Support for SFZ format

So we can easily import our own already made multisamples.

Comments

• edited August 2019

i was thinking about SFZ -> Obsidian patch online converter app, do you think it would make sense to have something like that ? From what i checked, it should be not big problem to code such tool

• That would be awesome

• @dendy said:
    i was thinking about SFZ -> Obsidian patch online converter app, do you think it would make sense to have something like that ? From what i checked, it should be not big problem to code such tool

Nice. If you put it on github or similar, I'd be glad to help.

• edited August 2019

@dendy said:

would be cool i think... do you think Obsidian can handle big multisamples like a 1GB Piano ?

• edited August 2019

do you think Obsidian can handle big multisamples like a 1GB Piano ?

don't think so - Obs loads all samples into memory, so it would probably kill NS :-)

Obsidian does not have the features to support SFZ, you mean just importing SFZ sample maps I guess ?

Even then you will have to work out how to deal with layers etc too.

yeah of course it would be limited conversion with omitting not supported features - but some are possible.. up to 3 velocity layers, 24 zones per layer, zones crossfading, envelopes, modulations, basic stuff is possible...for lot people even such basic conversion will be enough

does Obsidian auto read loops embedded in wavs

yes, actually if you editing "sustain loop" in NS audio editor, it saves this loop inside wav file as standard wav loop points

• @dendy said:
    yeah of course it would be limited conversion with omitting not supported features - but some are possible.. up to 3 velocity layers, 24 zones per layer, zones crossfading, envelopes, modulations, basic stuff is possible...

Slow down!

for lot people even such basic conversion will be enough

This. Zones+Layers alone would be valuable all by itself. Think the trickiest bit would be extrapolating the best spots for the 24 zones if the original SFZ has say, 36 zones or 61 zones or... Which to drop, which to stretch, where to center them, etc.

Then, you can try to sort out how modulations (etc) might map from semi-random SFZ op codes to Obsidian parameters.

If I were your PM :) :
    1.0 Zones.
    1.1 Layers.
    1.2 = Crossfading.
    1.3 = AMP envelope.
    1.4 = move on to something else!

• any news about the converter tool ? =)

• A converter tool would be awesome, especially if it could do EXS files too.

• edited October 2019

@tobi77 said:
    any news about the converter tool ? =)

sorry, no, it's still just unrealised plan.. last few months i'm extremely overloaded at work and don't have any spare energy to code something at evening :(

• @dendy said:

@tobi77 said:
    any news about the converter tool ? =)

sorry, no, it's still just unrealised plan.. last few months i'm extremely overloaded at work and don't have any spare energy to code something at evening :(

You are testing that Audio Track IAP though, correct? 😉

• edited October 2019

You are testing that Audio Track IAP though, correct?

Sorry cannot reveal any internal information otherwise i would be killed :-)))

Actually truth is lot more boring and involves tenths of thousands lines of JavaScript and PHP and scary SQL queries bigger than anybody can imagine :-D

• edited January 2020

There is an app called 'bs-16i' it's basically a sound font player which is AUv3. So you can play it within NS2. Hope this helps some for now. :-)

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/bismark-bs-16i/id388149926

• @dendy said:

You are testing that Audio Track IAP though, correct?

Sorry cannot reveal any internal information otherwise i would be killed :-)))

Actually truth is lot more boring and involves tenths of thousands lines of JavaScript and PHP and scary SQL queries bigger than anybody can imagine :-D

Unfortunately, dendy has now been killed for revealing our internal assassination pact. Sorry about that, chief. 💀🤓