Sample Patches in Obsidian

FWIW and for those who may not have used samples much in Obsidian, I thought I’d pass on a helpful tip. I’m working with some older samples of a synth that only have a single sample of the C note for each octave. Setting Key range of G below and F# above splits the octave logically, but I was often getting a noticeable ‘stepped’ change in tone between F# and G, especially in the higher octaves. Overlaping the key range helps aleviate this a lot. Sometimes just overlapping by setting the Min & Max ranges to F# (overlapping by one semitone) does it. For other samples overlapping the sample’s Key Range even more does the trick. Just thought you’d like to know if you haven’t tried it yet.

I also find that for many of the samples I am working with, setting the Sample Parameter to Loop Sustain really handles repetative clicks & pops of the sample looping quite nicely. This is one of my favorite features of the Sample Oscillators. Another trick I use is to have samples or synthesis on the other oscillators - that really helps cover any clicky loop points.

I’m betting many of the sound designer geniuses on this forum already knew these things. If anyone has some other Sample Oscilator tips, please share.

Comments

• Haven’t touched the sample part yet but good to know. Thanks.

• edited January 2019

For me one of best things is how easy you can set / alter sustain loop with drag handles in audio editor .. you don't need constantly zoom in / zoom out and scroll between loop start and loop end like in most of other editors - you simply set loop just roughly when unzoomed, then you zoom into start and do fine tuning using left drag handle - if you then want to adjust loop end, immediately you touch right handle - it jumps automatically to end of loop with zoom preserved .. That is amazing workflow boost.

Also "spectral loop" mode is something really mindblowing ( look here : https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/community/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/4903/#Comment_4903)

Last thing is possiblity to automate sample start, loop start and loop length - opens whole new range of possibilities like "fake timestretch" or "fake audiotracks" :)

I think Obsidian sampling abilities are underrated by some people, but that is mistake. It is actually pretty powerfull. Yes, no real timestretching for now, or non destructive start/end/loop editing, but still lot of posibilities for being creative :)

• Time stretching tbh, isn’t that great anyway. Unless the algorithm is of exception quality, then TS always adds artefacts which can make the sound muddy. Maybe that’s changed now I don’t know, but....

• @tom_tm said:
    Time stretching tbh, isn’t that great anyway. Unless the algorithm is of exception quality, then TS always adds artefacts which can make the sound muddy. Maybe that’s changed now I don’t know, but....

Caustic has pretty good timestretch and pitch change and it’s a $10 app. It can be done and I imagine when audio tracks are implemented in NS2 we will see something as good if not better.

• Thanks for those tips dendy! I haven’t yet messed around with “automate sample start, loop start and loop length” but I will keep those it mind. I’ve used Spectral Loop a little. Sometimes when I don’t like the direction a sound/patch is going, Spectral Loop will provide a different take that is more interesting.

• Plastique though as a VST costs £140 or so. Blip Interactive would have to licence the technology and I would guess that much of the money (which is already low for an app, compared to desktop systems) will be going to pay for that licensing. So it’s not as easy as just adding to NS2. I bet Intua are in exactly the same boat, and seeing that iOS to many isn’t seen as a 'serious' platform, I’d also imagine that competition on iOS is also extremely tight.

• Plastique isn’t good for time stretch because it’s kinda stiff. Therefore Elastique should be a better option.
    Sorry, I just couldn’t resist.

• When it comes to timestretch, I'll definitely be licensing something. I'd probably have to disappear for at least 2 years to do it myself, and even then it wouldn't be as good as a more mature 'off the shelf' solution.

• edited January 2019

Haha! My eyes (and memory) are really shit these days. Just wait until you hit 52! It’s a complete bastard! Still this bottle of Plum schnapps... another glug will sort that....

• @Blip Interactive said:
    When it comes to timestretch, I'll definitely be licensing something. I'd probably have to disappear for at least 2 years to do it myself, and even then it wouldn't be as good as a more mature 'off the shelf' solution.

I’m hoping the cost of that license will be offset through an IAP.

• Would love to see the addition of Timestretch and I would be perfectly happy to pay for it via IAP.