Am I right in saying that no one has found a bug yet?

Comments

• edited December 2018

@Brattcave can you elaborate more about that sustain pedal issue ? I'm not sure how this thing works on hardware side (i suppose if you push pedlal and release key, it doesn't send midi note off event ? And sends it only after you release pedal ?? If it works this way it's strange, it should work ...

• @flockz said:

@kleptolia said:

@blueveek said:

@SlapHappy said:
    I’d really like for you to help. I think your tone on a lot of threads has been a bit too strong. But I’ve already started to ignore your posts.

@SlapHappy said:
    Please do help out. Just help us to know where you are coming from.

I’m not going to justify what I’m doing just to please some old timers. My feedback is coming from a place of love, no reason to prove that to anyone.

I’m also not going to prefix every bug or surpising behavior I find with saying how great NS2 is. We all know NS2 is a phenomenal piece of software.

@kleptolia said:
    In short, they are being a bit snide, and you might be a touch nit-picky.

Bug reports can be subjective, I agree. Deciding whether or not something is “nitpicky” is also subjective.

Perhaps we need some guidelines for this thread then, carefully describing what consitutes a “real bug”. If “unintended or surprising behavior”, “accessory foobar isn’t working”, and “AUs behaving weirdly” aren’t real bugs, then all we’re left with is crashes.

I agree that the audio units situation could be considered a bug. It’s a good find.
    And whether the keyboard typing functionality is a bug or not, I’m sure the dev is glad to be made aware of it.
    He will likely fix it in time. Or not.
    If the problem is big enough, or if the weight of problems you mentioned (no per-pad fx, keyboard typing, weird AU behavior) is heavy enough, you may still be within the window to ask Apple for a refund.

I’m pretty sure Beatmaker 3 has most of that stuff. It’s a really powerful iOS DAW. I got it when it was free (one weekend JACKPOT! (Again, italics)). I was really excited, but just couldn’t get into it.

Nanostudio seems to appeal to those who want to lay down tracks and ideas quickly, without worry about how much reverb is on a single pedaled high hat, or whether or not they are wearing underwear.

Beatmaker seems like it’s aimed at the men and women who own 30-40 different midi controllers and spend around 5 hours a day on forums discussing how they can hook all them to the app, simultaneously. (Hint. Use USB hubs. Lots of them!)

Meanwhile, Sunvox users are wearing capes and seriously debating whether or not alchemy has already been accomplished.

Pretty sure both apps are aimed at musicians. Hilarious these odd categories of musician/producer types that are being thrown around. These ones are bm3! These ones are ns2! Pretty sure neither dev would want to limit their audience/market like that...

Pretty sure they aren’t. But the people who are drawn to the different apps like them for similar reasons, generally. There are exceptions, of course.

I’ve owned way too many music apps on iOS. I think the only major music app I haven’t owned is FL Studio. I’m well aware of why I like Nanostudio, and I’ve seen many comments saying similar. I could certainly be completely wrong. I definitely don’t care if i am. I’ll correct my point of view and move on.

• It> @kleptolia said:

@flockz said:

@kleptolia said:

@blueveek said:

@SlapHappy said:
    I’d really like for you to help. I think your tone on a lot of threads has been a bit too strong. But I’ve already started to ignore your posts.

@SlapHappy said:

I’m not going to justify what I’m doing just to please some old timers. My feedback is coming from a place of love, no reason to prove that to anyone.

I’m also not going to prefix every bug or surpising behavior I find with saying how great NS2 is. We all know NS2 is a phenomenal piece of software.

@kleptolia said:

Bug reports can be subjective, I agree. Deciding whether or not something is “nitpicky” is also subjective.

Perhaps we need some guidelines for this thread then, carefully describing what consitutes a “real bug”. If “unintended or surprising behavior”, “accessory foobar isn’t working”, and “AUs behaving weirdly” aren’t real bugs, then all we’re left with is crashes.

I agree that the audio units situation could be considered a bug. It’s a good find.
    And whether the keyboard typing functionality is a bug or not, I’m sure the dev is glad to be made aware of it.
    If the problem is big enough, or if the weight of problems you mentioned (no per-pad fx, keyboard typing, weird AU behavior) is heavy enough, you may still be within the window to ask Apple for a refund.

I’m pretty sure Beatmaker 3 has most of that stuff. It’s a really powerful iOS DAW. I got it when it was free (one weekend JACKPOT! (Again, italics)). I was really excited, but just couldn’t get into it.

Nanostudio seems to appeal to those who want to lay down tracks and ideas quickly, without worry about how much reverb is on a single pedaled high hat, or whether or not they are wearing underwear.

Beatmaker seems like it’s aimed at the men and women who own 30-40 different midi controllers and spend around 5 hours a day on forums discussing how they can hook all them to the app, simultaneously. (Hint. Use USB hubs. Lots of them!)

Meanwhile, Sunvox users are wearing capes and seriously debating whether or not alchemy has already been accomplished.

Pretty sure both apps are aimed at musicians. Hilarious these odd categories of musician/producer types that are being thrown around. These ones are bm3! These ones are ns2! Pretty sure neither dev would want to limit their audience/market like that...

Pretty sure they aren’t. But the people who are drawn to the different apps like them for similar reasons, generally. There are exceptions, of course.

I’ve owned way too many music apps on iOS. I think the only major music app I haven’t owned is FL Studio. I’m well aware of why I like Nanostudio, and I’ve seen many comments saying similar. I could certainly be completely wrong. I definitely don’t care if i am. I’ll correct my point of view and move on.

It’s just funny people assuming so much...

• @flockz said:
    It> @kleptolia said:

@flockz said:

@kleptolia said:

@blueveek said:

@SlapHappy said:

@SlapHappy said:

@kleptolia said:

It’s just funny people assuming so much...

Lots of things are funny.

• Yeah, a riot.

• Elephants eating marula fruit is always a crowd pleaser.

• @dendy said:
    @Brattcave can you elaborate more about that sustain pedal issue ? I'm not sure how this thing works on hardware side (i suppose if you push pedlal and release key, it doesn't send midi note off event ? And sends it only after you release pedal ?? If it works this way it's strange, it should work ...

Hi Dendy. Thanks for the interest - happy to elaborate. This is no doubt user error but I just can't see why this isn't working. Here's what I've tried:

With internal obsidian instruments or AUs I cannot get the sustain pedal working on my external keyboards. (Roland FP-7, Roland FA-08). I've even rigged up a small little sustain switch on my iPhone that I use for convenience using midi designer over network connection - I even put it on the floor so I can use my foot! These different methods all work with every app I've tried. But not here for some reason.

Example: Opened a new project with the default template and loaded an Obsidian patch - 'Electric Piano 2' from the factory preset. The app recognises my keyboard and I can play notes - but the sustain pedal has no effect (Works on everything else though).

To make things stranger... I can go into the midi controller map for that track and when pressing learn for e.g Knob 1 it recognises my sustain pedal as cc64 (as expected) and inserts it as 'Hold pedal'.

But the neither internal or external instruments (e.g AU Ravenscroft piano) react to the sustain pedal in order to sustain notes. I've checked all the in/out settings but if there's a setting, then I'm missing it!

Any help would be gratefully received - just trying to get some piano based material down tonight while I have the rare evening off! Loving the app apart from this so far though.

Cheers,
    Brett

• If it is of any help, I have a nanokey studio (yep, love all nano stuff) that has a sustain button, which probably sends some kind of midi message.
    FWIW, I can confirm the button works with GarageBand, Nanologue (yeah that nano obsession again) and Magellan. It doesn’t with SynthOne, Animoog, SunrizerXS and yep you guessed it Nanostudio 2. So it could be something in the midi message implementation I believe.

• @Zupi said:
    If it is of any help, I have a nanokey studio (yep, love all nano stuff) that has a sustain button, which probably sends some kind of midi message.
    FWIW, I can confirm the button works with GarageBand, Nanologue (yeah that nano obsession again) and Magellan. It doesn’t with SynthOne, Animoog, SunrizerXS and yep you guessed it Nanostudio 2. So it could be something in the midi message implementation I believe.

That IS of help - yes! Damn... I hoping it was me being a numpty. Seems a strange thing for beta testers to have missed. Get a proper keyboard hooked up to this thing - it deserves it! :)

Still, hopefully a minor fix (Developers love that expression!) if it does turn out to be something that needs fixing.

Thanks!

• edited December 2018

And since we all nanolovers love workarounds...
    You can remap the sustain pedal in the midi controller map of the Obsidian, which seems to be the number 64 (hold pedal). ;)
    Not an ideal solution since not every patch use the same destinations... but that could be a rant for non lovers though.

• Wow!!! This is a major turn off. So instead of creating a log of bugs that people have reported so far they are met with resistance. I was about to post what I think is a bug and I’m reading this and got turned off. You guys are really doing a great job!!!!! People are reporting bugs to help make the app better. Whether you think it’s high priority or not is not up to users or beta testers. It’s up to the developer @Blip Interactive. Matt is a big boy and can make his own decisions he’s been doing so for about six years. He wrote the code, not y’all.

Matt I think you should talk to some in here and let them know that people are trying to help and are not here to cause problems.

• No bugs I’ve seen yet, but side effects of exposure to NS2 include: head nodding, insomnia, brain melting, happy feet accompanied by antsy pants and an increased need to dance. If jam sessions last longer than 4 hours you’re doing it right, rock on and turn that mother out.

• @hansjbs said:
    Wow!!! This is a major turn off. So instead of creating a log of bugs that people have reported so far they are met with resistance. I was about to post what I think is a bug and I’m reading this and got turned off. You guys are really doing a great job!!!!! People are reporting bugs to help make the app better. Whether you think it’s high priority or not is not up to users or beta testers. It’s up to the developer @Blip Interactive. Matt is a big boy and can make his own decisions he’s been doing so for about six years. He wrote the code, not y’all.

Matt I think you should talk to some in here and let them know that people are trying to help and are not here to cause problems.

If someone has a bug to report let them do it properly. Description of the bug. Steps to reproduce. What device and iOS. The standard stuff. Not just “this don’t work the way I think it should and everyone and everything sucks because of it”.

• @Brattcave said:
    Seems a strange thing for beta testers to have missed.

It all fell apart after the Badgers got out.

This might be an actual issue that Matt needs to look at. I don’t play piano any more so I never need a pedal. I have NanoKeys & NanoStudio and found their buttons a bit lacking, so I never use them anymore. Just a quick play of keys.

Anyway, did you ‘Arm’ the track in the mixer with the ‘W’ for write?

• @Brattcave said:

Get a proper keyboard hooked up to this thing - it deserves it! :)

I’d love to but I have a serious space problem. To get an idea, I use some mediocre Creative labs speakers for auditioning because they had the smallest footprint I could find. :D

• @anickt said:

@hansjbs said:
    Wow!!! This is a major turn off. So instead of creating a log of bugs that people have reported so far they are met with resistance. I was about to post what I think is a bug and I’m reading this and got turned off. You guys are really doing a great job!!!!! People are reporting bugs to help make the app better. Whether you think it’s high priority or not is not up to users or beta testers. It’s up to the developer @Blip Interactive. Matt is a big boy and can make his own decisions he’s been doing so for about six years. He wrote the code, not y’all.

If someone has a bug to report let them do it properly. Description of the bug. Steps to reproduce. What device and iOS. The standard stuff. Not just “this don’t work the way I think it should and everyone and everything sucks because of it”.

Really @Brattcave needed to state the “standard stuff” for his bug? @blueveek needed to state that for his bugs also? I don’t see anyone in here saying “everything sucks” just cause they found a bug so you’re just making things up or maybe you’re interpreting things the negative way.
    Are you responding to any of them properly??? Did you properly respond to my comment?

• @Zupi said:
    And since we all nanolovers love workarounds...
    You can remap the sustain pedal in the midi controller map of the Obsidian, which seems to be the number 64 (hold pedal). ;)
    Not an ideal solution since not every patch use the same destinations... but that could be a rant for non lovers though.

Been trying this exact thing but... while it appears (in midi controller map) you can remap the knobs 1-8 and x & y pads to different midi CCs and even get an external source to react to that, I cannot see a way to remap incoming data. E.g take incoming CC64 and turn it into... the correct mapping (Which would be what I wonder, 69 Hold pedal 2... not sure).

Also... I tried remapping one of the knobs from the perform view window and when I click on 'add destination' it sends me back out to the perform view with an orangey rectangle message box that says select a mod destination. I can only press X to get rid of this message - I can't seem to actually map anything. Early teething problems...

• @hansjbs said:

There is no resistance to reporting bugs. Reporting bugs can be polite - no need to be hard-edged. That was just my opinion. Blueveek asked so I said my peace. Any user can have an opinion. He posted his - I posted mine. We are not fighting each other - at least I don’t see it that way. I only asked that we are positive in the vibe we are posting. If I was wring abou Blueveek’s intention, I apologize. I hoped I had made it clear in my post that it wasn’t personal against him. I previously thought he was just taking the piss and that made me laugh and post with some emojis. Hardly the start of a flame war. I had no anger on my part - still don’t have any nor intend illwill. Nothing to get excited about. If on the other hand anyone is offended by what I have posted please contact me directly. Otherwise this should be long since resolved, unless I am missing something...? Let me know. Peace!

• @hansjbs said:

Others can post opinions but not me? Can you elaborate on this?

• @SlapHappy said:
    This might be an actual issue that Matt needs to look at. I don’t play piano any more so I never need a pedal. I have NanoKeys & NanoStudio and found their buttons a bit lacking, so I never use them anymore. Just a quick play of keys.

Anyway, did you ‘Arm’ the track in the mixer with the ‘W’ for write?

I did try that yes - No joy. Would sustain information whilst auditioning sounds count as automation? Note and velocity information are being relayed live, just not sustain information. Ho hum... bound to get an answer in due course.

• Folks... just to remind some that this pinned thread was officially started by 'Blip Interactive' - with the word 'bug' in the title. Surely this is the proper place to report potential bugs. We're all on the same side here. Catching potential bugs isn't a malicious thing. It's meant to help the developer. In my case I assumed it was me being a numpty. (Might still be the case!) It's possible someone else might want to plug their keyboard into this and play the piano based sounds (Or acoustic packs 1 & 2) and wonder why their sustain pedal isn't working... I'm sure it'll all get sorted. So far looking like this was well worth the wait. Great stuff.

• edited December 2018

@Brattcave said:
    Been trying this exact thing but...

Sorry if I didn’t make myself clear. Here is what I did for testing purposes:
    I went to the mixer window, double tapped under the fader at (the obsidian name) and the track window appeared. In the right there are the midi controls for setting up the performance knobs.
    The “Knob 2” is in most cases the Amp envelop release parameter. I pressed the “Learn” button there and right after that the sustain button of the nanokey studio.
    Thereafter the button sends an 127 value to the Knob emulating the sustain effect. Probably you can do this too if the learn function can detect your pedal.
    Hope this will help.

• @Zupi said:
    Sorry if I didn’t make myself clear. Here is what I did for testing purposes:
    I went to the mixer window, double tapped under the fader at (the obsidian name) and the track window appeared. In the right there are the midi controls for setting up the performance knobs.
    The “Knob 2” is in most cases the Amp envelop release parameter. I pressed the “Learn” button there and right after that the sustain button of the nanokey studio.
    Thereafter the button sends an 127 value to the Knob emulating the sustain effect. Probably you can do this too if the learn function can detect your pedal. Hope this will help.

If I understand you correctly I've done what you suggest but had no luck with that. Whilst I was able to do exactly as you suggest and get knob 1 mapped to 64: Hold pedal, when I go back to the perform page knob 1 is still mapped to 'attack' (Using Electric piano 2 from factory set). I can't seem to get the midi controller map to override the existing perform view value. If I try doing this from within the perform view with the '+ edit dest' option there's an '+ Add' option but when you click it, it kicks you back out to the perform view again.

Have you tried this and got success then? I'm on a mission now :)

• edited December 2018

@Brattcave said:
    If I try doing this from within the perform view with the '+ edit dest' option there's an '+ Add' option but when you click it, it kicks you back out to the perform view again.

Okay - so when you do the above and it returns you to the perform view, you can click on 'edit' in the left column view and then click on any of the + signs to add a mapping. Loads to choose from here. But I'm still left not being able to use the mappings I've set up in midi controller view. It reverts to the perform window mappings - even if I've initialise them there.

So far the midi controller map window allows me set my sustain pedal (64 Hold Pedal) to activate what ever knob 1 is on the perform page (Where sustain isn't an option). But I cannot use any of this to remap the incoming sustain information to a value that Nanostudio can use to affect the actual note sustain. If that makes sense :p

• I think the most important factor here is the midi learn function and if your pedal sends a midi message and if the app recognizes this message. If you press the “LEARN” button in the MIDI CONTROLLER MAP and then push your pedal, it gets recognized by the app? As I get it the midi learn function scans for any change on any midi controller parameter it receives. Sorry if I can’t be more specific as I am amateur too.

• @Zupi Yep - I can do this but the only effect is that now the sustain pedal can be used to remotely control knob 1 in the perform view. Which is useful but doesn't allow me to get NS to recognise actual incoming sustain information. If you fiddle about you'll see what I mean. (Or I've missed something which is more than possible!)

• @SlapHappy said:

@hansjbs said:

@SlapHappy said:

@hansjbs said:

My comments was not directed at you. It’s something i noticed in this forum. I thought it was me but I also see reports of others saying the same at the AB forum. They feel the same way I feel about the attitude of some in here. We’re all are on the same boat I don’t see why we can’t coexist. I understand people love NS2 and been waiting for a while for this. I beta test for several apps and I keep an open mind to any bugs reported and try to reproduce or ask for details on how to reproduce it. I’m not new to NanoStudio I had it back when it first came out, I was in the old forum but never really communicated cuz NS1 and I did not click. I’m trying to give this another try, bought the app, come back in here to interact and I feel resistance. Not good and like I said I’m not the only one feeling this way.

• I am not sure if I was clear but the workaround I suggested doesn’t work for all patches. If you are able to map the pedal, since it’s recognized,in the “Knob 2”, which act as a release amount on the amplification envelope in many patches, you will be able to use it as a “fake” sustain. It’s not really a full featured workaround. ;)

• edited December 2018

@Brattcave can we please continue about your sustain problem in this thread ? Just to avoid m mess, becausen there are other unrelated posts ... This thread was definitely not mentioned as single biplace where to teport all stuff, every report should have own thread for better order...

here, thanks : https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/community/index.php?p=/discussion/130/using-sustain-pedal-with-nanostudio/p1?new=1

• @dendy Was going to just suggest that - apologies, didn't mean to derail things. I have a tendency to go into detail :) Cheers.