Just an opinion

I’ve had NS2 running pretty much all my waking hours since it’s UK release and I am mightily impressed!

Yes there are the odd thing I really want to see:

1. Mini timeline.
  2. AU midi record to timeline as an option.
  3. Key switch on the AU fx page.
  4. Choice of start up project or non auto option.

These things will make me go for it in a big way and here’s why:

1. The stability is really good
  2. Obsidian actually does most the things I used BM3s sampler for and I’m finding it’s easy enough to make good sounds and capable enough to make great sounds. I could use this for 90% of my sounds.
  3. NS2 is capable of making midi track ‘stems’ for export. This is quite rare on iOS and along with its audio export options, I can transfer all I need to Auria Pro.
  4. Multiple takes on a track is a god send when making a song for amateurs like myself.
  5. Getting audio and midi into NS2 is easy.
  6. Midi chopping and arranging is really intuitive imo.
  7. I’m happy enough with the automation options - the limitations I can work around, as much of the fx automation I’m better off adding later in Auria. NS2 will be mainly for clueing the basic track together.

So, my iOS musical solution will be NS2 for starting the song while mostly working in midi. Cubasis for adding the high end AU tracks because of its really good freeze function and my poor Air 2 spec. Ending in Auria Pro for its mixing prowess.

I will transfer my samples into NS2 and build up kits as and when I need them. Cutting down the apps I’m using will hopefully streamline my music making and help me suffer less crashes to background etc.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not putting down iMPC Pro, BM3 and StageLight, but I’ve got to slim down the process of music making. Complexity has been my enemy lol.

This is just my opinions and I will update how it goes here for anyone interested. I’m not selling this approach though, as everyone here needs a different approach that matches their own particular needs. Two things stop me keeping everything on my iPad, 1. 64gb storage and 2. Too many options creates distractions.

So if the dev does happen to read this - thanks. I’m really impressed that you’ve made the hard sell decision to go with stability and ease of use over feature cram. I hope the commercial side of the app keeps you able to keep it going for many years to come :)

Comments

• Yeah. This app is gold. It’s actually making me love the linear timeline workflow of creating tracks...and i just love working in Ableton and BM3.

For the price it’s a steal in my opinion. Obsidian is just amazing sounding.

Lots to love in this app. Going to be cool seeing it evolve and grow but as a 2.0 new release rewrite...wow. Just wow 💗🤪

• Nice take and love the enthusiasm and suggestions. I'm sure Matt will take note as he's taking the longview with continually improving the app.

As for point #4. You can simply overwrite "default" project with whatever settings you prefer as your own default.

• As for point #4. You can simply overwrite "default" project with whatever settings you prefer as your own default.

Though not quite meeting the original request just to add to @StevePAL's suggestion there's also Settings->settings->UI->Start View where you can choose between "Last Page", Project, song or mixer page.

Can definitely see the motivation behind wanting to select a specific project or a new project based on some template though. If you want to use a specific project instead of a template for some reason, you might try saving it as _whatever (with the underscore so it's always at the top of the list) and then setting start view to Project Page. Again, not quite the same but should work pretty well.

• edited December 2018

@Fruitbat1919 is talking about something else.. He wants app open some kind of dialogue wimdow with question if load last saved priject, or load other project by choice. Something like dialogue in NS1 or BM3 after you run app.

Not sure if Matt will want go this way (popup dialogue on start, for lot users it can be annoying because they simply want contine where they ended)

But maybe compromise solution - switch in settings "on app start" - with options "load last saved project" [default] , "load default template", "load empty project"

this way everybody will be able to set app to start in stage which bedt fits to his needs

@Fruitbat1919 What do you think about this proposal ?

• edited December 2018

Why not simply add an fifth startup option to open to the “Load” screen (the page you get to when you select Load from the menu) with the last used opened project selected (or nothing selected), but don’t load anything until something is actually double-tapped?

The other existing start page options would behave exactly as they do now.

• @dendy said:

@Fruitbat1919 is talking about something else.. He wants app open some kind of dialogue wimdow with question if load last saved priject, or load other project by choice. Something like dialogue in NS1 or BM3 after you run app.

Not sure if Matt will want go this way (popup dialogue on start, for lot users it can be annoying because they simply want contine where they ended)

But maybe compromise solution - switch in settings "on app start" - with options "load last saved project" [default] , "load default template", "load empty project"

this way everybody will be able to set app to start in stage which bedt fits to his needs

@Fruitbat1919 What do you think about this proposal ?

Yep that would be fine :)

• Ok so a bit further along the ownership line and a few more thoughts and feelings on NS2:

1. I really like having just a few fx in Obsidian and having a bypass switch. The way I use it is nearly always switched off, so a dry sound. I then put the fx on their own channel or grouped fx - this way I can keep a dry and wet track for the instruments.

2. Obsidian is such a well designed synth to have built in. It will do the duties that I used romplers for in my hardware days, but still gives great scope for interesting and unique sounds - it actually feels like a synth where many romplers don’t.

3. Still over the moon with the speed with which I can arrange my midi - super fast compared to most my other hosts / DAWs

4. The groups and lanes are the real cream for me. It’s not that they are something amazingly new, it’s just they are so well done in an iOS app that prides itself on simplicity

So it’s all good....or is it? Well nothing is perfect and while I’ve welcomed NS2 into my fold with open arms, a few things will always bug me unles they get sorted at some point. As mentioned before:

1. Mini timeline.
    2. AU midi record.
    3. AU fx automation (even if done with macro knobs).
    4. AU fx key sound switch.
      And I would love a quick button on the the Obsidian and Slate views to get to the sends / fx etc pages quickly. Also, I would some way to resample live from something played on a track (not recorded).

Notice I don’t mention audio tracks. Not really missed them much at this stage of my tracks. For me, NS2 is great as a place to start tracks, but as a full production environment? Nope, not for me - I simply couldn’t use it that way. Thing is I don’t finish much anyway lol

• @dendy said:

I like it.

• @Will said:

@dendy said:

I like it.

+1