Copy tracks

edited August 2019 in Feature Requests

It would be useful to be able to copy tracks between projects, which would include not only the regions but also the instrument and fx chain in full.

Perhaps this could be via an ‘import’ command like the midi import feature?

Comments

• Additionally, a way to save a complete channel strip a la Logic would be awesome. You can save the audio fx and midi fx chains, but a global preset for the entire channel strip would be a huge time saver if it also saved the AU instrument along with its patch and mod. matrix.

I often have a few separate projects of the same idea; I go off in different directions and when they don't end in dead ends there are often parts in the project I want to copy into the 'main' project. A feature allowing tracks to be copied or imported into another project would make this quick and easy.

Unless I'm missing something and this is already possible?

• Not possible yet, but save of full track (including all it's child tracks, and their child tracks - etc) with all fxs and instruments is on todolist....

• @klownshed said:
    Unless I'm missing something and this is already possible?

It's possible—it's just a lot of steps. You can save the OBS patch (or slate kit), the mixer FX chain and export the MIDI for the track in question. First two will be available in any project immediately. The third (MIDI) would need to be imported manually. Sadly, other mixer settings (like send levels, or volume, etc) would need to be recreated manually.

Copy/paste and import/export of tracks across projects would be a total delight. Save/load mixer channels (optionally with the track's MIDI attached?? zomg!) would absolutely rule the school.

semi-related: you can, currently, copy and paste anything with a dedicated copy/paste command in the hamburger menu across projects. So you can copy and entire Obsidian patch or a sub-panel or an FX chain, etc, and paste it anywhere, including a different project. There's just no dedicated copy and paste for the song editor at this point.

• wondering if it will be posible to do some online tool for this, at the end nanostudio project is just XML file, so in theory thisvis just abou copy/paste some parts of this XML from one fike to other... need to so some reverse engineering on this :-)

• @dendy said:
    wondering if it will be posible to do some online tool for this, at the end nanostudio project is just XML file, so in theory thisvis just abou copy/paste some parts of this XML from one fike to other... need to so some reverse engineering on this :-)

I haven't investigated the MIDI part of this. Would be interested to hear if it's something you can grab as a glob or whatever. I imagine it's not plain text but yeah, haven't really looked into it. ctdata?

• Did some experiments with project XML data and i'm excited - this will be doable .. i need to ask Matt for some particular details in data structures - but hell yeah it looks like it will be possible to make simple app where you just put multiple NS projects and by simple drag'n'drop of tracks you can build new one from tracks from other projects ..

• Hmm, so export to Reaper should be easily doable too, Reaper is plain text project too.

yeah.. also export to Ableton which is basically same case (some text/xml with packed wav files) .. i have full head of ideas for online tool for such operations (combine tracks from various project, export project to different formats) , or maybe even iOS app .. at least as temporary solution until Matt will add it as native NS feature ..

considering my small amount of free time for coding, i'm expecting delivering in summer 2020 :lol:

• @dendy said:
    considering my small amount of free time for coding, i'm expecting delivering in summer 2020 :lol:

Have you decided which foot youll offer as collateral? Also, stay off your bike 😀