Anybody replicate an old LFO arp, yet?

I know Obsidian doesn’t have an arp, just as Massive didn’t when it was released, but I also know that some people used to make a sort of faux arpeggio with tuned oscillators and LFOs. There are a couple examples of these in Obsidian, but I was wondering if anybody made their own “from scratch,” yet.

Comments

• Haha, I was thinking the same thing just an hour ago on my way back from work. Maybe some sort of tutorial will come up from the @StevePAL ? ;)
    Would be some content for an additional video on your awesome channel, though.

1. Aim the LFO at coarse tuning (starting with 'Init' LFO 1 is this by default)
    2. Set the range to 12 instead of 1 (in the mod matrix). This is a place to start - you can mix it up later.
    3. Change the LFO to a square wave to begin - square waves are nice and simple for sussing out/listening to modulation ranges.
    4. Hold a note and turn up the level knob for LFO 1, all the way up. Change the speed, sync it to bpm etc.
    5. Now that you're getting comfortable, change the LFO's waveform. Random Loop is the obvious go-to here. Turn the 'length' up and the rate down. Try the 'pattern' knob.
    6. Other wave types can be made into step sequencers with the 'QTZ' knob.
    7. Experiment :)
    8. When you like what you have, save your LFO. You can load it into any patch and hook it up.
  • edited December 2018

@Cinebient
    The difference is if you use an arp it will trigger the envelope for each note (at least in most arps) while using an LFO won‘t do this.

You can retrigger any envelope by any standard mod source, Including LFO :) If you set LFO > Env Retrigger modulation, every time when LFO goes from 0 to value above 0, it retriggers envelope.

• @dendy said:

@Cinebient
    The difference is if you use an arp it will trigger the envelope for each note (at least in most arps) while using an LFO won‘t do this.

You can retrigger any envelope by any standard mod source, Including LFO :) If you set LFO > Env Retrigger modulation, every time when LFO goes from 0 to value above 0, it retriggers envelope.

This is a great tip, thanks @dendy