Studio Drums IAP won't install

Hi, I bought the new Studio Drums IAP a couple of days ago but try as I might I cannot get it to install. Bought 6th Aug (I have the Apple receipt email). When I try to install it fails with message like "Studio Drums: PURCHASE FAILED mzafbenc.[long number] couldn't be m...cause an item with the same name already exists." Any thoughts how to fix this?

Comments

  • Let’s start with the basics: fully quit all apps from the task switcher and restart your device. Does it still give the same error message?

  • Hi, yes, have fully restarted a couple of times with all apps closed fully, same result. On iOS 14.7.1 on an iPad Pro 10.5 (2017). Message is still exactly the same.

    If I nose around looking for “mzafbenc” I can find the following Apple Dev forum discussion which to my untrained eye looks as though it could be at least partly related - the “m..” bit could be a truncated “could not be moved”.

    https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/656360

    However, I’m not an iOS dev so that could be a red herring.

  • edited August 12

    I’ll report this to Matt and include your link. Usually problems with IAPs are in Apple’s court, but it doesn’t hurt to ask. If you’re getting near to the 2 week mark from purchase, I suggest you get a refund now so you don’t get stuck with a non-functional purchase.

    If you feel like you want to try the ultimate solution, reinstalling NS would presumably get rid of any partial IAP installation that could be gumming up the works.

    Backing up your work is easiest to do by using the Files app, making zip files of your NS folders and moving them out of the NS main folder. Or you can use webdav, but that’s been hit and miss for me.

  • @junkbandman said:
    Hi, yes, have fully restarted a couple of times with all apps closed fully, same result. On iOS 14.7.1 on an iPad Pro 10.5 (2017). Message is still exactly the same.

    If I nose around looking for “mzafbenc” I can find the following Apple Dev forum discussion which to my untrained eye looks as though it could be at least partly related - the “m..” bit could be a truncated “could not be moved”.

    https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/656360

    However, I’m not an iOS dev so that could be a red herring.

    Sorry to hear you've got problems with this. Ironically I'm involved in 50% of the Apple Developer discussion you linked (my user name's 'futile' as it's the word I most associate with trying to solve problems via the Apple Developer forums).

    The problem as I see it is this:

    1. iOS starts downloading the IAP content
    2. At some point, a second download is initiated (there are a number of reasons for why this can happen, such as closing the app whilst a download is in progress, temporarily losing the connection etc).
    3. When the second download is finished, it finds that the first download has already completed and saved the file. The second download (and all subsequent downloads) all then fail because the file's already there.

    It's stupid I know. I've had it occur once during development but never in the App Store version up until now. The only solutions I can suggest are:

    1. Leave it for a few days. iOS may clear up the file on the basis it's been unused for some time.
    2. Uninstall the app, re-install and restore purchases. This will force iOS to clear up this file, but you'll must to back up all your files (user projects, sanmples etc.) and re-instate them (eg. via WebDAV or the Files app)
    3. Get a refund on the Studio Drums IAP and give up on the idea.

    Sorry, I appreciate that none of these are ideal solutions but they're the only workarounds I've found to date (this problem started in iOS 14).

  • my user name's 'futile' as it's the word I most associate with trying to solve problems via the Apple Developer forums)

    🤣😂

  • @Stiksi said:
    If you feel like you want to try the ultimate solution, reinstalling NS would presumably get rid of any partial IAP installation that could be gumming up the works.

    Backing up your work is easiest to do by using the Files app, making zip files of your NS folders and moving them out of the NS main folder. Or you can use webdav, but that’s been hit and miss for me.

    Hi, my apologies for not responding earlier but have been swamped at work and frankly forgot I had raised this. Just remembered today that I had raised the issue, and have followed your suggestion including the backup. Restoring the backup was a bit of a faff (iOS didn’t want to uncompress to the original folder) but managed it eventually, but deleting the app and reinstalling appears to have fixed it - all purchases including the Studio Drums installed successfully.

    Thanks for your help

  • @junkbandman said:

    @Stiksi said:
    If you feel like you want to try the ultimate solution, reinstalling NS would presumably get rid of any partial IAP installation that could be gumming up the works.

    Backing up your work is easiest to do by using the Files app, making zip files of your NS folders and moving them out of the NS main folder. Or you can use webdav, but that’s been hit and miss for me.

    Hi, my apologies for not responding earlier but have been swamped at work and frankly forgot I had raised this. Just remembered today that I had raised the issue, and have followed your suggestion including the backup. Restoring the backup was a bit of a faff (iOS didn’t want to uncompress to the original folder) but managed it eventually, but deleting the app and reinstalling appears to have fixed it - all purchases including the Studio Drums installed successfully.

    Thanks for your help

    Excellent! Thanks for the update 🙂

Sign In or Register to comment.