Way to limit MIDI velocity or pitch bend range?

edited March 2019 in Support

Hi. Is there a way to limit the input velocity and pitch bend range to Obsidian on a per patch basis? Or per track basis? Thanks.

Comments

• You can control pitch bend range from the MOD/FX screen, "Pitch Wheel, Osc All: Coarse". You can add velocity bindings by setting Source: Key -> Velocity , and edit their strength. But I haven't found a way to stop velocity from affecting Amp. I'm sure @dendy will scoff and set me straight in a second :D

• edited March 2019

@Stiksi
    You can control pitch bend range from the MOD/FX screen, "Pitch Wheel, Osc All: Coarse"

yeah, and the "amount" value means semitones. default value 2 means that pitchbend moves up/down +/- 2 semitones.. if you want pitch for example octave up / down, change value to 12

But I haven't found a way to stop velocity from affecting Amp.
    ** I'm sure @dendy will scoff and set me straight in a second **

Yeah.. you're 100% right :))

Just switch to "scaling" in amp envelope screen and set both those knobs to zero

• first one is how much velocity is applied to volume
    • second one how much note is applied to volume

This is very powerfull thing because you can scale level (eg sustain) ot time (eg. atrack, decay, release) using velocity and/or key on ALL envelopes (not just AMP) withou need of usingbmod matrix.

@Stiksi
    You can add velocity bindings by setting Source: Key -> Velocity , and edit their strength.

You don't need to fo this as mod matrix slot, that's the "key" knob in screenshot above ;)

@aviavi
    Is there a way to limit the input velocity

Hm, if i think more about this question - this isn't about disabling velocity -> volume mapping, but probably more about limiting maximal accepted velocity value from keyboard ?

I mean.. leat say if we set limit velocity to 100, all velocities under 100 are processed unchanged, all velocities abouve 100 are set to exactly 100.

Did i correctly understand question ? In case i did, then this is not possible currently, it will be possible from next NS update using some AUfx midi plugin, but can remember which one, i'm sure i saw it somewhere (it's basicaly like limiter but not for audio but for midi data).

• @dendy said:

But I haven't found a way to stop velocity from affecting Amp.
    ** I'm sure @dendy will scoff and set me straight in a second **

Yeah.. you're 100% right :))

Just switch to "scaling" in amp envelope screen and set both those knobs to zero

Ok, that was… not obvious at all, but thanks!