FR: convert stereo/mono, save selection as new sample

2»

Comments

• @anickt said:

@colonel_mustard said:

@anickt said:

I was thinking a single tap path. ;)

Not sure I understand this. Double-tapping a sample file to open the editor works well for me, but it sounds like you want to open an empty editor maybe? or is it a library shortcut you're after?

I'm loving the file system btw.

Say I have some raw samples I want to edit. 1 tap to open the editor. One or 2 taps to import a sample (say from Dropbox or AS). I always compare NS to Caustic since I think they’re the best apps for getting things done on iOS. Since NS2 covers most of what Caustic does and then some, I’m just looking at features/workflow that Caustic has that might be nice to have in NS2. Mostly small stuff but it adds up. Caustic wave editor is the best IMHO.

I expect Mr Blip will take an interest wherever people run into friction. If you’re finding imports clunky etc.

I didn’t run into any issues, although I was quite satisfied with sending files and folders to the inbox then filing them away, so it wasn’t much of a stress test. Now I’ve all but moved out of AudioShare (to avoid doubles) and everything’s neat and tidy, which feels great.

• @drez said:

@Will said:
    Big plus 1 to the general notion of "As a user, I want to define a region of this audio file to be used elsewhere and I don't want to leave the sample editor to do it so that I can continue defining regions to be used elsewhere". It's like, "As a chef, I do not want to add each slice of this carrot to the salad bowl before I create a new slice."

You wrote that exactly like a story in the agile methodology (scrum)... As a...I want (need) blah...so that....

... when the day job reveals itself. ;)

• @dendy said:
    Currently just using Settings > Files > Manage audio files

from this browser you can edit any audio file and also import files from Dropbox, AudioShare or your iTunes music library.

Where / how in Nanostudio's UI would you imagine this "one tap" access ? How do you imagine it should work ?

Currently when I open NS2 it opens with the last project I was working on. In order to access audio files to open them in the sample editor it takes 5 taps to get to the sample and then double tap on it to open it in the editor. Seems to me that’s not the Blip approach to things compared to the quick access to everything else. I also wondered how this ended up under Settings. Again, not very intuitive. I would think the path should be: Home > Sample Editor. Inside of Sample Editor would be standard Load/Save/Save As options. This would be so much more simple and direct. I have mentioned the way Caustic handles sample editing. It’s way better than most other apps. Everything is “right there”.

• @anickt I think i unerstand now.. you want have somewhere direct access to audio editor .. without opening it through "sample" button in Obsidian / Wave or ouble tapping on "some" file.

But where you would put such button ? On what screeen ? Any suggestions, ideas where in UI it would be logic to put button for direct access to audio editor ?

• @dendy said:
    @anickt I think i unerstand now.. you want have somewhere direct access to audio editor .. without opening it through "sample" button in Obsidian / Wave or ouble tapping on "some" file.

But where you would put such button ? On what screeen ? Any suggestions, ideas where in UI it would be logic to put button for direct access to audio editor ?

See the last few sentences of my post.

• @anickt said:

@dendy said:

from this browser you can edit any audio file and also import files from Dropbox, AudioShare or your iTunes music library.

Where / how in Nanostudio's UI would you imagine this "one tap" access ? How do you imagine it should work ?

Currently when I open NS2 it opens with the last project I was working on. In order to access audio files to open them in the sample editor it takes 5 taps to get to the sample and then double tap on it to open it in the editor. Seems to me that’s not the Blip approach to things compared to the quick access to everything else. I also wondered how this ended up under Settings. Again, not very intuitive. I would think the path should be: Home > Sample Editor. Inside of Sample Editor would be standard Load/Save/Save As options. This would be so much more simple and direct. I have mentioned the way Caustic handles sample editing. It’s way better than most other apps. Everything is “right there”.

Maybe elevating "Files" from Home -> Settings -> Files directly to Home -> Files (just above help in the screenshot below) would help reduce a tap here? Seems to me you'd have to go about the file system taps either way.

• @Will said:

@anickt said:

@dendy said:

Maybe elevating "Files" from Home -> Settings -> Files directly to Home -> Files (just above help in the screenshot below) would help reduce a tap here? Seems to me you'd have to go about the file system taps either way.

True. How about just Home > Audio Files. After shifting my perspective a bit, I think that would work. I may have been thinking of a more complex solution than necessary.

• Top level links in Home to the files would definitely be welcome.

• @Stiksi said:
    Top level links in Home to the files would definitely be welcome.

Yep. Especially since NS2 basically replaces Audioshare for me (other than the occasional AB capture).

@anickt said:
    True. How about just Home > Audio Files. After shifting my perspective a bit, I think that would work. I may have been thinking of a more complex solution than necessary.

I'd be 100% up for that. I do use/save/load MIDI files but reality is almost all of my interaction is with audio files. That might be samples or it might be mix-downs but yeah, it's most often audio files.

Home -> Settings -> Files -> could remain as it is now (access to both). First screen would just be a shortcut.

• +1 shortcut