How are you mixing in NS2?

My instinct is to export in to Abelton but my current project I want to mix and master in NS2. Can anyone advise their techniques the apps you use. Any tips would be hosum 🙏

Comments

• The stock effects are good for a lot of things, the EQ and compressor are very transparent. Maybe look into a multiband compressor like the toneboosters one? For saturation, I like Reamp.

• Thanks Stiksi I'm finding I'm using the stock EQ more and more now getting my head around it. Like TB I have the reverb and Dual VCF now, waiting for Black Friday to add to them. Can I ask what your mixing strategy is....many thanks.

• You can always print out all individual tracks and bring them into Ableton, there's nothing wrong with that. As for me, I use a hardware mixing console.

• @duresq said:
    Thanks Stiksi I'm finding I'm using the stock EQ more and more now getting my head around it. Like TB I have the reverb and Dual VCF now, waiting for Black Friday to add to them. Can I ask what your mixing strategy is....many thanks.

I export stems into Ableton. I’ve never felt comfortable mixing on a 13” screen.

• @Stiksi said:

@duresq said:
    Thanks Stiksi I'm finding I'm using the stock EQ more and more now getting my head around it. Like TB I have the reverb and Dual VCF now, waiting for Black Friday to add to them. Can I ask what your mixing strategy is....many thanks.

I export stems into Ableton. I’ve never felt comfortable mixing on a 13” screen.

Think that's going to be my choice too....tempted by upgrading to 10 while the deal is on. Do you have a Push 2 out of curiosity, interested in your impression if you have one. Thanks man

• edited November 2020

@duresq said:

@Stiksi said:

@duresq said:

Think that's going to be my choice too....tempted by upgrading to 10 while the deal is on. Do you have a Push 2 out of curiosity, interested in your impression if you have one. Thanks man

I do have a Push 2 but it’s a performance and sequencing tool. It doesn’t really do anything in Arrangement view, which you’ll be mostly using when mixing. If you spend most of your time outside the clip/performance view, it’s not really worth it. Looks like Live 11 doesn’t bring any change in this department. You can’t even zoom or move around in arrangement view on the Push.

You can edit effects and move faders, but to be honest, it’s usually faster to do it on the screen. There are arbitrary limitations on what devices you can load directly on the Push and it excludes some instrument racks. I love the playability of the pads, but it’s frustrating how half-baked the integration still is.

• Stiksi thanks for the real world perspective on the Push2 and answers some questions for me too. I've not really got my head around clip view being a bit old school. But after my initiation with iOS apps I'm starting to get it. I've just picked up the deal on Live 10 upgrade having the 9 Suite so future learn curving to come. Back to tutorials again....thanks again Stiksi👍

• @duresq said:
    Stiksi thanks for the real world perspective on the Push2 and answers some questions for me too. I've not really got my head around clip view being a bit old school. But after my initiation with iOS apps I'm starting to get it. I've just picked up the deal on Live 10 upgrade having the 9 Suite so future learn curving to come. Back to tutorials again....thanks again Stiksi👍

Cool! I hope you made sure you are eligible for the free Live 11 upgrade in January? Should be a decent feature bump!

• Mmm now you mention it not sure I am eligible I'll check.

• @Stiksi said:

@duresq said:
    Stiksi thanks for the real world perspective on the Push2 and answers some questions for me too. I've not really got my head around clip view being a bit old school. But after my initiation with iOS apps I'm starting to get it. I've just picked up the deal on Live 10 upgrade having the 9 Suite so future learn curving to come. Back to tutorials again....thanks again Stiksi👍

Cool! I hope you made sure you are eligible for the free Live 11 upgrade in January? Should be a decent feature bump!

Got a reply back from Abelton and seems like all good on the Live 11....2021 is looking exciting times ahead, new things to learn, new projects to create. Thank you everyone at NS 2 can't tell you what this has done for my mental health.🙏🙏🙏

• 👍👍👍

• Solid "What Stiksi Said" thread right here. :) Mainly because I've always really admired his mixing chops.

In case you want to keep it all NS, I'll just add this... as mentioned, NS' EQ and Compression are super transparent so don't be afraid to stack them up. I often have two (or more) EQs on a channel—one for HP and LP filtering and one for more surgical business (remember that you can change those EQ channel types). For UI reasons, you can't automate the EQ effect but you can automate "Stereo Filter"s — stack those up if you need to.

Also... you can add sends/busses until the cows come home so it's pretty easy to do parallel stuffs as well. Gets a little messy on a small screen (in a mixer that's really meant to quickly/effortlessly bang out bangers) but it's absolutely doable.

Combining those ideas... NS doesn't really have any 'flavorful' processing effects like tape saturation or a 'gritty' compressor (like, say, some of the TB effects). Still, because bussing is so cheap and the built-in effects are so transparent, you can really easily layer several built-in effects, each with subtle settings, to create some flavorful chains for sure.

• @Will said:
    Combining those ideas... NS doesn't really have any 'flavorful' processing effects like tape saturation or a 'gritty' compressor (like, say, some of the TB effects). Still, because bussing is so cheap and the built-in effects are so transparent, you can really easily layer several built-in effects, each with subtle settings, to create some flavorful chains for sure.

And then save the chains as presets, which is always a great time saver!

• Will and Stiksi thanks for your support and wisdom guys. 👍