Non destructive swing

Hi guys, I'm totally new to NS2 so apologies if the feature is there and I didn't find it. I started using NS2 and quickly I found the first real show stopper - lack of swing feature. Of course there is the destructive one but I cannot really work with it. Its next to impossible to work on a beat where every time I do the change, like adding a note or moving it, I need to apply quantization. It should be real-time like in 99% of other music apps.
To make it really cool, I would like it to be a little bit more comprehensive, perhaps allowing for different types of swing, and different micro timing changes allowing wonky & off-tempo beats.
Ideally, these grooves should be selectable per-track.
But to start with, a global one would be great.
Thanks

Comments

• @Pavlova said:
    Hi guys, I'm totally new to NS2 so apologies if the feature is there and I didn't find it. I started using NS2 and quickly I found the first real show stopper - lack of swing feature. Of course there is the destructive one but I cannot really work with it. Its next to impossible to work on a beat where every time I do the change, like adding a note or moving it, I need to apply quantization.

Well, it’s not non-destructive, but you can set swing for the grid, which will snap all new notes into the swung positions and you can also set it for record so that all new played notes will snap into place. These can all be different or the same, whichever you choose.

I would definitely recommend going through the manual which you can find in the app or at the top of this page. The manual will probably answer 90% of the questions you will have in the first days with NS better than we can.

• I agree with the OP, this is one of the very few questionable design decisions in NS2, which is otherwise a really well-thought-out app.

I'm not sure what was behind the decision to only implement destructive swing but it's a real shame, because non-destructive swing that you can adjust on the fly while listening to the result in real-time is a much better way of creating good grooves.

I would certainly love to have this feature added in the future.