How to record AUfx MIDI OUT on iPhone

edited November 2019 in General chat

There is well known workaround for recording AUfx MIDI OUT into Nanostudio sequencer using MIDI Tools Route plugin on iPad. Unfortunately this plugin is not available on iPhone. But there is other way !

Few facts for better understanding of workflow described below.

• by default, selected Nanostudio track receives MIDI from all available MIDI input ports (which means you don't need to do anything special, except of selecting track, to receive / record all incoming MIDI data from all available ports on your device
  • only "External MIDI" instrument can sends notes into MIDI out port

Now. Let's suppose i have track in NS which has on FX slot Rozetta Arp. I want to feed Dixie FM with out of Rozzeta Arp and i want to record this output into sequencer track where is Dixie FM loaded.

As you can see at first two screenshots, i have 2 tracks - one with "External MIDI" instrument, where i loaded Rozetta in AU MiDI fx slot, and other track with Dixie..

At this screenshot, you can see that Dixie is playing notes from Arp and those notes are also recorded into sequencer

How is this possible ? It is simple. There is running "Midiflow" app with virtual IN / OUT MIDI ports on background.

In NS, i have "MIDIFLOW.IN" port set as output in "External MIDI" inszrument

This way, all MIDI notes from this track containing Rozetta are send to MIDIFLOW and from MIDIFLOW back to currently selected channel in NS (which is DixieFM channel in my case). So, this channel plays plays / records received incoming notes.

Similiard concept is possible also with AUM instead of MIDIFLOW (or theoretically with any app which is capable of forwarding all incomimg MIDI data from it's input to it's output...

You don't need to be afraid of recorded note duplicates if it loops - Nanostudio is smart enough to record same note on same position just once ;)

Comments

• Will this Midiflow app also allow me to record MIDI from EG Pulse or DigiStix in NS2? Or am I comparing apples and oranges here?

• edited October 2019

@peanut_gallery said:
    Will this Midiflow app also allow me to record MIDI from EG Pulse or DigiStix in NS2? Or am I comparing apples and oranges here?

Ni, this is something different.. workflow i described is for AU effects... for instruments there is not "inside NS" workaround - you simply need host Pulse or digisix let's say in AUM as "MIDI" instrument (eg. not in "audio" track but in "midi" track and then route it's putput into NS where you host that plugin as normal audio plugin... this way external instance hosted in AUM will just send midi into NS, so it works effectively like midi controller

• Okay. I've not gotten the AUM workaround working for me yet. Do AUM and NS2 sync up? I'm not terribly adept with AUM at the moment.

• @peanut_gallery said:
    Okay. I've not gotten the AUM workaround working for me yet. Do AUM and NS2 sync up? I'm not terribly adept with AUM at the moment.

Hosting Aum and Ns2 in audiobus3 for syncing, and start/stop etc.

• Ahh. So I have top purchase AB3 first. Thought I'd get away clean without having purchase that one. I may just wait for NS2 to get updated to handle it natively. Getting plenty of good results using DigiStix for kits and effects in NS2 and playing in the beats via a MIDI controller.

• You don’t need AudioBus to route the midi with AUM.

You need to follow the instructions as per dendys midi flow example above but instead of midi flow you connect the AUM destination directly to NS2 in AUMs midi routing settings in an otherwise empty project.

As you are only using AUM to route MIdi And aren’t hosting anything inside aum you don’t need to worry about syncing.