Send program change to external midi device

Is it possible to send program change signal to an external midi device? My Boss VE-500 can receive these commands to select the correct patch and i would like to make use of it with NS2 as the controller if possible

Comments

• Unfortunately, NS2 doesn't support Program Change.

I tried adding mfxConvert as a MIDI AU FX to convert a cc value to PC value, but couldn't get that to work inside NS2. You could, however use something hosted externally to convert a note or CC to PC after it has left NS2. But that complicates setup.

• Thanks man. Complicating the setup isn't necessarily a problem. Do you know of any hardware which is capable of doing this? I tried searching but found loads of software but no hardware. The one time you want google to put products at the top of the search results :#

• Hmm, I was just able to get mfxConvert working. I created an external MIDI device in NS2, and added mfxConvert as a midi effect on that device. I created a simple remapping of C0 to C1 and D0 to D1, and when I used the keyboard on NS2 with the MIDI out connected to a hardware synth, those notes were indeed remapped. So I'm going to try connecting it to my BOSS pedal and see if I can get it to respond to program change commands triggered by remapped notes in NS2.

• Interesting. I wasn't able to get that to work. I'm glad you did.

As far as a software solution goes if that doesn't work, you can always add mfxConvert to another host like Audiobus, AUM, or ApeMatrix, then send the midi out there, through mfxConvert, and then on to the hardware.

No need for a hardware solution.

• Thanks man. Well, hardware-wise it worked. The USB MIDI interface is able to send program change commands to the BOSS pedal. However, I can't get it to work in mfxConvert. I used a different app, just called "program changer" and as soon as I entered a patch number and pressed send, the BOSS changed patch. But when I do it using a converted note to patch change command, it doesn't work. I don't know if it's because mfxConvert is sending a different command, or if something in the conversion is getting messed up, or if NS2 is also sending the note I play along with the MIDI command, but either way I'm stuck at present :/

• Oh just to add, sadly the program changer app is completely standalone, so no possibility of integrating it with NS2

• @BjørnFelle said:
    Thanks man. Well, hardware-wise it worked. The USB MIDI interface is able to send program change commands to the BOSS pedal. However, I can't get it to work in mfxConvert. I used a different app, just called "program changer" and as soon as I entered a patch number and pressed send, the BOSS changed patch. But when I do it using a converted note to patch change command, it doesn't work. I don't know if it's because mfxConvert is sending a different command, or if something in the conversion is getting messed up, or if NS2 is also sending the note I play along with the MIDI command, but either way I'm stuck at present :/

I’m not too clear on what you’ve tried so far. When I tried using mfxConvert inside NS2, it didn’t seem like it could react to NS2 internal midi input in order to output anything. Yet you say you were able to do that. But now it sounds like it’s not working for you, so I’m all confused. =)

What I would do is to load mfxConvert into AudioBus or AUM, send the NS2 output there, through mfxConvert, and out to the hardware. But you may not have Audiobus or another host, or not want to go to that trouble.

So, my next suggestion is the old standby app Midiflow. It’s a standalone app that can run in the background and convert messages from pretty much anything to anything else and send it along. It’s a powerful app, and so, could be intimidating to learn, but it can definitely do the job.

MidiFire is another similar app that can do the job.

Both those apps may require IAP’s to do the conversion you need. Sorry, I’m not sure at the moment if or which ones would be needed.

• i would suggest MIDIFLOW too ... great app... super stable, works like a breeze and containa all kind of note/cc/pc remappings ...