FR: Extend keyboard to full range of notes

edited December 2018 in Support

The internal keyboard range display is limited to C1 through B6. Notes can be placed in the piano roll from C-2 to G8 as expected. Is there a reason for the keyboard limitation?

Comments

• @number37 said:
    The internal keyboard range display is limited to C1 through B6. Notes can be placed in the piano roll from C-2 to G8 as expected. Is there a reason for the keyboard limitation?

I’ve had C0 on some presets.

• on-screen keyboard starts from C0 and ends at B6 .. "<" and ">" are shifting keyboard about one octave exactly - so in default stage , if you press "<" multiple times you end with C0 note starting at left side

BUT - if you switch to "scroll" mode and you shift keyboard to "some" position (so the first visible note at left side is not C), and you then try use "<" you probably don't reach C0 note because you are shifted obviously, and arrows just move simply always exactly one octave up/down :)

This doesn't answer why it is C0 - B6 and not C-2 to G8, just pointed to @Fruitbat1919 C0 note ;)

• Yeh, you can scroll down to C0 and up as high as B6. But...the question remains. Bug, or intentional? If intentional, why?

• edited December 2018

I'm afraid just almighty Blip Interactive can answer this question :-D

From my experience from beta testing, i believe there will be some very logical deep reason why it is that way :mrgreen:

• Probably reserving the extra notes for a future IAP. ;)

• You can go as low as C#-1 with transpose

• edited December 2018

OK, so I’m changing the title to reflect it as a Bug until if/when it emerges that it’s a Feature. ;)

• Yes, I too ran into this same 'bug' earlier this evening when I tried to 'slide' the keyboard with my finger to view lower notes played, but couldn't. But Dendy is right. There is probably some deep voodoo into why this does this, which mere mortals like ourselves cannot fathom.

• The weight of the lower keys made the app too heavy? =)

• edited December 2018

@tom_tm said:
    Yes, I too ran into this same 'bug' earlier this evening when I tried to 'slide' the keyboard with my finger to view lower notes played, but couldn't. But Dendy is right. There is probably some deep voodoo into why this does this, which mere mortals like ourselves cannot fathom.

No voodoo.. simple logic. '<' '>' arrows are shifting always exactly about 1 octave, so during playing you can exactly predict which keys appears at particular place ... if whole keyboard is shifted a bit to left or to right by "scroll mode", to got back to C0, arrows would need to break "exact 1 octave shift" pattern and make last left shift about less than one octave ;-)

it is actually GOOD that it works the way like now

Btw. more i think about it, more i think that probably bottom limit "C0" have something to do with transposing.. i do not fully understand it, but isn't something that when you play C0, and your oscillator is actually set to -24 semitones, it is like playing frequency which is in MIDI standard reserved to C-2 ? Which is MIDI note 0. Lowest possible note in MIDI with frequency around 16hz.
    If you transpose oscillator to -36, it actually from C0 to C1 plays same tone, only from C1 it starts do proper note-based scaling job .. (or at least to my ears it works this way. i may be wrong)

If this is true (or at least it is going the right direction), then starting with C0 is most probably just to not confuse users, it is lot less probable that somebody would try to play sound with scillators tuned down up to 36 semitones on lower note than C0. It makes completely not sesne to play C-2 with oscillator set for example to C-2, which would probably lead to negative frequency :lol:

As i said.. maybe all those speculations are going wrong direction. Maybe there is completely different lot more obvious and logical reason :)

• I remember having a conversation with Matt about a difference between the sequencer and the keyboard ranges but I can't remember whether it was about NS1 or 2 so I've been quiet. The thing was that the extremes of the keyboard range were achieved by transposing the OSCs and the sequencer only showed the untransposed values. So if you've already transposed your OSCs, it might be they just won't go that low anymore.

But I'm still not sure, so take this with a grain of salt.

• edited December 2018

Even if all that tortured logic made any sense, it would do nothing to explain the inconsistency with the piano roll, which has the full range of notes. Nor does it explain the inconsistency with every other app keyboard I can think of except the cheesy ones limited to just a few octaves.

Occam’s razor anyone? ;)

• edited December 2018

@number37: Yes, you're true.

Just adding some standards, for better understanding:

Here MIDI standard definition for note names / numbering. According MIDI standard note 0 is C-2

Also based on this table, expected root frequency for MIDI note C-2 (0) is 8.18 Hz (of course in standard mid C 440hz tuning, not speaking about that new age pseudoscience bullshit around 423 hz tunning :trollface: )

http://www.inspiredacoustics.com/en/MIDI_note_numbers_and_center_frequencies

• Naming conventions aside, keep in mind we’re really talking about a limitation in the range of note numbers that can be played. Also that the keyboard isn’t only for obsidian, but for AU instruments and midi out to other apps and hardware as well.

Ruismaker Noir is an example of an app that is seriously hampered by this.

• edited December 2018

OK, I'll add increasing the UI keyboard octave range to the wishlist, thanks.