Recording Vocals

edited May 2020 in General chat

I haven't found where people are already discussing this. It's a noob question, but all of my questions are, so here we go.

In NanoStudio 1, I found it easier to synchronizing vocal samples when I was recording them. It was easy to line up the recording with the time point in the song where I wanted my sample to begin. Because of that it was fairly simple to record the vocal tracks on songs that I was composing.

With this new version, I haven't figured out how to do sync vocals into a song in a very straightforward way. I think it's probably not supposed to be as complicated as it seems to be. I know I'm not describing this in great detail, or any detail, but is there a tutorial somewhere that guides one through laying vocals in NanoStudio 2?

I'm also more accustomed to the controls for the reverb and delay effects in the older version. It stands to reason that this version does more and in more nuanced ways, but I just haven't figured out how to make the same kinds of intense reverbs that I used to add to vocals with NanoStudio 1.

I am a long-time supporter and I am very happy with NanoStudio 2, but I've not quite made the transition so smoothly.

Last but not least, the Eden synthesizer voice that I used most in the previous version, Distorted View, is not available anymore. Someone here helped me to make a rough approximation (thank you!!!), but man do I miss that synth voice.

Thanks for any and all views.

Comments

• edited May 2020

Yes, to be honest, recording into the sampler is a mixed bag: on the one hand, NS's sample editing capabilities are way better than NS1's but on the other, I don't think Matt intended it to be used in this way, counting on audio tracks to handle the brunt of the heavy audio lifting. So I'm not aware of a way to make synced audio recordings directly inside NS2, even if you start the song and the recording at the same time, they don't line up. But you can do two things:

1. Do a clap in the beginning of the recording on beat, then in the sample editor, turn on beat grid, trim to the clap, turn on snapping and trim away any excess. Now you have an accurately synced recording.
    2. Record your vocal into another app using Audiobus and Ableton Link.

Neither is ideal, but they're not too cumbersome either, at least the first one. And I'm still hoping I'm wrong and dendy or someone will swoop in again and chide me for my ignorance, as they should.

• Thank you for the response! It's helpful enough just to know that I'm not missing something. Syncing and effects were easier on the old version. That being said, I still love this version.

• @Stiksi said:

1. Record your vocal into another app using Audiobus and Ableton Link.

Any recommendations or favorites?

• @internalogic said:

@Stiksi said:

1. Record your vocal into another app using Audiobus and Ableton Link.

Any recommendations or favorites?

Unfortunately no, I use Audioshare, but I don't think it does Link. Maybe Loopy Pro? I haven't used it but I used the heck out of Loopy when I was still on NS1. I hope someone else can give you better insight for this.

• Thanks, again. I actually have AudioShare, but haven't been using it for anything like this. Anyway, the learning journey continues.

• edited May 2020

@internalogic
    In NanoStudio 1, I found it easier to synchronizing vocal samples when I was recording them. It was easy to line up the recording with the time point in the song where I wanted my sample to begin. Because of that it was fairly simple to record the vocal tracks on songs that I was composing.

this is strange because recording features in NS2 are same like in NS1 (plus some details improved)

can you exactly explain your workflow in NS1 which you cannot reproduce in NS2 ? Maybe i'm missing something but recording audio in sync with project playing on background should work basically same way (of not better*) like in NS1

(*) improvememt, comoared to NS1 recorder, is possibility to set treshold NS2 really starts record only when input signal is over this threshold (so you started singing, for examole) for perfect recording without initial recorded silence

• edited May 2020

@dendy said:
    this is strange because recording features in NS2 are same like in NS1 (plus some details improved)

Did you try it? Because I can't find a synchronized start setting for recording and sequencer start and I remember this being discussed during beta. Even if I tap both buttons at the same time, for some reason the recording doesn't line up with the beats if I turn on Beat Grid. This means that there's a trimming stage involved that wasn't there in NS1.

The point is, the recording has to start at the exact same moment the playback starts, otherwise the sample start point doesn't line up and you have to either trim the sample to the grid or hunt the exact starting point down and place your trigger note at that point. Most of the time vocals don't start on the one in my experience, so threshold is less useful, unless you use a clap.

• @internalogic I suggest using Blocs Wave on the same iDevice to record synched loops. The free version does it, which is nice as well :)

To make it happen,
    1. use Ableton Link to synch both apps,
    2. make sure your tempo is right (and Link hasn't changed it),
    3. loop your beat in NS2 so you have something to record over
    4. record as many takes of the loop as you want in Blocs Wave
    5. export the loop to NS2 (long press the loop in Blocs Wave, then select export).

I tend to move any loop from the NS2 Inbox to the Project folder and rename it, just to keep tidy.

IMO it's quite a quick and easy workflow - not quite as good as recording directly into a pad, but pretty good. You can still edit the samples once in NS2 for any noise or level changes, of course.

I'm writing this from memory - I haven't done it in a while - so please yell out if you can't make it work and I'll check that I've described it well enough.

Hope this works for you! :)

• @Stiksi said:

@dendy said:

Did you try it? Because I can't find a synchronized start setting for recording and sequencer start and I remember this being discussed during beta. Even if I tap both buttons at the same time, for some reason the recording doesn't line up with the beats if I turn on Beat Grid. This means that there's a trimming stage involved that wasn't there in NS1.

The point is, the recording has to start at the exact same moment the playback starts, otherwise the sample start point doesn't line up and you have to either trim the sample to the grid or hunt the exact starting point down and place your trigger note at that point. Most of the time vocals don't start on the one in my experience, so threshold is less useful, unless you use a clap.

Yes, it is exactly as @Stiksi describes. That’s the issue. And it actually significantly influences workflow. I’m glad he could describe it because I actually didn’t have the precise words.

(Sorry for this long delay in responding. I didn’t realize that anyone else had responded to my question.)

Another change I’ve found is that it’s less intuitive to adjust reverb settings when recording vocals on a Slate pad. They seem to have a narrower range.

I don’t consider these to be major criticisms. I’m basically a fan. But I’m just trying to make it work.

• Thank you!!!! I’ll try this.

@Trigger_the_Monkey said:
    @internalogic I suggest using Blocs Wave on the same iDevice to record synched loops. The free version does it, which is nice as well :)

To make it happen,
    1. use Ableton Link to synch both apps,
    2. make sure your tempo is right (and Link hasn't changed it),
    3. loop your beat in NS2 so you have something to record over
    4. record as many takes of the loop as you want in Blocs Wave
    5. export the loop to NS2 (long press the loop in Blocs Wave, then select export).

I tend to move any loop from the NS2 Inbox to the Project folder and rename it, just to keep tidy.

IMO it's quite a quick and easy workflow - not quite as good as recording directly into a pad, but pretty good. You can still edit the samples once in NS2 for any noise or level changes, of course.

I'm writing this from memory - I haven't done it in a while - so please yell out if you can't make it work and I'll check that I've described it well enough.

Hope this works for you! :)

• @Stiksi said:

@dendy said:

yup. Pretty much everything about the sampling experience is improved in NS2 other than the ability to synchronize the sample's start with the song clock.

• Hopefully, we can all agree that synchrony is a pretty important feature when it comes to composing music.

And again as @Stiksi pointed out my vocals basically never begin on the one. It's a very rare case when they do.

Also, I haven't found the reverb settings for samples/drum pads to have the range and intuitive simplicity that they had in the previous build. Other than that, I agree with @Will. What I love about NanoStudio2 is the effortless cleanness of the mixes it produces. Sounds so much more live than the previous build.

The final thing I miss is the Eden Synthesizer voices. Especially B17 Distorted View, but a number of other voices as well.

@Will said:
    yup. Pretty much everything about the sampling experience is improved in NS2 other than the ability to synchronize the sample's start with the song clock.

• @Trigger_the_Monkey said:
    @internalogic I suggest using Blocs Wave on the same iDevice to record synched loops. The free version does it, which is nice as well :)

From what I was able to observe, Blocs Wave restricts you to 4/4 time signature. I like to work in 3/4, 5/4, 7/4 and so on. So.....the quest continues.

• edited June 2020

Hey @internalogic,

I have used ‘MultiTrack Recorder by 4 Pockets’ in a NS2 project.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/multitrack-recorder-plugin/id1483833410

It’s long winded, but it works(ed).

In that case I had to record the vocals in Auria Pro first, then *edit them there, then import them into 4Pocket MT, and use that as an AUv3 on a NS2 track (not sure if I could do all of that too often).

But it’s also the best way to be able to start the NS2 project anywhere in the timeline, and have the vocals play immediately.

(For me) this is the best option until Audio-Tracks arrive..

King

“*edit them” as there were a number of backing vocal tracks too. So arrangement etc, (which could be done in MT, but is a lot more fiddlier there).

• @King said:
    Hey @internalogic,

In that case I had to record the vocals in Auria Pro first, then *edit them there, then import them into 4Pocket MT, and use that as an AUv3 on a NS2 track (not sure if I could do all of that too often).

But it’s also the best way to be able to start the NS2 project anywhere in the timeline, and have the vocals play immediately.

King

“*edit them” as there were a number of backing vocal tracks too. So arrangement etc, (which could be done in MT, but is a lot more fiddlier there).

I really hope I can work it through that way. I have been looking out for the simplest way to get my vocals into NS2. I will normally export all my arrangements in NS2 to Cubasis 2 where I add my vocals. I really pray blipinteractive will come up with the audio track soon

• edited June 2020

@LanreEj said:

@King said:
    Hey @internalogic,

King

I really hope I can work it through that way. I have been looking out for the simplest way to get my vocals into NS2. I will normally export all my arrangements in NS2 to Cubasis 2 where I add my vocals. I really pray blipinteractive will come up with the audio track soon

Yeah!

Audio-Tracks in NanoStudio 2 ... the missing link.

King

• @King said:
    Hey @internalogic,

King

Me, I basically do the same thing as @LanreEj - export the arrangement to Cubasis 3 (grouping tracks and iPhone compatibility are crucial features for me), record vocals there (both the main and the backing), clean them up with Brusfri, and dump them back in NS2 to be placed in Slate. Easy peasy.

I'm hoping Audiotracks are coming soon so I can do things internally. To the beta testers - how close are we anyways? :)

• @internalogic said:
    The final thing I miss is the Eden Synthesizer voices. Especially B17 Distorted View, but a number of other voices as well.

That really was a lovely sound. It was the basis for so so many of my customized sounds. I bet @dendy could recreate something quite close in Obsidian if beg/harass him enough. :)

All of the controls are available in Obsidian but the internal algorithms for everything are so improved that the upper-mid smeary/crunchy thing of the Eden patch might be impossible to fully recreate.

• edited June 2020

@Will said:

@internalogic said:

That really was a lovely sound. It was the basis for so so many of my customized sounds. I bet @dendy could recreate something quite close in Obsidian if beg/harass him enough. :)

All of the controls are available in Obsidian but the internal algorithms for everything are so improved that the upper-mid smeary/crunchy thing of the Eden patch might be impossible to fully recreate.

Interesting challenge .. unfortunately NS1 desktop version doesn't work on Catalina and i haven't any iOS device capable to run NS1 .. but if you can upload this:

• samples from C0 to C7 (simple note, probably around 1 - 2 sec long) so i can get idea about sound character
    • screenshots of Eden edit and mod matrix screens (so i can see how is that patch approximately programmed)

then i can try do my best to reproduce it in Obsidian ;)

Btw. if i good remember, i was inspired by (or tried to reproduce in some form) around 12-15 Eden patches in Obsidian factory, they are just a little bit different named (for example there is patch "SweptTeeth" which was inspired by one well known Eden factory preset :)) ...

There is few hidden gems and few jokes in factory (like "Nick B Tribute", patch full of pulse modulation, even two years after release nobody noticed this one) - i'm suspicious that most people check just few patches from factory and almost nobody really goes through all presets there ..

• @dendy said:

@internalogic

can you exactly explain your workflow in NS1 which you cannot reproduce in NS2 ? Maybe i'm missing something but recording audio in sync with project playing on background should work basically same way (of not better*) like in NS1

(*) improvememt, comoared to NS1 recorder, is possibility to set treshold NS2 really starts record only when input signal is over this threshold (so you started singing, for examole) for perfect recording without initial recorded silence

Alright! Here is what Dendy is saying to do. I WAS HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM!

Okay so this is for anybody needing to record yourself singing WITH what you have already recorded in your song.

In other words if you have made a song and now want to record yourself singing to it live (add vocals) follow these instructions.

I use an irig mic for this, but it should work even with external iPad mic

1. With your project already opened touch the metronome bar on top and make sure that the song loop button is enabled. This allows you on the main track page's upper bar to select and hone in on the part in your song you want to record your vocals to. It will be a blue bar that you can move the sides to adjust the part of your song that plays.

1. Use the blue bar to select the section you want to record to. It is a good idea to set it before where you want to start signing and have a drum or something to help count you in.
    2. Add a slate track
    3. Open up the new slate track
      1. On the left side click sample
        6.. Click an open slate track pad
      2. Near the left click the red REC button
      3. Make sure input is set to mono and usually channel one.
      4. You will see that the middle slot is called threshold. This allows you to set the noise level required to ACTUALLY start recording after you press the red record button. On the left (1st slot) you should see a blue volume bar rise and fall when you speak. And there is two small black lines on the side. The two black lines will move up and down when you adjust the second slots threshold slider.
      5. You want to set the threshold so that the two lines are above wherever the blue volume bar resides when your room is quiet.
      6. Now click to red record button (this arms it). It will not start to record no until you start singing.
      7. Press the play button in the sequencer bar. Your song should start playing.
      8. Start singing live whenever you hear the part you want your vocals.
      9. When finished press pause and click the small blue check mark in the upper left corner. (Here you can modify your sample but that is another story)
      10. Now click the blue X in the upper left. The same spot the blue check mark was.
      11. Click save as and name it what you want
      12. Now you will see the name in the pad you have selected. Now click the pad icon on left under the sample icon.
      13. Near the bottom left there is a knob that says D2. You need to get it all the way to the left so that it says infinite. If you don't do this your sample will only play for a little while and them fade away.
      14. Lastly, you have to trigger your sample. To do this press the stop icon in the upper right and tap the rewind button once. If you hit play now the song should start playing where you were recording your audio. You are going to click rec now and then tap the pad containing your sample exactly when you would start singing to your music. This will insert your sample to the main mix so that in the future when you press play it will play with your song.
      15. Sometimes you press the button a little late or early, then just go in and edit the "note" and move it around where you need it just like you would if you played a note on the piano wrong.

That is it! These directions probably aren't perfect, but they work for me! I hope this helps somebody else out!

Take care!

• Found a convenient way to record so that I don’t need to do any trims nor alignments. Simply place the playback head to the beginning of some bar N, and start both the playback and the recording from there simultaneously. It’s quite easy to press the two buttons without a significant time difference, e.g. by using two fingers of the same hand. Once you’re done with the recording simply trigger the note from the start of the bar N. Done, vocals are in sync