Audiolayer au in NS2 sound issues

Has anyone successfully managed to use audiolayer in NS2? When I load up the auv3, any sound from the instrument is incredibly distorted. Most other au plugins work fine, but for some reasons audiolayer seems to be unusable with this issue. Not a fault of NS2 persay, but rather I’m trying to guage if anyone else has had the same issue.

Comments

• Yes I use it and it works fine most of the time. However I’ve also had this distortion issue you’re speaking of happen too. I don’t know what caused It but I was running a complex session with an audio interface, computer and iPad with the iPad at the center point of sequencing in NS2 when it occured. I think it may have been sample rate related. Maybe try closing out every other app and making sure your sample rates are cohesive

• edited January 2019

hm that is strange..

except of problems with higer sample rate (as i mentioned on AB forums, AudioLayer doesn't work properly if host app switches to higher sample rate than 44khz - eg mixdown to 96khz for example) everything works fine for me..

testing AudioLayer and until i do not try export project in >44khz sample rate it is perfect, no issues, all samples played correctly

What iPad / iOS version do you have ? What samples (sample rate / bit rate) you are using ? Do you use some external soundcard ? Any other audio app running together with NS2 ?

• thank you for the reply, I put up a video of the experience.

running as an AU in nanostudio using the stock presets from audiolayer
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/4rnsd73he9higk9/Video 2019-01-25 7 25 55.mov?dl=0

running the same marimba patch in the audiolayer standalone
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/t1140jkwrjydvtw/Video 2019-01-25 7 27 12.mov?dl=0

given this happens even with the stock presets, I imagine it cant be a sample rate issue. I don't see any place to adjust sample rate settings for either nanostudio or audiolayer. I'm on a 2018 iPad pro 12.9 inch, 1TB model. If its just my system, thats unfortunate..

• edited January 2019

thanks for additional info, will
    do some more tests and let you know...

What version of iOS do you have ? There was issue with audio dropouts with some AU plugins on 2018 iPad Pros which was fixed in latest iOS 12.1.3, sny chsnce you didn't updated yet ?

• Thanks. I am on 12.1.3

I actually just cycled through other AUs, and looks like i have the same issue with most of Virsyn's auv3 plugins. MicroTERA, Audiolayer and reslice all have this distortion when trying to play within nanostudio. I thought perhaps they were just peaking, but even after trying to adjust the volume on the au within its internal settings, the sound is still distorted. Its strange to hear no one else has had the same issue.

• Also with ElliottGarage's WaveSHAPER, BeepStreets's Sunrise (but not a problem with the same developer's Zeeon app)

• edited January 2019

Now this is starting to be really strange ! I have most of that plugins and never had such issues.. (but i have old iPad AIR 1)

(btw meanwhike i tried some factory sounds in AudioLayer - Flute and others - everything perfect clear)

I have one more question - can you please check cpu load meter during audiolayer is playing ? Just go to "Settings" page in NS, at bottom is CPU meter.. what load it shows when you hear that distorted sounds from audiolayer ?

Additionaly-check please on same page where is audio meter also "buffer settings". It is on "low" or "very low" ? Try change it on "medium" or "high" ...

• never exceeds more than about 13% CPU. Tried all 4 buffer settings to no change. https://www.dropbox.com/s/j1dcpkbmrq1lapo/Video 2019-01-25 8 54 57.mov?dl=0

• FWIW - I use ReSlice regularly in NS2 with no issues. Air 1 on iOS 12.1.3
    I don’t do any special. Just load it up and it works.

• PS - isn’t there an issue with that particular iPad Pro and 48 kHz sample rate?

• @anickt said:
    PS - isn’t there an issue with that particular iPad Pro and 48 kHz sample rate?

indeed that may be the issue. It seems like new iPad pros are default to 48k, and cannot be switched to other sample rates. Audiolayer and other apps worked fine in cubasis, but I found that I cannot actually change the sample rate in cubasis to anything other than 48k. I imagine this means that from app to app, if there is a discrepancy in sample rates it will end up like this. Is there any possibility of 48kHz support moving forward for nanostudio?

• edited January 2019

Hm.. did a bit googling.. i found some discussions but people reported having this issue just on build in speaker ... tested it on my iPhone 6S (which is first device affected by this issue) and reproduced your issue.

As soon as i start nanostudio on my iPhone 6S with just extrnal speaker, ReSlice, AudioLayer and other plugins crackles.. no matter if i then connect headphones, it stays breaked .. BUT if you run nanostudio with headphones - it is OK. After i disconnect headphones it breaks again.

Is it same on your PRO, or it is not working also with headphones ?

• @dendy said:
    Hm.. did a bit googling.. i found some discussions but people reported having this issue just on build in speaker ... tested it on my iPhone 6S (which is first device affected by this issue) and reproduced your issue.

As soon as i start nanostudio on my iPhone 6S with just extrnal speaker, ReSlice, AudioLayer and other plugins crackles.. no matter if i then connect headphones, it stays breaked .. BUT if you run nanostudio with headphones - it is OK. After i disconnect headphones it breaks again.

Is it same on your PRO, or it is not working also with headphones ?

Seems this does not fix it on the ipad. Since there is no headphone jack anymore on the new iPads and iPhones the only options are through lightning or usb-c connectors, or the wireless alternative of Bluetooth. For the iPad Pro, I tried Bluetooth connection, as well as a wired connection via a USB-C hub adaptor, but the sample rate problem is still the same. It seems there is no way to force the new ipad to use anything other than 48kHz sample rate.

• Interesting info keeps coming in. So I attempted to create a new session in Auria Pro since it allows you to select sample rate. It appears, that off the three options, (44.1kHZ, 48kHz, and 96kHz) 44.1 is the only one that the system says I cannot select because some application in the background is in running at a conflicting sample rate. Even though I am not running any other applications, something in the background seems to conflict. Back with Cubasis, It defaults to 48, and will not let me select 44.1 or 96. I wonder if this issue in nanostudio is the result of apps/AU plugins that cannot match the 44.1 sample rate once engaged?

• cool, looks we analysed it down to very core of this issue.. thanks for cooperation while investigating this, will notify Matt about this issue ..

• Thank you for the help. In all honesty, other than AU FX this really just reminds me of why it’s been better to focus on importing a number of my libraries from my computer into obsidian. Audiolayer’s exs Import is a great idea, but it takes so much longer than just batch loading samples into obsidian and recreating the sounds I want. Nanostudio is a killer self contained system that makes everything else feel obsolete. Once audio track recordings are in, there are only a few things i’d love to see added, but really I could still manage without as it is. I would say related to this issue, if 44.1kHz and 96kHz support is possible, it’d Be great to have that from a realistic production standpoint.

• NanoStudio currently runs the real-time project at 44.1kHz, and then resamples to the hardware's actual rate if necessary. The hardware rate is typically 48kHz on newer devices, but it may change depending upon the output device (eg. headphones vs. speaker).

NanoStudio is capable of running the project at other rates but right now I only use that for mixdowns - in future I'll probably add options for real-time, but that's a different topic.

I will need to investigate more, but it sounds like the AU plugins which have this problem are not implemented correctly. They should use the sample rate specified by the host, not the current iOS hardware rate - otherwise, the host can't mixdown the project at sample rates which are different to the hardware's current sample rate.

My guess is that the AUs which exhibit this problem also won't mixdown correctly unless the mixdown is set to the same as the current hardware rate.

• edited March 2019

Sorry to resurrect and old thread but I experienced this problem today too.

Got a new 2018 iPad Pro 12.9 yesterday. Purchased NanoStudio 2 today. Woo. I’m still running iOS 10 on my iPad Air and that will always stay on that way for NanoStudio 1. So I saved up enough for a new pro pretty much so I could run NS2 on it.

So I launched it NS2 and tried out Moog Model D, Model 15 and Sunrizer AUs and through the speakers and they distort. Then plugged in my Apogee Duet for iPad and Mac audio interface and the audio units play perfectly with no distortion.

So I’m guessing the audio interface forces the AUs and NanoStudio to all use the same sample rate. No idea what sample rate the duet is using though.

Right time to get back to playing with NS2.

I’m running iOS 12.1.4