Solo a sound in Slate pattern editor?

If I’m building a drum pattern in the Slate pattern editor I often find myself wishing I could solo the sound I am working on so I can focus on what it’s doing and then un-solo so I can hear it in context.

Comments

• Caveman methods...

If you just want to quickly listen, select the row you want to solo, select->inverse, delete 'em, listen, undo.

If you want to edit the solo'd lane, select the row you want to solo, select->inverse, transpose up by three octaves by tapping the upper right handle, edit away, select the "solo'd" row, select->inverse, transpose down by three octaves.

Do think this would be a cool feature. Maybe in the form of a mode selector for the left side notes bar that would switch between 'trigger', 'solo', 'mute', 'select row'... 2020!

• Yes, this would be a nice feature. Would save time from the work-around methods.

Work-Around Method #2
    Using multiple track lanes, or multiple tracks, copy/paste your part to the other track lanes and then delete all but the row you want to ‘solo’. Time-consuming, but when you are mixing/mastering then this could be time well spent.

• Have used the octave shift method. Can be clunky.

• So is there a way to add say, reverb only on a snare in a drum kit? And not the other drums?

• I’m not at my iPad to double check, but I don’t think per pad FX are an option.
    My work-around would be to just copy the drums to another track, and erase all but the snare, for example. Since there are ‘unlimited’ tracks, it really isn’t hard to have a separate track for each part of a drum kit, if you want that much control. I usually don’t want that much control - it’s dangerous.

• Cool thanks for the info!

@SlapHappy said:
    I’m not at my iPad to double check, but I don’t think per pad FX are an option.
    My work-around would be to just copy the drums to another track, and erase all but the snare, for example. Since there are ‘unlimited’ tracks, it really isn’t hard to have a separate track for each part of a drum kit, if you want that much control. I usually don’t want that much control - it’s dangerous.

• edited June 2019

@Tones4Christ said:
    So is there a way to add say, reverb only on a snare in a drum kit? And not the other drums?

Yes there is. I'll get back to you or read this https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/nanostudio2/user-manual/Slate.html#output

I agree with @SlapHappy that it’s just as easy to just add another drum track and you then have a lot more options.

• edited June 2019

you don't have per-pad delay/reverb in Slate - just perr pad filter and waveshaper.

There is different concept how to add reveb just to some pda

You have fx buses inside slate and you can choose for every pad if it goes into slate main out or first into one of those 4 fx busses. In pad tab.

Every bus can be then send to internal slate's reveb (and/or delay) independently.

• @Tones4Christ said:
    So is there a way to add say, reverb only on a snare in a drum kit? And not the other drums?

For some reason I feel compelled to summarize things others have already said. Hope I don't confuse you more!

You basically have two options:

Option 1: Using mixer level effects (which might be the internal reverb or perhaps an AUv3)

In Slate's top right hamburger menu, copy the pad you care about. Create a new Slate track, go to the new Slate's hamburger menu and paste the pad. From there, once you've copied/edited the song's MIDI track to point at it, go nuts with effects in the mixer.

For what it's worth, you can also copy the entire slate kit with the same steps and simply adjust the mutes in each instance. Resource wise, Nanostudio will forgive you.

Option 2: Use Slate's internal bussing and effects

Every instance of Slate has four internal busses (well, five, actually). Any pad can be assigned to any one of the four busses or no bus at all (hence, five busses ;) ). Any bus can be sent to Slate's internal reverb and/or delay effects. So, if you want to add reverb to just one pad, assign that pad to its own Slate bus[1], select that bus in the "FX Bus" tab (left side), enable and tap "SEND" [2] and then adjust the reverb knob to send it through the internal reverb[3] to taste.

[1] Set a pad's FX Bus on the Pad->AMP page: https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/nanostudio2/user-manual/Slate.html#overview

[2] Slate FX bus: https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/nanostudio2/user-manual/Slate.html#fx-bus

[3] Adjust the reverb/delay: https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/nanostudio2/user-manual/Slate.html#output-send-fx

Slate (and bus) overview is prolly worth a quick read to make sense of some of my mumbo jumbo: https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/nanostudio2/user-manual/Slate.html#overview

• I just use multiple tracks for the same (or a different) kit. I may have a track of a 909 kick processed one way, a second track of the same 909 kit but with only a snare pattern processed a different way and a a track of a 707 kit with just hats processed its own way. I use this method instead of busses for more options. The flexibility of NS2!

• I use copies of the same kit on different tracks as well, and mute all the pads that I don’t want processed on that track.

But I also have a parent track that also has a copy of the kit with ALL pads muted. That track has a midi send going to each of the child slate tracks. That way I can play the whole kit, sequence it on a single midi track, but process individual sounds with the full array of track effects. It’s really quick to set up too (though now I just have a default template that has this ready to go for me).

• @legsmechanical said:
    I use copies of the same kit on different tracks as well, and mute all the pads that I don’t want processed on that track.

But I also have a parent track that also has a copy of the kit with ALL pads muted. That track has a midi send going to each of the child slate tracks. That way I can play the whole kit, sequence it on a single midi track, but process individual sounds with the full array of track effects. It’s really quick to set up too (though now I just have a default template that has this ready to go for me).

B)

• Awesome detailed responses guys many thanks and glad this can be done. I’m still saving to get this amazing app; hopefully soon I’ll be able to get my hands on this; I know Father’s Day is around the corner here so hopefully the kids will remember dad loves iTunes cash😂☝️🙏🤩❤️

• Damn, blip, just give this guy a code already! 🙃

• Thanks brother! But I really do want to support this awesome dev!

But wouldn’t mind a short Father’s Day Special.....❤️☝️👍🏼😇👴👨‍⚕️😮

@legsmechanical said:
    Damn, blip, just give this guy a code already! 🙃

• Guys just wanted to say that an awesome fellow forum member (God knows) was so kind to bless me with a special Father’s Day gift!☝️🙏☝️

Gifted me NS2 and enough to get 2 IAPs and more! I’m so overwhelmed with gratitude and I know the Lord my God will richly bless him and repay him in His time for showing me his kindness and blessings ❤️🤗😇🌠

I’m so amazed and grateful at the brotherhood that exists here and over at the AB3 forums! ❤️❤️❤️❤️

I hope I can really learn this amazing app and be available to help others as well. 🤓

Thank you all in advance for putting up with any of my dud questions.😇😮😅😌

This was truly an unforgettable and unexpected blessing and one of the best Father’s Day ever!☝️❤️❤️❤️🎹👴

• @Tones4Christ said:
    Guys just wanted to say that an awesome fellow forum member (God knows) was so kind to bless me with a special Father’s Day gift!☝️🙏☝️

Gifted me NS2 and enough to get 2 IAPs and more! I’m so overwhelmed with gratitude and I know the Lord my God will richly bless him and repay him in His time for showing me his kindness and blessings ❤️🤗😇🌠

I’m so amazed and grateful at the brotherhood that exists here and over at the AB3 forums! ❤️❤️❤️❤️

I hope I can really learn this amazing app and be available to help others as well. 🤓

Thank you all in advance for putting up with any of my dud questions.😇😮😅😌

This was truly an unforgettable and unexpected blessing and one of the best Father’s Day ever!☝️❤️❤️❤️🎹👴

Oh wow, this is beautiful! And congrats 😀

• Wow. Beautiful indeed!