Parts Editor

The piano on the left side in the parts editor is it possible to make look like a traditional keyboard layout.

Comments

• no, that layot is fixed.. actually it would be hardly possible becuase you need every semitone key (white and black) match corresponding note row.. that's why black notes are actually like "full length", just with greyed out their second half..

• edited August 2019

I don’t think it’s Impossible because GarageBand they have one in their parts editor, but no big deal. The reason why I ask is because I’m not much of a keyboard player so when I create a melody or a chord progression I normally do it in the parts editor. In your profile picture what are you holding in your hand is that some liquor LOL.

• yup Absinth 70% ... got it as wedding present from one friend.. that was 13 years ago, never opened it :)))

• My secret hope: Matt went with this layout to make it easier to support scale based piano rolls in the future. It looks similar to the way Korg Gadget looks (which, presumably, is because Gadget supports custom scales in the piano roll).

• edited August 2019

My secret hope: Matt went with this layout to make it easier to support scale based piano rolls in the future.

One of my top wishes for NS. Together with ability see greyed out "ghost" notes from other clip in piano roll ...

• @rayg1952 said:
    I don’t think it’s Impossible because GarageBand they have one in their parts editor, but no big deal. The reason why I ask is because I’m not much of a keyboard player so when I create a melody or a chord progression I normally do it in the parts editor. In your profile picture what are you holding in your hand is that some liquor LOL.

So what you want is a custom piano roll to match a custom scale, right? If you select a C Major scale, then you want to have a piano roll that does not have any black keys. Such a thing would need to have a toggle somewhere, because many musicians will want to be able to go outside the scale for expressive effect. NS2 won’t know what the artists want... until the new A.I. IAP becomes available. Then the micro-chip in Beats headphones will let NS2 create music for you based on your brainwaves. Oops! I wasn’t supposed to spill the beans yet on the A.I. project. Sorry!
    (Sounds like I’ve been drinking from dendy’s bottle.)

• Such a thing would need to have a toggle somewhere, because many musicians will want to be able to go outside the scale for expressive effect.

I think there is one simple and very logic place where shoud be simply but text, which will on tap cycle between "scale off", "scale on" and "in use" (it's made same way in Gadget) - scale off means all notes displayed, scale on means just notes in scale are displayed, and third option just used notes

here place in NS:

here how it is in gadget:

I don't think it's bad to simply rip-off this method of switching, it's most logical and obvious way ..