Best audio in/out solution for iPad Pro usc-c

Hi folks, I currently have a first gen iPad Pro. I use a 3.5mm jack for audio out to speakers, lightning cable for power and a Bluetooth puc for midi in.

Considering upgrading to newest iPad Pro but for the life of me I cannot find the correct solution on many google searches.

Would anyone be able to suggest to me the best neatest solution to get the charging, midi and analog audio out with the new iPads?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• different point of view - is there any other reason than 12.9" screen why you want to upgrade to new PRO ?

Because just in case 12.9" is not that drucial, i would suggest upgrade to 2019 AIR3 model - it has audio jack as nice bonus and for audio apps basically almost same performance like 2018 pro model ..

• 12.9” screen is the thing drawing me in!

• If you don’t mind spending an extra $99 then I think a Dragonfly Black is a pretty good solution, you can plug it into any USB hub and you are in full control of sample rates etc. I bought one for my iPhone XR so that I could have a portable interface and avoid all the annoying sample rate issues with the newer Apple devices. It’s a bit of a luxury admittedly but it does make life a lot easier.

• Just googled the drangonfly. I was hoping for a dongle that had usb c charging, audio and midi/in out. Maybe doesn’t exist!

Thanks.

• @johnrob66 said:
    Just googled the drangonfly. I was hoping for a dongle that had usb c charging, audio and midi/in out. Maybe doesn’t exist!

Thanks.

You would have to use the Dragonfly in conjunction with a small charging hub.

• @SlapHappy did you ever find a solution to this? I remember you'd spent some time researching this very question.

• HyperDrive - Ultimate 11-Port USB-C Hub $99 at BestBuy

This is what I’m using. Powers the iPad Pro, allows MIDI controller, and the hub has an audio jack, which I’m using with external speakers. I have a problem with complete audio drop out for a couple seconds (once per session) but this seems to be an iPad Pro issue, nothing wrong with the hub. So far the iPad Pro seems to be fine for my project studio, but it is not suitable for gigging. The audio dropout would not go over well with the crowds. If I eventually do any gigs, I would get an iPad Air3 or other that had reliable audio jacks.

Hope that helps.

• Thanks for the help, I’ll look into that hub!

• @dendy said:
    different point of view - is there any other reason than 12.9" screen why you want to upgrade to new PRO ?

Because just in case 12.9" is not that drucial, i would suggest upgrade to 2019 AIR3 model - it has audio jack as nice bonus and for audio apps basically almost same performance like 2018 pro model ..

I agree. I bought 12’9 3rd gen for myself and it is the pain. Then I bought the latest model of the Air (2019) for my wife and it is great! It has an audio jack, it is better with the battery. My Pro drains battery like hell. This usb-c... it is ok, but removing 3,5 jack is crazy *** bad idea. No way why Apple did it.

btw Pro 3rd gen 12’9 has a good CPU, good screen size, etc. I bought it for the CPU only. Also it has not bad internal speakers. But no 3,5 jack oh it is annoying me a lot! I just pissed of every time when I want to make something and can’t find this small adapter for the headphones! Or when I need to charge it I need to remove headphones out. 🤬😤😡

• @romanch said:
    🤬😤😡

Exactly this.

• @johnrob66 I plan to buy next things for my iPad Pro:
    This one:
    Http . . www.belkin.com/uk/p/P-F7U080/

Or this one:
    Http . . satechi.net/products/type-c-to-3-5mm-audio-headphone-jack-adapter

Sorry, but I haven’t any of them at the moment, but I plan to buy one in the second part of the month. I want to notice you, I haven’t checked them. I checked many other adapters right in stores, but they aren’t work!

I will write result if need. Now I use small Apple’s USB-C to 3,5 adapter, and bunch of other wires. (Usb-c to usb, usb-c to usb2-in)

• @johnrob66 sorry, one more thing:
    Also many of adapters “type-c / usb-2-out”, “type-c/ usb-2-in”, “type-c / 3,5 audio” - many of them has a cheap price, but aren’t work.

It is because many Android devices have the type-c, but use another scheme. This kind of wires/adapters will not gives you charge/sound/connection. Keep in mind.