You Were Made For Rainy Weather - ambient indie

Composed and arranged in NS2, mixing and vocal tracking in Auria. Quite a few of my own Obsidian patches in the track, I'll be releasing a pack of lo-fi and ambient patches later this month hopefully.

Comments

• nice! Love the sounds and especially love the harmonies.

• Thanks! I'm a bit unsure about the mix, so I will leave it for a month and listen again with fresh ears at a later date.

• @richardyot said:
    Thanks! I'm a bit unsure about the mix, so I will leave it for a month and listen again with fresh ears at a later date.

I really like the mix. Were I sitting in front of the project file, the experiment I'd consider is dropping the vocals by 3-6db while boosting some upperish frequency band on the vocals by a similar amount. Like, making them a little less present in the mix generally but boosting the so-called "presence" at roughly an equal amount. But yeah, largely as an experiment only—think it sounds good as is.

• @Will said:

@richardyot said:
    Thanks! I'm a bit unsure about the mix, so I will leave it for a month and listen again with fresh ears at a later date.

I really like the mix. Were I sitting in front of the project file, the experiment I'd consider is dropping the vocals by 3-6db while boosting some upperish frequency band on the vocals by a similar amount. Like, making them a little less present in the mix generally but boosting the so-called "presence" at roughly an equal amount. But yeah, largely as an experiment only—think it sounds good as is.

Interesting thought - I might give it a try. I presume that would only be on the brighter verse section and not the darker chorus? I'm quite happy with the vocal tone on the chorus (but then again it's always difficult to be objective about one's own voice, so a second opinion is always valuable).

• Nice track! The synth, effects and vocals work well together. 👍🏻😁

• @richardyot as usual, great tune. Nice composition and that pad is really lovely especially at the end where it is fading away;) nice!

• @Cray23 said:
    @richardyot as usual, great tune. Nice composition and that pad is really lovely especially at the end where it is fading away;) nice!

Thanks for the listen! I'll have a listen to your latest track tomorrow.

• Love the laid back vibe on this track. Been running this on repeat.

• Wow. Very cool in so many ways!
    I agree with @Will on the vocal mixing; on my PC speakers and with my imperfect ears the vocals came across a bit muddied, and Will's suggestion might help that. Might just have been the mic?

By comparison, your vocal in On Fire comes through so much more clearly for me, and is better for it :)

• @richardyot said:

@Will said:

@richardyot said:

Interesting thought - I might give it a try. I presume that would only be on the brighter verse section and not the darker chorus? I'm quite happy with the vocal tone on the chorus (but then again it's always difficult to be objective about one's own voice, so a second opinion is always valuable).

Sorry, I missed this post. Yes, that's what I was thinking.

On re-listen, I'm even less convinced though! The new single experiment would be to just turn the bass up throughout the entire track. I think that would have a similar equalizing effect (as it would start to mask things up to near the 'presence' range) while beefing the entire track up a bit.

• @Will said:

@richardyot said:

@Will said:

@richardyot said:

Sorry, I missed this post. Yes, that's what I was thinking.

On re-listen, I'm even less convinced though! The new single experiment would be to just turn the bass up throughout the entire track. I think that would have a similar equalizing effect (as it would start to mask things up to near the 'presence' range) while beefing the entire track up a bit.

Thanks - I've copied and pasted both these suggestions into my mix notes, and will try them out. It's always useful to have an impartial opinion!