Old NS1 tracks - a trip down memory lane......

Something for the Nanostudio "old timers"....

As a little UK Lockdown 2.0 side project I decided to try giving a bit of extra polish to my earliest Nanostudio tracks - some of which were made in NS1.13 on an iPod Touch back in 2011. I'm actually rather impressed with how that old 6 track NS1 (4 x Eden synths + 2 x TRG) sounds even now - and how by swapping the sound on a track you could squeeze a little bit extra out of it.

I'm exporting the mixer tracks then importing them to Ableton, chopping them up a little so they kind of match the structure of the NS project and going from there. The aim isn't really to add anything new or substantial - just EQ, compression, maybe a bit of chorus here and there, and of course higher quality delay/reverb - and see what skills I have learnt in the last 9 years that can be applied.

It really weird seeing that little Windows version of NS1.13 open at the same time as Ableton. [I would be really happy if Matt could someday release a VST version of Eden - I still think that little, old, primitive synth has a certain "personality" that holds its own even now.]

I kept the Windows downloads of all the different NS1 version "just in case" - and I'm glad I did as there was a change after NS 1.1.3 that changed how some of the Arp patches worked - the original release only had 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, & 1/6 time divisions in the LFO sync options, whereas the later versions introduced 1/3 & 1/6 divisions as well - and this stuffed up some of the sounds I relied heavily on in those early tracks.

Comments

• +1 on the "personality" of Eden. Absolutely true!

• @kitejan said:
    I kept the Windows downloads of all the different NS1 version "just in case" - and I'm glad I did as there was a change after NS 1.1.3 that changed how some of the Arp patches worked - the original release only had 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, & 1/6 time divisions in the LFO sync options, whereas the later versions introduced 1/3 & 1/6 divisions as well - and this stuffed up some of the sounds I relied heavily on in those early tracks.

Oh, I remember that change, probably the most heatedly contested one because it was the wobble-heads like me who wanted the 1/3 & 1/6 divisions but it badly messed up the time modulation. Then we had to come up with creative math based automation to get around the issue. It was an annoying tradeoff, one great feature for another great feature.