Duplicating a track

Is it possible to duplicate or clone a track.

Comments

• Not directly, but you can save the patch and Mixer FX chain separately and load them onto a new track.

• @rayg1952 @Stiksi I wish there were some duplicate button too;) as I almost always creating patches from scratch and usually don’t save them either so it would just tad simpler;) but can live with it as is anyway:DDD

• I wish for that too and it’s my understanding, that it’s fairly high up on the to do list, but obviously not before iphone and audio tracks so it might be a long wait.

• yeah, duplicate track will save lot of work, obviously ..

@Cray23 said:
    I wish there were some duplicate button too;) as I almost always creating patches from scratch and usually don’t save them either so it would just tad simpler;) but can live with it as is anyway:DDD

did you notices that that you can just copy - paste patch from one instrument to other, without need of saving it ? In combination with instrument mini browser in navigation bar it is really quick operation - i'm using it very often..

• edited August 2019

The reason why I duplicate tracks is because when I create a melody or a chord progression I like to layer my melodies to get it to sound better and fuller with different presets.

• @dendy nope I didn’t what a knob I am :D that’s great dendy thanks a lot again;)

• @rayg1952 said:
    The reason why I duplicate tracks is because when I create a melody or a chord progression I like to layer my melodies to get it to sound better and fuller with different presets.

yes i'm doing exactly same thing - layering is very powerful tool for full, rich and wide sound ..

my workflow is to fold all layers into one main parent (group) track - then i put insert FX's just on this group tracks, so all layers inside group are processed by same FX chain .. i then put notes in sequencer just on group track, i set "MIDI send" from that group track into all child tracks (layers) and on individual layers tracks i add just automations ..

this way i can even play in realtime whole layer - all sounds together - by simply playing keyboard on group track (for this purpose i insert "External MIDI" instrument on that group track)

• Interesting, I’m gonna have to give that a try. But why would you not put any notes on all the layers but only on the group track.

• edited August 2019

@rayg1952 said:
    Interesting, I’m gonna have to give that a try. But why would you not put any notes on all the layers but only on the group track.

The midi sends send the notes to all the children (subtracks) so they all play the same thing the parent plays. You can add more notes on the children if you want individual layers to play additional melodies.

Unlike dendy, I like to put the main sound on the parent track and have supportive sounds on the children. This has a drawback: when you export stems, you can’t get the main sound separate from the children automatically, you have to solo it and do a separate export. But I rarely need this, so it’s fine for me. Using dendy’s method takes slightly more effort but on export you get separate stems for all components.

• So can you have presets on the children tracks as well.

• @rayg1952 said:
    So can you have presets on the children tracks as well.

Absolutely! They are separate tracks with all the same qualities as all other tracks. So you can have an Obsidian or any AUv3 synth on any of the child tracks and it will play together with all the other tracks that the parent sends the midi to. It’s a great way to combine totally different instruments to create really deep sounds.

For example, I might have Ravenscroft multisample piano on one child and have that combine with Sunrizer and an Obsidian to create a massive orchestral sound and I can play all those synths with one keyboard or sequence them all on one parent track.

• edited August 2019

@rayg1952

it may sound complicated but it's actually pretty easy :) 2 simple screenshot to explain concept :-1:

here that midi on group track is sent to all 4 child instrument tracks, so they all are playing together same melody

Thanks to "MIDI send" actiavetd on that parent group track, where is clip placed:

Audio from those 4 instrument tracks is (obviously) automatically sent to that parent group thrack - so i havre insert FXs just on that parent group track, to process all layers through same FX chain ..

• @dendy said:
    @rayg1952

it may sound complicated but it's actually pretty easy :) 2 simple screenshot to explain concept :-1:

here that midi on group track is sent to all 4 child instrument tracks, so they all are playing together same melody

Thanks to "MIDI send" actiavetd on that parent group track, where is clip placed:

Audio from those 4 instrument tracks is (obviously) automatically sent to that parent group thrack - so i havre insert FXs just on that parent group track, to process all layers through same FX chain ..

Thanks Dendy, I’m been playing around with midi send and I’m getting the hang of it.