How to properly load 808 samples into Obsidian?

Hello everyone,

I’m new to nanostudio 2 and I absolutely love it. I want to start making hip-hop/trap beats and was wondering what the proper way to load my own 808 samples into Obsidian was? I already understand the actual process of loading a single 808 sample into its proper root note. Where I get lost is afterwards. I’m not sure what I should be doing with the FILTER/ENV/OSC panels themselves in order to keep the integrity of the sample. I’m also not sure whether I should set polyphony to 1-glide or 1-mono. Ideally, I would like to use my 808 samples as a bass/sub in order to get a more authentic sound, but don’t quite understand how to properly use Obsidian’s edit page without messing with the “sound” of the sample itself. Furthermore, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what I should be mapping on the perform page macros.

So what do you guys think is the best way to load 808 samples in Obsidian for hip-hop/trap? Also, would I use the same settings for my hi-hats as well? I’m new to hip-hop/trap production so any tips would greatly be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• i think @iPadBeatMaking had some youtube videos about trap making in NS2, probably he is most capable to answer your question regarding workflows needed for this particular music style ..

• @dendy said:
    i think @iPadBeatMaking had some youtube videos about trap making in NS2, probably he is most capable to answer your question regarding workflows needed for this particular music style ..

I’ll look into the videos. Thanks for the advice.

• edited June 2019

Hey @dendy thanks for the mention! I just responded to @itsinthemusiq on YouTube but wanted to post here also in case anyone else has the same question or its seen here instead of there first:

“Thanks for reaching out and I’ll try my best to help you on your NS2 trap mission. I have all my 808’s tuned and named based on their note tune so that way they automatically stretch across the keys with correct(ish) pitch. Same with hi hats even tho I don’t put as much care into their notes. I like to set it to glide and use the obsidian assignment parameters to adjust glide lengths etc as I’m playing in obsidian. A good reference point for you would be my trap kit when i release it as I created (what i call) an ‘808 engine’ in obsidian that assigns the most relevant parameters for trap music (imo). And speaking of the Sound Kits, they are pretty much done i just haven’t had the time to create the videos that address questions and how to use it an examples etc that I know will be crucial for most customers and producers because NS2 is new for many as is iPad beat making so it’s a lot of ground to cover. However, I understand time is of the essence and the kits themselves are really nice, just the marketing aspect needs to be handled. If you’re interested though, I’ll sell you the beta of it (private link) and when the main version is released you can update to it for free. Here’s some info on the kit so far: ‘over 300 crisp, high quality sounds in slate, assigned intelligently with consistency so things are where you expect them to be. Over 60 808’s in obsidian with an incredible amount of parameter control so that you can make them you’re own. And around 2 dozen ‘bonus’ instruments such as pianos, pads and leads.’ I’m not trying to sell you, i just can’t really walk through all the steps I’ve taken because honestly, I’m sure I’m forgetting something. I’ve spent so much time with the little details in NS2, and the example of the kit itself probably does more to answer some questions you have then me trying to in text. Thanks again for reaching out! “

-end of YouTube comment

@itsinthemusiq I’m excited to have another trap producer in the community so I look forward to connecting either now or in the future, welcome to the NS2 Community!

• Welcome @itsinthemusiq!

Where I get lost is afterwards. I’m not sure what I should be doing with the FILTER/ENV/OSC panels themselves in order to keep the integrity of the sample.

A super simple set up for an 808 kick/bass:
    Filter: just turn the panel off to start with. You can decide later if/how you want to filter out certain frequencies.
    ENV: for the AMP envelope, it's up to you. The decay and release will affect how long your sample rings out. So, short decay and no release will be like a blip/thump.
    OSC: keep the other oscillators off.

I’m also not sure whether I should set polyphony to 1-glide or 1-mono.

Traditional 808 would be 1-mono but experiment with it for sure.

For macros, definitely Decay and Release. Once you start to mess with the filter, you might put cutoff and resonance there as well as, and especially, the filter 'drive' amount to add/remove crunch.