new to NS2- question about Slate effects

How can I apply an effect to only one drum pad at only one point in my time line? For example, I have a slate track which includes a bass drum, snare and hi hat. I want to eq the hi hat pad at one particular point on the timeline but not affect the other pads.

I've watched the "Send FX Track Setup" blip video- helpful, but it applies the whole track not a particular pad.

Any practical advice for a noob would be appreciated!

Comments

  • @LeesKeys said:
    How can I apply an effect to only one drum pad at only one point in my time line? For example, I have a slate track which includes a bass drum, snare and hi hat. I want to eq the hi hat pad at one particular point on the timeline but not affect the other pads.

    I've watched the "Send FX Track Setup" blip video- helpful, but it applies the whole track not a particular pad.

    Any practical advice for a noob would be appreciated!

    Most direct way IMO - make a unique HH track and do what you will with it.

  • you have also 4 FX busses inside slate - you can assign every pad to one of those 4 busses... every bus has EQ, Filter, Compressor and 2 sends into internal Slate sends (reverb and delay)
    Also every pad has it's own Filter / Overdrive unit.

    With this you can do pretty complex drum kit.

    Here more detailed info about Slate's FX busses
    https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/nanostudio2/user-manual/Slate.html#fx-bus

  • Thanks, that's helpful. So to make a EQ change in the hi-hat in only one place on the time line- that would involve using automation? In this case, I'm doing it after the fact, because the track has already been laid down

  • edited October 28

    hm... not sure that i understand but short overview about automation:

    you can automate volume, reverb send, delay send, filter cuttof and filter resonance on Slate's build in busses:

    This is clip-level automation, so it's saved inside clip which contains also notes of pads

    IF you want add more complex automation, then you need to use different approach, like @anickt mentioned - create more Slate instances and use for example just hihats from one instance , snares on other instances, and so on .. this way every Slate will have own mixer channel and you can put at this channel as much insert FXs as you want ...

    You can copy existing recorded clip with notes to another slate instances, and delete other recorded notes, so it's not that much work to split one clip containing kick, snare, hihats to 3 clips one with kick, one with snares, one for hihats, and put every one to it's Slate channel in sequencer ..

    Just bear in mind that automation of INSERT FXs is song level automation instead of clip level automation - it is not part of clip, it is part of whole timeline .. more about automation here :

    https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/nanostudio2/user-manual/AutomationEditor.html

    Last info - most of NS build in insert FX are possible to automate, but not EQ-3B .. if you want to automate some EQ band, use "Stereo Filter" insert FX instead of EQ-3B - "Stereo Filter" contains all equalisation modes from EQ-3B (hp, bp, lp, peak, ... ) but it is possible to automate most of it's parameters...

  • Thank you. Very helpful. Gradually wrapping my brain around it... :)

  • @dendy said:
    hm... not sure that i understand but short overview about automation:

    you can automate volume, reverb send, delay send, filter cuttof and filter resonance on Slate's build in busses:

    This is clip-level automation, so it's saved inside clip which contains also notes of pads

    IF you want add more complex automation, then you need to use different approach, like @anickt mentioned - create more Slate instances and use for example just hihats from one instance , snares on other instances, and so on .. this way every Slate will have own mixer channel and you can put at this channel as much insert FXs as you want ...

    You can copy existing recorded clip with notes to another slate instances, and delete other recorded notes, so it's not that much work to split one clip containing kick, snare, hihats to 3 clips one with kick, one with snares, one for hihats, and put every one to it's Slate channel in sequencer ..

    Just bear in mind that automation of INSERT FXs is song level automation instead of clip level automation - it is not part of clip, it is part of whole timeline .. more about automation here :

    https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/nanostudio2/user-manual/AutomationEditor.html

    Last info - most of NS build in insert FX are possible to automate, but not EQ-3B .. if you want to automate some EQ band, use "Stereo Filter" insert FX instead of EQ-3B - "Stereo Filter" contains all equalisation modes from EQ-3B (hp, bp, lp, peak, ... ) but it is possible to automate most of it's parameters...

    Good input @dendy NS2 has “something for everyone”! That’s what makes it so great. Song level automation really clicks with me so I use it a lot. It would be nice if it could be locked to a clip so it would follow if you move the associated clip, but not a game changer for me.

    It’s nice that you can see the timeline clips in the automation editor but it would be nice if they were easier to see! I’ve mentioned these contrast issues in the UI before. This is actually one of the biggest. It’s so easy to add, remove and move automation key frames it would be perfect if it was easier to see the structure of the timeline behind them. It’s there but it’s often too hard to see. 😎

  • It’s so easy to add, remove and move automation key frames it would be perfect if it was easier to see the structure of the timeline behind them. It’s there but it’s often too hard to see. 😎

    I agree

  • edited October 28

    @LeesKeys said:
    Thanks, that's helpful. So to make a EQ change in the hi-hat in only one place on the time line- that would involve using automation? In this case, I'm doing it after the fact, because the track has already been laid down

    For these sorts of different-version-of-an-existing drum sound type effects, I find it's easiest to copy the pad to an unused slot, adjust the sound/fx/sends/whatever and trigger that MIDI note instead of the main one.

  • Great idea!

  • @anickt
    It would be nice if it could be locked to a clip so it would follow if you move the associated clip, but not a game changer for me.

    Loot at this: :-)

  • @dendy said:

    @anickt
    It would be nice if it could be locked to a clip so it would follow if you move the associated clip, but not a game changer for me.

    Loot at this: :-)

    I thought it had been mentioned before but it never hurts to squeak!

Sign In or Register to comment.