NS2 and Logic Pro X

Just if anyone also is interested in using NS2 with Logic or as a general experience for those who might try it.
So it was interesting to connect NS2 via IDAM to Logic Pro X and how easy it can work (beside sometimes a disconnect of IDAM when changing a patch or track where i have to reconnect it but i doubt it has anything to do with NS2 but more with IDAM/mac/Logic or iOS).
However, once i figured out how to connect audio and midi via IDAM and made a template i really love the combination and that i now can use my Macbook computer keyboard as general midi input for Obsidian as well and record midi in NS2 and Logic at the same time since i prefer it that way in 90% (even if i still own a Seaboard and used other midi keyboards or could use the touch screen as input). Even more nice that i can use all the midi FX inside Logic and it records into NS2 as well and Obsidian sounds so nice trough my favorite FX of course too.
I just have to figure out some more things but so far i love the workflow and how easy i can integrate NS2 into my Logic projects (and vice versa).
I have to figure out a lot more things and also stumbled over some interesting things. F.e. i had the Logic project in 120 bpm and NS2 in 80 bpm. I recorded Obsidian midi via the Logic intern arp into the NS2 sequencer and wondered that it sounded slower than the original. Then i realized that it perfectly matched it when i set NS2 also to 120 bpm (or vice versa Logic to 80 bpm). I thought it would just live record the input but it seems to converted the tempo in realtime? Not sure if it was because of some kind of quantization or snap to grid but interesting to know that it works.
So NS2 is not only a great iOS DAW for itself but it works really wonderful together with my other environment.
Now i have to figure out how to proper create some multi-sampled Obsidian patches (any resources here for a fast workflow?) which i will share of course once i have something usable. I really love the combination of multi-sampling from acoustic and prepared synthesized sound and synthesis in one tool. Great to have such a nice hybrid synth on my iPhone.

Comments

• Great to have you back 😀 that sounds like a sweet setup!

• edited October 28

@Cinebient
    Now i have to figure out how to proper create some multi-sampled Obsidian patches (any resources here for a fast workflow?)

This is very simple .. create your samples in the way:

"somesample C0.wav"
    "somesample F1.wav"
    "somesample F2.wav"

eventually category it to subfolders if you have more of them

Then zip whole file structure, upload it on dropbox.

Go to NS > Settings > Files > Manage Audio Files

In hamburger menu choose import from dropbox, select zip file

NS unpacks whole file inclucing subdirectories into Library/Inbox folder

Open Obsidian, seelect sample oscillator, tap "Automap Samples" - and choose one file from set of files with same name just different note suffix - it loads automatically ALL files and creates proper zones for them.

Note that one Obsidian sample oscillator can handle up to 24 zones.

Also, after you load samples, check this icon - there are some "mass actions" which you can apply to all loaded samples at once - very handy stuff.

Btw here is my challenge for you - looking forward for your track which you made entirely just in NS !! I really want to hear NS2 only tune from such legendary NS1 user like you :)

• Thank´s for the tips dendy!
    Well, not sure about the challenge since i much prefer a crossplatform set-up and do not like to limit myself but it could be interesting indeed.
    But where are the borders these days? If i import sample/multisamples into NS2 is it still NS2?
    Because of these things i stopped doing "made with iOS only/iPhone only" projects.
    For me just the music and creativity counts and not with what you did it.
    And like i said. NS2 effects are pretty good and i was especially surprised that the reverb is actually very usable too but i still prefer to mangle Obsidian trough my favorite FX, midi FX etc. so it sounds even better.
    However it could be interesting to try it indeed with NS2 only and also just only intern/factory sounds/patches just for fun. But i´m also getting older and i wonder myself how i could create full songs on a 3.5" screen while i´m struggling now with my 5.5" screen on my iPhone 6S plus.
    But NS2 is for sure the very best DAW i ever had in my hands on a freaking smartphone and these days it is so easy to connect it to my mac and integrate it. I love the DAW part and Slate and all the great things (some are even better as in Logic for me) but i´m mostly interested in Obsidian :)

• @Cinebient said:
    But where are the borders these days?

I agree - borders only limit creativity :) and I'm really glad that things like AUv3 (instruments and fx and midifx) and Ableton Link and WebDAV and audiocopy make things work together better.

• Welcome back, Cinebient!

For velocity layered multi-samples, do as Dendy suggests and then do the same for each of the other two Obsidian oscillators. Then, hit 'VEL' on the oscillator bar and then 'Split 3' to set the velocity cross over for each oscillator.

If possible, create three folders of samples:

1. my-sound--low/up to 24 samples
    2. my-sound--med/up to 24 samples
    3. my-sound--loud/up to 24 samples

That way you can still easily use the 'Automap samples' thing Dendy describes for each OSC.

• edited October 30

Thank´s again for the good tips. So i could make 3 dynamics/velocity layers and could sample 24 notes across a certain range. Does NS2 read loop points or so?
    I will just try to create one multi-sampled Obsidian patch as test and see how it works.
    I would share it of course if someone would be interested in some dark-sci-fi textures with some nice 3D movements :)
    I normally think a range from C1 to C7 is a good range. So 6 octaves would make it a sample every 3 (so just one half tone tuned up/down from the original) notes which i think is a good compromise between dynamic and space. Sometimes i also prefer to just sample one per octave because especially some sound sources get more gritty and nice when you tune them down (while mostly tune them up gives the not so nice chipmunk effect). So it could also be good to sample less notes in the lower range and every second or every note in the higher range.
    I guess not everybody like it but i often like large multi-layered samples with lots of effects baked in which would kill every cpu otherwise. Sometimes a huge baked in reverb can also sound really good since it does not get so muddy if you play large chords etc.
    Can´t wait to start something..... :D

• Does NS2 read loop points or so?

Yes it does. And you can adjust them in build in editor.

• @dendy said:

Does NS2 read loop points or so?

Yes it does. And you can adjust them in build in editor.

Nice. Thank you. Oh and must it be wav. or could it also be aiff or something else?

• edited October 30

Hm not sure if Aiff is supported but i think yes.. anyway NS is not capable of handling multiple loop points (eg. slices) from Aiff, it supports just single loop (in NS terminology it's called "sustain loop")

Oh and one tip - try load ANY sample - even some arpeggio loop or melody - and then change looping type from standard to "spectral loop" ;) This is totally unique thing ;)

it's great for creating ambient pads but also for resynthesizing hihats or simply creating "perfect loop" from unloopable sample :)

• I will try....

• edited October 30

Sorry but is the spectral loop setting the circle (the 2 arrows)?
    I read the manual but i guess my english needs some new lessons. So there are 3 options to loop?
    Lol, dumb noob questions but i´m getting too old for this stuff ha.
    Edit: Uh, i figured it out. Everything good! :) Easy :D (And aiff is supported of course too, i prefer it because of the Mainstage Autosampler use it).

• edited October 31

...uups.