Suggestions needed: Using Obsidian 'Multiplier' slot (mod matrix)

Tips on useful and/or surprising things to do with the "multiplier" slot in Obsidian's mod matrix?

(For reference: https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/nanostudio2/user-manual/Obsidian.html#modulation-matrix)

Comments

• Tricky one this. I figured it’s there to save on slots, as macro mapping can take up a fair bit of that matrix.

Macros seem to be more powerful in the mod source column, as you can set scaling/polarity.

You could multiply a macro by itself (e.g. ‘knob 1’ as both mod source and multiplier) and if I know maths, that’d give you an exponential response curve. This might make for a more pleasing sweep with some parameters.

And you could scale or ‘multiply’ knob 2 with knob 1, for example, or scale everything with knob 8. This might have a use in taming a wild patch, if you want calm and crazy in the same setup.

I don’t know. I’m as new to this as you are.

This stuff always makes me think of people who design guitar pedals.

• edited December 2018

@colonel_mustard That’s more than I’d come up with so far, and still leaves me suspecting we’re missing something. Ha!

I wonder what @StevePAL recommends!

• @OhWell said:
    @colonel_mustard That’s more than I’d come up with so far, and still leaves me suspecting we’re missing something. Ha!

I wonder what @StevePAL recommends!

Crept in to have a read, crept out again, somewhat non-plussed...

:)

• @OhWell I think @colonel_mustard pretty much nailed it. However, I tend to only use it for assigning to macro knobs in one place/saving the mod slot.

Pretty sure Matt intended it to be more of a mangler effect though if you wire things up in crazy ways. I should probably experiment with it a bit more as I have basically not touched it through years of use.

• I added them because I thought they'd be a good idea but personally I've only found some cases where they're handy. You're correct - they allow a macro to act as a multiplier on the modulation value.

eg. If you've got an LFO -> Osc pitch connection but you want Knob 1 to control how much influence the LFO has on pitch, you would add Knob 1 as the multiplier.

This could also be achieved in most cases by setting the LFO's Amount to zero and assigning Knob 1 to the LFO's Amount instead. I say in most cases, as this wouldn't work so well if the LFO's Amount control was being modulation by other (possibly multiple) sources.

• thinking about one very good reason to use it - it saves mod matrix slot, compared to classic "source: macro / destinstiom: whatever" routing !

• @Blip Interactive Not sure, but I wonder if they would have more uses if we could use any modulator in the multiplier slot rather than just macros. Would that cause technical problems?

• @OhWell
    @Blip Interactive Not sure, but I wonder if they would have more uses if we could use any modulator in the multiplier slot rather than just macros. Would that cause technical problems?

Sounds like insane two-dimensional mod matrix. Mad soundscientist's wet dream :lol: