FIRST, at least in the NS1 section.

:smirk: I do miss NS1, but NS2 is just incredible.

Comments

• It’s like evolution isn’t it! Just feel like home but with all new bells and whistles:) love it to bits

• I agree! I'll be checking this category from time to time as I will still be using NS1 to get all of my old projects 'converted' to NS2. And stuff and junk.

• @SlapHappy said:
    I agree! I'll be checking this category from time to time as I will still be using NS1 to get all of my old projects 'converted' to NS2. And stuff and junk.

Sounds like a good plan mate. :) I myself will be 'converting' my Gadget projects to NS2 myself, many of which started life as NS1 projects prior to iOS 11 believe it or not. :lol:

• Good. We'll have stuff to chat about. I have always wanted to get more use out of Gadget, and now with NS2 I feel that I will be able to. I love the synths in Gadget but hate the sequencer. Do you know if Gadget is on IAA? I don't think that it is... Were you strictly working inside the walls of Gadget or getting stuff out of Gadget to use in other DAWs?

• @SlapHappy said:
    Good. We'll have stuff to chat about. I have always wanted to get more use out of Gadget, and now with NS2 I feel that I will be able to. I love the synths in Gadget but hate the sequencer. Do you know if Gadget is on IAA? I don't think that it is... Were you strictly working inside the walls of Gadget or getting stuff out of Gadget to use in other DAWs?

Me, I worked mostly inside the walls of Gadget, would bounce the stems, and mix down in either Auria or AUM. Gadget is on IAA. I know this because I would often route it to AUM so I could make the signal mono when premixing "in the box" (i.e. adjusting levels and eqing) prior to stem bouncing.

Gadget's sequencer certainly takes some time to wrap one's head around, but the fact you can route MIDI into it as well as automate parameters via CC means you can use an external MIDI sequencer. :)

• This made me laugh.

¡NSFIRST!

• @Will said:
    This made me laugh.

¡NSFIRST!

LOLOL! That didn't even dawn on me believe it or not, or I would've titled the thread that. :lol:

• edited December 2018

i still have ns1 on ipad air 2 ios 11/12. there is a project and a custom patch. can't start ns1 so can't can't access via nanosync. it will not show up in itunes apps file sharing docs either. (32bit app that current pc itunes geared to 64 bit ios ignores?)
    is there a way around this?
    i wonder if its possible to make ns1 work in some kind of file recovery mode in ios11++? nothing else but being able to transfer via nsp or whatever file format for synth patch. in the meantime i got an older ipad just for ns1 so i still use it.
    i did want to ask in previous forum but my request didnt get approved in time.

• I knew someone would ask. Here’s a post from the old forum. I never tried this since I kept my iPad Air1 on iOS 10, but it worked for the original poster. please report back and let us know if it works. And if Silica Gel return, thank him for figuring it out.

NS1 -extract old files fromiOS 11

Follow-up to previous comment about extracting NS data from iPhone:
    It's possible using the free version of a tool called iBackup Viewer. After creating a backup with iTunes, run iBackup Viewer. Click the...button that sort of looks like a tree or file browser?...for Raw Files. On the left, choose "AppDomain-co.uk.blipinteractive.NanoStudio", then highlight everything on the right (tip: click first one, scroll to the bottom, shift+click last one) and hit Export, Selected. That'll suck out all the files there onto a folder on your computer.
    Now....as far as how to get those back into Nano Studio, say, on another device...well, I haven't gotten to that part yet! :-) But I'll post another update once I have that figured out.
    Edit: I don't know if this is the most direct route, but it works:
    1) Use iBackup Viewer to extract NS files from a recent iPhone backup as described above.
    2) Install NanoStudio on your computer
    3) Locate the NanoStudio data area on your computer (for Windows, it's under ProgramData on your system drive). You'll notice the directory structure is exactly the same as the data exported from the iPhone backup
    4) Simply copy everything under "(your extracted data)/Documents/User" into the same place in the NanoStudio data area found in step 3.
    5) Launch NanoStudio on your computer and shazam, all your projects at your fingertips!
    6) Use the program to export NSP (the Manage screen), which you can then use with NanoSync to transfer to NS on a different device.
    There may be reason to copy over other parts of the data export; I haven't explored it fully, yet. I'll post a new thread about this later.

• User Silica Gel
  • Someone on the NS1 forum did find a way to extract NS1's data from an iOS 11 device, but I don't have access to that forum currently! I'll have a word with my host as I think it's still accessible - if so, I'll try and dig out the relevant info and put it up - give me a day or so.

• ....Psst! Hey Matt! Look at the post above yours. Shh.... I won’t say anything. I know you haven’t have enough sleep for years.

• Just downloaded NS2 and I’m very excited. I still have the original NanoStudio on my iPod 4th gen device. I’ll have to wait until I get a nights sleep before I open up NS2 since it’s 1am for me right now! Looking forward to learning , sharing and most importantly reading and listening. :)

• @SlapHappy happy to report it worked thanks!
    @Blip Interactive thanks for looking into it! is the answer from slaphappy the one referred to?

• edited December 2018

on the old forum resources page i came across links to a few eden banks, something like korg triton, kawai, kurzweil, garden, etc., but they were dead links. does anyone have them or a working link please?

• is the answer from slaphappy the one referred to?

Yes, that's the one.

• Glad to see NS2 finally out!

However, I am concerned about my projects on NS1. Is there a way I can use Nanosync to copy everything over from my iPad to desktop version?

And more importantly, will the desktop version still be supported? I haven't seen a download link for the desktop version for NS1, does this mean its unsupported?

I'm kind of relying on the desktop version to archive and protect my projects

I haven't backed up my iPad as I've kept it running on an old iOS just so I can use NS1. Can I follow the same protocol suggested by @SlapHappy by using Nanosync?

Nanosync still works for me.

Many thanks in advance!

• @thw0057 Yes. Nanosync will still work for you. The method quoted above is for people who accidentally upgraded to iOS 11 or later. I kept my iPad Air on iOS 10 just so I could continue to use NS1 easily while I begin transferring projects into NS2 (via stems, MIDI, samples, etc.)

I’m pretty sure the desktop version of NS1 is unsupported at this point. I’d recommend making back up copies of it to keep safe incase you have a hard drive failure. What I am doing is thinking of PC/iOS 10 versions of NS1 as endangered species. No programs/apps live forever in the digital universe. I’m going to convert the old NS1 project over to NS2 while adding some elements like Obsidian/Slate sounds to upgrade the projects beyond their current state as ‘first draft’ projects. I’m hoping to get a really good understanding of NS2 through this process.

• @SlapHappy Thanks for the response - that's really good news!

Looks like Nanosync/NS1 desktop .dmg install files stocks are up. I'm a little worried that I don't have it - I'll check once I'm home. If I find it I'll upload and share the link ;)

So you're saying that you can update your old NS1 project files to a NS2 project?!! I'm not seeing the Eden or TRG-16 in NS2 so how will that work?

• Well for starters, Slate will load TRG kits. Use a WebDAV program to move them to the Slate Kits folder. That’s the good news. Bad news is that NS1 .nsp files will not be recognized in NS2. So ‘reconstruting projects’ (we can’t just load NS1 projects) means extracting what you need from your .nsp files, like stems, MIDI, samples, etc. depending upon how much flexibility you want in the new NS2 project.

One can create new Obsidian patches to emulate Eden patches. Some will be easy enough to replicate by comparing settings. In other cases you may want to make a whole bunch of samples of Eden presets and create a sample-based patch in Obsidian. Best reults might be a combination patch that is one OSC as samples of Eden patch and the other 2 OSC as synthesis that is as close to Eden as possible. I’m planning to try some of the later. It would be a great way to get skilled with Obsidian.

• I agree that that would be a great way to find your way around Obsidian however from a reviving of old projects POV that's a lot of work! I've easily made over 100 tracks so I'm not sure if I'd be up for that process for each and every one.

I think its a good time to start a fresh. I'm really creative in NS compared to other desktop DAWs. I'll just archive NS1 projects on the desktop.