Inter app Audio support

edited December 2018 in Support

Will nanostudio 2 ever have inter app audio support in the future?

Comments

• There are no plans to support IAA

• edited December 2018

This makes me so sad! Please reconsider @Blip Interactive !!

A lot of the best touchscreen interface instruments are only IAA. Not to mention the money that was spent on buying those. I feel support should be included and just made clear,’this form is not as stable as AU, use at own risk’.

Otherwise NS2 will never be able to be many people’s ‘only daw’. And iOS workflow is already fractured enough, without the necessity for multiple daws just to be able to use those classic iOS instruments that helped to build the platform and were the reason many people paid any attention to it to begin with...

I hate IAA. But I LOVE some of those instruments....

• I’m all for the lack of IAA and hopefully it will make the long haul of these types of instruments to AU that much quicker

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    I’m all for the lack of IAA and hopefully it will make the long haul of these types of instruments to AU that much quicker

Samplr will never be AU :/ I don’t see how having an option hurts anyone? Just don’t use it if you don’t need it. A lot of people still use a few apps that are important to them that aren’t au. Maybe in like 2 years there’ll be new apps that can replace those, but for now I think it’s a lame move for a daw to appear that isn’t backward compatible. Desktop daws for example generally support all previous plugin standards. Niche shouldn’t = totally abandon. It’s just not the done thing to do... kind of a kick in the teeth for anyone that has spent money on any IAA apps they love.... they aren’t going to be able to find a smooth overall iOS workflow with ns2 without support for the apps they use. It’s needlessly brutal...

• edited December 2018

And I think it’s kind of arrogant also. Like ‘oh people will want to use ns2 more than they will any other daw, or any particular IAA, so either those IAA apps will get updated or people will use multiple daws’... that equation ignores the fact that other iOS daws that support IAA exist and who knows how good those daws might become after updates now there’s a new kid in town to compete with... potentially harmful to sales and popularity imho.

• @flockz said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    I’m all for the lack of IAA and hopefully it will make the long haul of these types of instruments to AU that much quicker

Samplr will never be AU :/ I don’t see how having an option hurts anyone? Just don’t use it if you don’t need it. A lot of people still use a few apps that are important to them that aren’t au. Maybe in like 2 years there’ll be new apps that can replace those, but for now I think it’s a lame move for a daw to appear that isn’t backward compatible. Desktop daws for example generally support all previous plugin standards. Niche shouldn’t = totally abandon. It’s just not the done thing to do... kind of a kick in the teeth for anyone that has spent money on any IAA apps they love.... they aren’t going to be able to find a smooth overall iOS workflow with ns2 without support for the apps they use. It’s needlessly brutal...

Do you have AUM? Liljedahl is another developer who is pushing iOS music apps forward. If you have AUM, you can record all kinds of stuff simultaneously. I get that it would be nice to have IAA support in-app, but if you really need you IAA apps and you have no other workaround, I would suggest AUM. It’s pricey, though. $18.99 US, I think.

• @flockz said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

If the option could be added with no detriment to the stability of the app and code as iOS evolves (and the dev doesn’t mind the hassle of updating), then I agree that’s fine. If adding this had any detriment to the stability and updates over time then I would prefer not to have it. In the later case, I can continue to have Cubasis as my fallback option for using older apps.

Personally I would still prefer to see it not included and for IAA to die a death.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@flockz said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

If the option could be added with no detriment to the stability of the app and code as iOS evolves (and the dev doesn’t mind the hassle of updating), then I agree that’s fine. If adding this had any detriment to the stability and updates over time then I would prefer not to have it. In the later case, I can continue to have Cubasis as my fallback option for using older apps.

Personally I would still prefer to see it not included and for IAA to die a death.

I think it’s weird for people to not want backward compatibility. Like praying for a rare psu to break on a hardware synth, just because that synth is kind of a pita to use... choice is good.

• @kleptolia said:

@flockz said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

Do you have AUM? Liljedahl is another developer who is pushing iOS music apps forward. If you have AUM, you can record all kinds of stuff simultaneously. I get that it would be nice to have IAA support in-app, but if you really need you IAA apps and you have no other workaround, I would suggest AUM. It’s pricey, though. $18.99 US, I think.

Too clunky. I use daws when I want to get away from that kind of workflow. I have and like AUM though, great app!

• @flockz said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@flockz said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

I think it’s weird for people to not want backward compatibility. Like praying for a rare psu to break on a hardware synth, just because that synth is kind of a pita to use... choice is good.

And I respect you opinion- I just don’t share it. Yes, some backwards compatibility is good in some situations, but that doesn’t always equate to it being good or desired all the time and forever. Opinions will always vary on when and how tech is phased out or dropped.

• edited December 2018

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@flockz said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@flockz said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

And I respect you opinion- I just don’t share it. Yes, some backwards compatibility is good in some situations, but that doesn’t always equate to it being good or desired all the time and forever. Opinions will always vary on when and how tech is phased out or dropped.

I think with this its more a case of which apps people use and care about. If you don’t use any IAA that you don’t want to be without then an opinion is kind of irrelevant as the outcome doesn’t effect you either way...

And I don’t think it’s a DAW’s place to take it upon themselves to phase out these things tbh.... like I said, a bit arrogant imho..

• @flockz said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@flockz said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@flockz said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

I think with this its more a case of which apps people use and care about. If you don’t use any IAA that you don’t want to be without then an opinion is kind of irrelevant as the outcome doesn’t effect you either way...

And I don’t think it’s a DAW’s place to take it upon themselves to phase out these things tbh.... like I said, a bit arrogant imho..

I have a large selection of IAA apps, but only tend to record them as I find IAA to be unreliable within a host for my use scenarios.

I think it’s a devs place to decide what is more important to their vision and not be structured by terms like ‘DAW’. Some apps include certain things while others don’t. I do understand it’s tough when a new app that we mostly love does not include something we desire (that’s all hosts for myself lack at least one feature I really want). I think though that calling this arrogant is probably coming more from that feeling of loss than anywhere else. Sorry if that doesn’t sit well. I’m not trying to rial you up, it’s just that when you really sit and listen to the NS2 dev, arrogance is the last word I would equate to him.

• I use a lot of IAA apps. I record them into AudioShare, then import into NS2. It's pretty easy actually.

• i use IAA apps as well recorded in audioshare. but honestly i think iaa is something i hope more developers avoid so it can slowly phase out. im personally hoping more new apps will be auv3 only and new creative ways to use auv3 will be implemented. i fully support blips decision to not use iaa.

• @gordon_bombay said:
    i use IAA apps as well recorded in audioshare. but honestly i think iaa is something i hope more developers avoid so it can slowly phase out. im personally hoping more new apps will be auv3 only and new creative ways to use auv3 will be implemented. i fully support blips decision to not use iaa.

Blip not supporting au isn’t going to make all existing IAA get converted to au. And it won’t make all new apps have AU. Blip doesn’t have that kind of influence and many devs don’t have the time or inclination to make AU versions. No IAA support just causes headaches for anyone wanting to use some of the amazing IAA out there in ns2... it’s making things awkward for a lot of people when it really isn’t necessary to do so. I don’t understand it at all tbh. It changes nothing. IAA still exist and Other daws still support IAA...it only ‘phases IAA out’ inside of ns2...premature by a year or two imho.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    I do understand it’s tough when a new app that we mostly love does not include something we desire (that’s all hosts for myself lack at least one feature I really want).

Word. Seriously, every APP I own is missing something I really want 😖 It’s frustrating enough to make me think about becoming a developer myself, just so I could get the exact feature sets I need...

• Basically for a daw that’s hyped as streamlined and stress free workflow, It’s clearly way less streamlined and stress free here. Now, today. There’s no grey area...

au is the future, totally agreed. But only fools ignore the past and present, a lot of people still use these apps so suggestions like ‘record it in to AudioShare’ etc just fry my mind...that’s a lame workflow/feature omission from any angle, it’s not a workflow to be promoted and dressed up as optimal or for the greater good.

There’s ‘forward thinking’ and then there’s ‘premature and unnecessary’, no IAA support whatsoever is definitely the latter. Maybe in couple of years, but the landscape is not there yet...

• edited December 2018

@Fruitbat1919 said:

This !

• edited December 2018

@dendy said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

This ! We users should push hard on IAA devs to rework their apps to AUv3 ...

Yeah, but until EVERYTHING is au, ns2 should support IAA.

half the IAA app devs out there don’t even care about the conversations going on here... they’ll just say ‘use it standalone or with a host that supports IAA’, or ‘cant be bothered with that extra work just to earn a few bucks’....it’s the same as some feature requests here are met with ‘you should use another daw’... One daw not supporting IAA won’t change much else out there in terms of suddenly making devs make previously unplanned Au....dreaming....it’s not healthy or accurate to see the whole of the iOS landscape as something that revolves around ns2 ;)

• @flockz said:

@dendy said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

half the IAA app devs out there don’t even care about the conversations going on here... they’ll just say ‘use it standalone or with a host that supports IAA’, or ‘cant be bothered with that extra work just to earn a few bucks’....it’s the same as some feature requests here are met with ‘you should use another daw’... One daw not supporting IAA won’t change much else out there in terms of suddenly making devs make previously unplanned Au....dreaming....it’s not healthy or accurate to see the whole of the iOS landscape as something that revolves around ns2 ;)

Fair enough, but the same could be said the other way around - it’s not healthy to see NS2 as something that needs to revolve around the rest of the iOS landscape. Why should NS2 revolve around the IAA idea until all IAAs become AU?

I can empathise with your desire for this feature, but some of us simply do not agree. Saying something ‘should’ is too defining. You would like it to, but that doesn’t automatically mean that it should.

It’s really down to the dev as in all additions we’ve asked for. Best thing is make your case for the addition the best you can and I’m sure the dev considers all reasonable requests.

• edited December 2018

IAA. Bleh. I’d rather put up with recording what I need from IAA apps elsewhere and import it. Or export NS2 stems and mix somewhere else than have that garbage polluting the app. I fully support the notion of not having NS2 as an IAA host.

It would be very nice if NS2 can someday run inside AudioBus and possibly in IAA hosts, but even that I’m not going to obsess over.

You have every right to push for what youd like to see, but to suggest arrogance is way off base. If the man who puts the years of sweat into building this app decides isn’t a good use of his time, no one who has invested a mere $30 has any right to judge his motives. Especially when no one forced or tricked them into buying the app and Apple has a refund mechanism in place if it was a mistake. I don’t begrudge anyone pushing hard for what they feel it’s important but insults are unwarranted.

On a more positive note, every hour spent not dealing with hosting IAA is an hour spent making the app more awesome and more stable in other ways. I think we can all agree on that.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@flockz said:

@dendy said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

Fair enough, but the same could be said the other way around - it’s not healthy to see NS2 as something that needs to revolve around the rest of the iOS landscape. Why should NS2 revolve around the IAA idea until all IAAs become AU?

I can empathise with your desire for this feature, but some of us simply do not agree. Saying something ‘should’ is too defining. You would like it to, but that doesn’t automatically mean that it should.

It’s really down to the dev as in all additions we’ve asked for. Best thing is make your case for the addition the best you can and I’m sure the dev considers all reasonable requests.

No one is suggesting ns2 revolve around IAA. Just not to act like it doesn’t exist. It’s premature and can’t hurt to add support.

• @flockz

Don’t think that I’m just dismissing your ideas, wants and desires out of hand. I’m all for you stating your case and asking for what you want.

I simply don’t agree with some of your statements like ‘it’s premature and can’t hurt to add support - I think the timing is right and it may have negative consequences as I’ve explained earlier. If the dev does change his mind then that’s fine too :)

• edited December 2018

@number37 said:
    IAA. Bleh. I’d rather put up with recording what I need from IAA apps elsewhere and import it. Or export NS2 stems and mix somewhere else than have that garbage polluting the app. I fully support the notion of not having NS2 as an IAA host.

It would be very nice if NS2 can someday run inside AudioBus and possibly in IAA hosts, but even that I’m not going to obsess over.

You have every right to push for what youd like to see, but the suggestion of arrogance is way off base. If the man who puts the years of sweat into building this app decides isn’t a good use of his time, no one who has invested a mere $29 has any right to judge his motives. Especially when no one forced or tricked them into buying the app and Apple has a refund mechanism in place if it was a mistake. I don’t begrudge anyone pushing hard for what they feel it’s important but insults are unwarranted.

On a more positive note, every hour spent not dealing with hosting IAA is an hour spent making the app more awesome and more stable in other ways. I think we can all agree on that.

I’ll politely disagree. I think for an app to not support one of the current ‘standards’ during that standard’s phasing out period is a needless move with zero benefit. Premature....The only reason I could see for it is if this move would have significant impact on making all IAA devs update their apps. But blip doesn’t have that kind of influence. Nowhere near..... So yeah, distorted/arrogant reasoning from my POV.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    @flockz

Don’t think that I’m just dismissing your ideas, wants and desires out of hand. I’m all for you stating your case and asking for what you want.

I simply don’t agree with some of your statements like ‘it’s premature and can’t hurt to add support - I think the timing is right and it may have negative consequences as I’ve explained earlier. If the dev does change his mind then that’s fine too :)

No need to keep apologising for having different opinions bro :)

I struggle to see how ‘the timing is right’ though when so many killer apps aren’t yet ported to AU??!? How can that be the right time? ‘Timing is right’ for an end of IAA support would clearly be in couple of years from now when there are way more AU out there...

• edited December 2018

I can get by with exports from third party apps, aka Gadget. I get now that IAA is too expensive to maintain in 2019 on top of all the other feature sets. NS2 Midi out will also be very useful.

• edited December 2018

@flockz said:
    No one is suggesting ns2 revolve around IAA. Just not to act like it doesn’t exist. It’s premature and can’t hurt to add support.

Yes, but there is a cost. It doesn’t happen at the flip of a switch. It requires the considerable initial time to do it and do it right, and more importantly there is the ongoing maintenance - which I guarantee you is significant. I wonder if the people waiting for the iPhone version and audio tracks would be happy to put those things off for that?

Please don’t take me wrong. I get how you feel about it. But sometimes it just isn’t possible to do everything. The man who built this knows better than any of us what is achievable. I encourage you to pull for what you want, but give him the benefit of the doubt.

I hope for you that you can manage to enjoy what is there without being too dragged down by what isn’t. -peace

• @flockz said:
    I think for an app to not support one of the current ‘standards’ during that standard’s phasing out period is a needless move with zero benefit. Premature...

Blip may have made the decision to drop IAA years ago. Maybe back then he figured IAA would be completely dead by the time NS2 was ready for release.

• @LucidMusicInc said:
    I can get by with exports from third party apps, aka Gadget. I get now that IAA is too expensive to maintain in 2019 on top of all the other feature sets. NS2 Midi out will also be very useful.

Heh. Good point. NS2 is hardly the first successful app not to support IAA is it? ;)

• edited December 2018

@number37 said:

You have every right to push for what youd like to see, but to suggest arrogance is way off base. If the man who puts the years of sweat into building this app decides isn’t a good use of his time, no one who has invested a mere $30 has any right to judge his motives. Especially when no one forced or tricked them into buying the app and Apple has a refund mechanism in place if it was a mistake. I don’t begrudge anyone pushing hard for what they feel it’s important but insults are unwarranted.

Very wise words !! Can't say it better !! I'm really thankful for every single person on this forum who understand this.

This discussion has been closed.