Static

On iPads w latest version. Getting a static sound when hitting keys or drum pads. Both on recording and in playback. Playing music from other sources on iPad is fine so not the speakers.

Comments

• edited May 2022

Not enough info to understand what the problem might be. What I do is boot up my iPad and open NS2 first, not any other app. This helps because if you open another app it will affect CPU allocation. This is just a general tip, not necessarily static related, but could be.
    The problems usually occurs with other apps. Try creating a project that is just NS2, using Obsidian and Slate only, and see if there is still static. If not, then you’ll know that NS2 is likely not causing the static. Then create a project with AUV3 apps and see if there is static, and if so which apps seems to cause static. Test by creating a project with that AUV3 in another DAW like Garageband. If the app causes static in Garagaeband as well, then you have evidence that the app is causing issues.

I am chasing down a similar problem right now on my iPhone. Turns out the problem seems to be BLEASS Alpha. It causes distortion in standalone mode… not good.
    I’m trying to get a clean sample in AudioShare to get around the static & popping that is clearly audible distortion. If I can get a clean sample into Slate, I can continue with the project. If not… I have to work harder to fix the problem.

• “Static” (ie noise) could be anything but my first port of call is to use a Stereo Gain on the inserts of each track which I can move up & down the fx chain so as to easily spot if I have any fx plugin outputting too hot in to another and that may be being masked further down the chain by a limiter - this might cause you to hear distortion even if the overall volume of that track isn’t very high.

• tried all of the above. Still static, esp when hitting iPad screen to play kybd or drums. All other sounds outside of NS2 are distortion free. ??? Thanks o your responses.

• @TakkAtakk said:
    “Static” (ie noise) could be anything but my first port of call is to use a Stereo Gain on the inserts of each track which I can move up & down the fx chain so as to easily spot if I have any fx plugin outputting too hot in to another and that may be being masked further down the chain by a limiter - this might cause you to hear distortion even if the overall volume of that track isn’t very high.

Nice tip @TakkAtakk !!

• @midnite said:
    tried all of the above. Still static, esp when hitting iPad screen to play kybd or drums. All other sounds outside of NS2 are distortion free. ??? Thanks o your responses.

That’s truly baffling. Do you have the external mic active?