Any suggestions for upgrading from Nanostudio?

edited December 2018 in General chat

MOD EDIT:

This is spam. Do not bother reading it!

Kept around for a bit because it's creepy. See below for creep details.

Hey guys, first time posting in but I figured this was probably the best place to ask.

I've been using Nanostudio for a few years now (first on my old iPod Touch and these days on the iPad) and while I still enjoy using it, I'm getting stuck in a rut - now is probably the time to branch out and try some new apps.

What would you guys recommend? Ideally I'm looking for a DAW, but feel free to submit instruments/effects etc which you rate highly.

I'd really like something that's designed for both recording and live performance, ideally with some kind of loop function for external input through a guitar interface (Loopy HD is too glitchy and unreliable in my experience).

I'm using a 1st generation iPad mini 64GB - still using iOS7 as I've heard iOS8 is basically radioactive cyanide for music apps.

Any advice you can give is most appreciated!

Comments

• that device is basically no-go for NS2 :( You need at least iPad Mini 2, running iOS11, to be able run NS2.

• Tried Caustic? Not sure what the iOS requirements on it are though.

• Sunvox is quite powerful, but not easy to get around in. It does allow for live recording and looping. It might also not be very suited to live use. It’s got a lot of capability, though.

Caustic is good, as Devvy mentioned, but not great for looping, in my experience.

GarageBand could be good, if you can get the version that will run on iOS7. Especially if you’re using a guitar input.

If none of those work for you, Nanostudio 1 is probably your best option.

• Caustic is good

One thing about Caustic. Wondering that almost nobody is aware of this, i reported it back when Caustic 3 was first time released on iOS, bit it is STILL not fixed.

Envelope and LFO modulation is done completely wrong in almost all Causic synths. At least where i tried it (Subsynth, Bassline, Sawsynth).

If you set Env or Lfo > Cutoff modulation .. then actiually cutoff itsef does same thing which "AMOUNT" knob does in all other synths. If mod amout it set to 100% and cuttof to zero, you should hear maximum envelope of applied - but you don't hear anything, sound is completely filtered.. if you move cuttov to 100%, you hear same thing, which you hear in all other synths in situation that you set amount 100% and cuttof to 0 (fully applied envelope or LFO)

Completely wrong if you want to some serious sound design, of course if you want do just some random tweaks, and you even don't know what you are doing at all, it's not issue. But on other side you get bad habit from this and theyou you will be in troubles in other apps, which have implemented it properly.

Something like that is also in BM2 (which is also option for that iPad MINI 1, i did lot tracks with BM2 on iPad mini 1 !), althought a bit different (when LFO/ENV was set to modulate filter, cutoff stoped doing anything at all :)) Reported this too years ago, but this bug is actually still there :lol:

• @dendy said:

Caustic is good

One thing about Caustic. Wondering that almost nobody is aware of this, i reported it back when Caustic 3 was first time released on iOS, bit it is STILL not fixed.

Envelope and LFO modulation is done completely wrong in almost all Causic synths. At least where i tried it (Subsynth, Bassline, Sawsynth).

If you set Env or Lfo > Cutoff modulation .. then actiually cutoff itsef does same thing which "AMOUNT" knob does in all other synths. If mod amout it set to 100% and cuttof to zero, you should hear maximum envelope of applied - but you don't hear anything, sound is completely filtered.. if you move cuttov to 100%, you hear same thing, which you hear in all other synths in situation that you set amount 100% and cuttof to 0 (fully applied envelope or LFO)

Completely wrong if you want to some serious sound design, of course if you want do just some random tweaks, and you even don't know what you are doing at all, it's not issue. But on other side you get bad habit from this and theyou you will be in troubles in other apps, which have implemented it properly.

Something like that is also in BM2 (which is also option for that iPad MINI 1, i did lot tracks with BM2 on iPad mini 1 !), althought a bit different (when LFO/ENV was set to modulate filter, cutoff stoped doing anything at all :)) Reported this too years ago, but this bug is actually still there :lol:

Caustic is a little quirky but IMHO gives you the most bang for the buck on iOS as it is the most complete all-in-one on iOS. Caustic and NS1 were always my top two iOS music apps due to workflow and results. Until last Friday! So to the OP, I’d definitely say look at Caustic. The devs tutorials on YouTube are a great example of how tutorials should be done.

• Caustic actually has a number of 'easter-eggs' built into it, not only an insanely quirky SN76477-type 8-bit sound effects synthesiser, but also one of the best sample editors available on iOS. I use it for that feature alone.

• @Michaeljones said:
    Hey guys, first time posting in but I figured this was probably the best place to ask.

I've been using Nanostudio for a few years now (first on my old iPod Touch and these days on the iPad) and while I still enjoy using it, I'm getting stuck in a rut - now is probably the time to branch out and try some new apps.

What would you guys recommend? Ideally I'm looking for a DAW, but feel free to submit instruments/effects etc which you rate highly.

I'd really like something that's designed for both recording and live performance, ideally with some kind of loop function for external input through a guitar interface (Loopy HD is too glitchy and unreliable in my experience).

I'm using a 1st generation iPad mini 64GB - still using iOS7 as I've heard iOS8 is basically radioactive cyanide for music apps.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. You already know NS1, so to mix things up just experiment in other synth/drum/fx apps to create new sounds to spark the creativity. NS2 wasn’t meant for live looping performance, but it can be done. Check out some YouTube vids from ANI.

• edited December 2018

@Michaeljones said:

Thank you everyone

[spam links deleted] [spam links deleted]

• edited December 2018

Holy insidious spam bots! MJ is now banned and I've removed the spammy links but leaving the content so that you can be freaked out while reading this from four years ago:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ipadmusic/comments/2my4vg/any_suggestions_for_upgrading_from_nanostudio/

• :open_mouth:

Now, this is a bit scary. This is really really really smart. Few years from now, those spam bots will even buy NS, create some tracks and post them to songs thread . And it will be great music.

• We’re doomed!

• Uhh... fooled me. Why would someone do that? Makes no sense really.

• @SlapHappy

There was second post from that thing with links to some scam shit.

• Ah, OK. That I understand. A scam. I get it now. I hate it more because of the scam, but I understand.
    Thanks dendy! (one of my favorite sayings)

• @dendy said:
    :open_mouth:

Now, this is a bit scary. This is really really really smart.

Indeed to both. Hate to admit it but I'd be interested to see the code behind this. I'm guessing it's something like find a forum, make a login, crawl the content for keywords, go to reddit (etc) and find content with similar keywords, go and make a post on the forum, wait some amount of time and post a reply with the spammy links.

Or maybe it's a human getting paid per impression.

• edited December 2018

If it's not humand behind, then i'll bet its AI.

Machine learning already works pretty well
    in understanding of texts and matching texts which are somehow related.

In our company we use AI for parsing and extracting datsa from all kinds of CVs in PDF, DOCX snd other formats. It extracts meaningful data about candidates to match them automatically with job offers...

This thing is miracle. Like magic, really. No matter how crappy chaotic unstructured CV file is,it extracts all important data, in no time, with just minumum
    erors)

• I’m pretty upset about this. Thought I’d made a friend with MJ. 😢