More Basic Questions

Alright, a question, or 2 really. I’ve finally managed to get NanoStudio 2. It’s a good day.

1. There was an Eden voice that I used a great deal on NanoStudio (1). It was called Distorted View, and I love it. Don’t see it here, and wonder if anyone has a suggestion on a good way to use it again. Recreate it? Sample it? Somehow import it?

2. And, vocals. I used to record vocals on the previous incarnation by recording samples to drum pads. I don’t know how to approach it here, and I’m sure I’ll figure it out over some period of time. But is there a thread where people discuss their strategies for recording vocals?

Thanks.

Comments

• edited June 2019

Coincidentally I've just uploaded a sample player I've created using Obsidian. I didn't like the way an envelope seemed to be applied to long samples in Slate, and anyway I wanted the ability to do all the magic modulation that Obsidian offers. There's a link here: https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/community/index.php?p=/discussion/720/why-are-samples-are-louder-in-slate-compared-to-obsidian

Being Obsidian your interface will be a keyboard, and you do need to record a "note" the whole length of your sample for the whole sample to play (it's not a trigger). However it may help. Check out the manual here https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/nanostudio2/user-manual/Obsidian.html#the-sample-oscillator if you're unfamiliar with using samples in Obsidian. It won't take long to get used to it.

And I accept your challenge about setting up an Obsidian patch like Distorted View.... : Here's my attempt
    I built this by comparing the config in NS1 on a PC. I did make some executive decisions on the waveform, and I may have made some errors, but it gets close to the feel of the original. And what's more there's so much more you can do to tweak it in Obsidian!

Let me know if either of these work for you :smiley: and then post your music

• Yes! Distorted View is a Alpha Juno "Hoover" level classic. @dendy, can you bring it back to life?

• edited June 2019

Not perfect, but at least approximate... 100% match not possible because of some specific details in Eden architecture which are not present in Obsidian ;)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8w4pdtv5acfmflk/Distorted View.zip?dl=0

• Thanks, a lot, Trigger! Look forward to getting back to a PC in 2 days, so I can download this and work with it. Much appreciated. And thanks, @dendy. Even seeing an approximation will give a hands-on model that will help others with doing the same thing.

• edited June 2019

@Trigger_the_Monkey said:
    Coincidentally I've just uploaded a sample player I've created using Obsidian. I didn't like the way an envelope seemed to be applied to long samples in Slate, and anyway I wanted the ability to do all the magic modulation that Obsidian offers.

As a side note, true infinite release time was added to Slate in the latest update of NS2. So if you turn the release or ”D2” knob on a pad all the way up, it will play the sample to the end at full volume. 🙂