Obsidian User Patches Megathread

Comments

• @dendy said:

Actually loop start is normally assigned to a slow moving LFO rather than a macro. But the same would work.

yeah doesn't matter what is mod source, basic rule is to assign both loop start and sample start to same mod source and set initially loop to beginning of sample - just tried it and it works like charm :)

i need discuss with matt if it is possible somehow reduce those click when sample start is modulated .. i understand why is it problem but lets face truth, Matt is genius of DSP coding, maybe he will do some magic :D

Cool.

Bear in mind that if you set the sample start permenantly to 100 (100% of the sample) as per my method above, then you’re no longer dynamically modulating sample start at all. You just set it and forget it. You’re only then modulating the ‘loop start’ point from then on. So does this not cut down on the clicks?

• Bear in mind that if you set the sample start permenantly to 100 (100% of the sample) as per my method above, then you’re no longer dynamically modulating sample start at all. You just set it and forget it

Hm. That's true. And you save one modulation target slot. So your method is actually better :)

You’re only then modulating the ‘loop start’ point from then on. So does this not cut down on the clicks?

Don't think so, clicks are caused by moving loop start itself. In my opinion there is not much to do with that, we are simply pushing limits of for what is this modulation mentioned :)))

• Thanks @MattFletcher2000! Awesome tutorial. :)

• edited February 2019

You may aware of a trend that goes like creating a pun by combining a month’s name with a task you are willing to focus on that month like say “Jamuary” if you are a musician and you swear you will bleed Jaming all January, “Inktober” if you are an artist and will draw only with a pen all the October or “Januhairy” if... actually,... don’t search that if you don’t know what’s it because some not so cute pictures may surface.

Following that trend I propose to devote February on creating FM patches so, I, today, declare this month as a...
    FMbrewary..
    Heh! HEH!
    Got it?... no?....

Anyway here they are.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/awdpfmqud82yjaw/FMbrewary pack.zip?dl=0

Well, obviously I made this during January but feel free to start today if you wish.

• @Zupi said:
    You may aware of a trend that goes like creating a pun by combining a month’s name with a task you are willing to focus on that month like say “Jamuary” if you are a musician and you swear you will bleed Jaming all January, “Inktober” if you are an artist and will draw only with a pen all the October or “Januhairy” if... actually,... don’t search that if you don’t know what’s it because some not so cute pictures may surface.

Following that trend I propose to devote February on creating FM patches so, I, today, declare this month as a...
    FMbrewary..
    Heh! HEH!
    Got it?... no?....

Anyway here they are.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/awdpfmqud82yjaw/FMbrewary pack.zip?dl=0

Well, obviously I made this during January but feel free to start today if you wish.

These are IAP quality! B)

• edited February 2019

:open_mouth: woow !!!! They are just awesome !!! Fantastic job !

You should record some demo examples and tease them also on AudioBus forums, those are for me actually one of best pure synth patches i heard from Obsidian.

Btw that thing you did with noise oscillator in FMUniverse patch blowed my mind... :open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth:

• Thank you all :) It was just random experiments. After all you can’t go wrong with FM.
    Ok, you can but strap a filter and a few FX and the outcome can be interesting.
    That FM Universe was no exception. Started by just fiddling with the noise parameters and then I knew it can become close to Korg’s own M1 Universe.

But it never did. =)

• edited February 2019

@Zupi
    It was just random experiments.

you did good job.. lot of factory patches on which i’m proud started like happy accident ;) Thats why is Obsidian for me most addictive synth for sound design :)

• edited February 2019

***** Excellence Award *****

• Wow! Some fantastic patches there Zupi! And you’ve really exposed just how brilliantly coded Matt's FM model is. These easily sound as good as anything that has ever come out of my old DX-27. The FM basses are some of the best I’ve heard yet. As for that Universe patch? Bloody hell. So simple, yet so effective.

• @tom_tm said:
    These easily sound as good as anything that has ever come out of my old DX-27.

I thought this was a compliment until I went to YouTube and listen to some DX 27 examples. Haha.
    Truth is if it weren’t for Obsidians extra features, they would sound that bland if not worse. ;)

• @Zupi said:

@tom_tm said:
    These easily sound as good as anything that has ever come out of my old DX-27.

I thought this was a compliment until I went to YouTube and listen to some DX 27 examples. Haha.
    Truth is if it weren’t for Obsidians extra features, they would sound that bland if not worse. ;)

Regardless, the sounds you made are very good and show the versatility of Obsidian as well as your own skills. B)

• 🙏🏼😎

• Completely agree with what the others said @Zupi, these are excellent!

• It was a compliment. Your patches are loads better. Have you ever heard what the DX-11 is capable of? If anyone can emulate that, then I'll be super impressed! Here's the master of the DX-11, Mike Paradinas:

• A few patches made with mangled samples form Sopranotron. Would love to see other people take these further:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l3l6nyhq8t4hgu6/Soprano patches.zip?dl=0

• @richardyot thanks for sharing, good work, saving to my library :)

• @richardyot said:
    A few patches made with mangled samples form Sopranotron. Would love to see other people take these further:

These are cool. Thanks! I suggest that anyone who posts patches put their initials or some unique identifier at the beginning of each patch name. Otherwise you have to look through all existing patches to find the new ones after an import. I use NT_ at the beginning of my patch names. Also I noticed a bug I think. I can’t sort patches by date in Manage Audio Files/Instruments. Hey @dendy can you confirm?

• @anickt said:

@richardyot said:
    A few patches made with mangled samples form Sopranotron. Would love to see other people take these further:

I suggest that anyone who posts patches put their initials or some unique identifier at the beginning of each patch name.

Good idea, I'll do that and update, hopefully over the weekend.

• edited February 2019

@anickt said:
    . Also I noticed a bug I think. I can’t sort patches by date in Manage Audio Files/Instruments. Hey @dendy can you confirm?

This is because sorting is applied only to files not to directories, and patches are actually directories .. this is complicated, sometimes you want excluse directories from sorting like on windows, sometimes you want include them like on mac... i have no idea what would be optimal solution, both have advantages and disdvantages :(

propably open new festure request if you have any idea how to improve it :-)

• edited February 2019

@dendy said:

@anickt said:
    . Also I noticed a bug I think. I can’t sort patches by date in Manage Audio Files/Instruments. Hey @dendy can you confirm?

This is because sorting is applied only to files not to directories, and patches are actually directories .. this is complicated, sometimes you want excluse directories from sorting like on windows, sometimes you want include them like on mac... i have no idea what would be optimal solution have advantages and disdvantages :(

propably open new festure request if you have any idea how to improve it :-)

I’ll get back to you on this -thanks!

• I've updated these patches so that they now all have the "Soprano" prefix, to make them easier to find in the list. Also added one more patch as well:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6tng71gshpi2xa0/Soprano patches.zip?dl=0

• @richardyot said:
    I've updated these patches so that they now all have the "Soprano" prefix, to make them easier to find in the list. Also added one more patch as well:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6tng71gshpi2xa0/Soprano patches.zip?dl=0

B)

• That’s lovely.

Thank you

• @7side great job, thanks for sharing !

@richardyot used already your soprano patches in both tracks on which i'm currently working, great stuff, thanks again !

• @dendy said:
    @7side great job, thanks for sharing !

@richardyot used already your soprano patches in both tracks on which i'm currently working, great stuff, thanks again !

Cool - glad you like them :)

• I created waveforms in the Caustic 8-Bit synth and then mangled them in Obsidian. It’s not pretty...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/viuykifx5824927/NT_8BIT01 + 18 more.zip?dl=0

• @anickt yeah definitely not pretty... it's nasty - in most beautifull low bitrate way :-) :+1:

remembered during browsimg those patches this track :-)

This discussion has been closed.