Select slate pads via MIDI

Just occured to me that it’d be nice if the top of the slate interface gave an option to select pads for editing via midi. As someone who primarily uses an external controller, that would be a real boon to workflow.

Comments

• @legsmechanical said:
    Just occured to me that it’d be nice if the top of the slate interface gave an option to select pads for editing via midi. As someone who primarily uses an external controller, that would be a real boon to workflow.

You mean like a step sequencer with pads/notes as the steps?

• @Stiksi said:

@legsmechanical said:

You mean like a step sequencer with pads/notes as the steps?

No, nothing so complicated.

Right now, when you tap a pad on the screen, you are presented with the parameters for that pad in the left and can edit them.

But if, on an external controller, I tap the midi note that corresponds to a given pad the parameters don’t change — they stay on the last pad you touched on the screen.

It’d be cool if incoming midi notes could select pads for editing just like touching a pad on the screen does. Obviously, you’d need an option to turn this off for when you want to tweak the parameters of a specific pad and the sequencer is running.

• Ah, I see what you mean. That would be useful.

• Definitely, i like this proposal !

I think it can be automatically disabled during playback (where it really doesn't make sense), and for enabling/disabling when playback is stopped can be switch in application UI settings (it is something which you want to use or yo don't want to use it in general, so don't think it needs to be activated / deactivated per Slate instance).

• edited May 2019

I like this idea as well.

I use external controllers too.
    Having an option to focus on the current midi channel as well for instances of obsidian or Auv3's so that if you switch channels on your controller, it jumps to that instrument's interface. And of course, the option to enable/disable this would be necessary.

Currently NS2 is the best onscreen workstation. I'd love to see it become more of a tool for live performance as well. I do hope that eventually we'll see midi control options such as Program Change for Slate and Obsidian, and Midi Sync IN (right now it only syncs out, or via Link.. so not great for external connectivity)

• @palm said:
    I like this idea as well.

I use external controllers too.
    Having an option to focus on the current midi channel as well for instances of obsidian or Auv3's so that if you switch channels on your controller, it jumps to that instrument's interface. And of course, the option to enable/disable this would be necessary.

Currently NS2 is the best onscreen workstation. I'd love to see it become more of a tool for live performance as well. I do hope that eventually we'll see midi control options such as Program Change for Slate and Obsidian, and Midi Sync IN (right now it only syncs out, or via Link.. so not great for external connectivity)

+1 Channel focus would be really cool too.