Adding Midi Files to the Library and Preview Ability:

Hi friends!

I figured out I could copy all my midi file folders from the Cubasis app through the files app!

Just copy and paste each folder into the NS2 folder library into the midi files and voila! All Cubasis midi files for drums are now easily available for NS2.

The only edit needed is to Transpose all the notes one octave a d they work great with NS2 drum kits!

I wish though there was a way to preview the midi patterns to better k ow if it fits the song.

Would this be extremely hard to code?

Anyways, thanks guys and hope this helps someone.👍🏼🎹🎧

Comments

• edited June 2019

This sounds like something which can starts to be really complex thing to implement .. This use case (midi with just drums) is just subset of all possible various mini files you can import.

First problem is, how o define what sound generator should be used for previewing ... in some cases Slate (like this your case), in other cases Obsidian will fits better (if there is melody) .. then you need choose also which Drumkit (in case of Slate) or which patch (on case of Obsidian) use for previewing ..

Things can get lot more complicated in case that MIDI contains multiple MIDI channels and stuff like tempo changes, etc .. Do i want use same generator for all tracks ? Or Slate for some and Obsidian for other ? Or, in your case there will be needed also posibility to set "transpose" during previewing .. In case there is more track - transpose just some of them ? Or all ?? Etc..

You got the point ;-)

Quite big complexity arises from this :)

• Yeah makes sense. I wondered possibly to assign a default slate kit and auto transpose perhaps? I really love how NS2 asks you if you’d like to separate the midi tracks or just combine them to one lane! Maybe it could be set to combine to one single lane. I think it would be best if this would be available for drum patterns only to minimize the headache of coding but then again I know nothing about coding 🤓🤪.

• edited June 2019

Since that is likely to be difficult to implement, what about using a MIDI Player app. I’ve bnt tried it, but the MIDI Voyager app looks promising. Yes, this would require an extra step, but to audition MIDI files it might end up being a time saver in the end.

• Yeah I thought about that; just couldn’t think of animosity player that would play them that allows transposing the notes.

• MIDI preview would be great. It could just use a piano sound or something. Drums would be so tricky for Matt and the end user (need to find the right transpose amount and then hope your pad setup matches the MIDI file...) as to not be worth the effort at all imo. You can definitely get the 'feel' of a drum pattern by triggering a piano sample.

• Yeah that would be great! I think something to get the feel of the groove would help.

@Will said:
    MIDI preview would be great. It could just use a piano sound or something. Drums would be so tricky for Matt and the end user (need to find the right transpose amount and then hope your pad setup matches the MIDI file...) as to not be worth the effort at all imo. You can definitely get the 'feel' of a drum pattern by triggering a piano sample.