Your Journey With Nanostudio 2 Thus Far?

2»

Comments

• edited August 10

My opinion is that most of the Gadget synths are basically preset boxes which do the one or two things they do spectacularly well but they don’t really go outside their bread and butter sound.

don't think so.. there are few pretty powerfull synths.. don't forget polysix, mono/poly, waveststion, oddysei, ms20.. and now electribe wave inside gadget ... there is lot synths inside with actually more modulation posibilities than half of AU plugins..

of course there is no such allrouder like Obsidian with 5 lfos, 5 envelopes, advanced multifilter and complex mod matrix - ,but still sonic range of Gadget synths sumed togother is almost endless...

• @dendy

@Stiksi said:
    The bigger ones that are gadgetized from separate apps might be much deeper, I haven’t bought them so I don’t know.

• The thing with any synth on iOS that’s a recreation of hardware is it’s NOT HARDWARE. So it’s nowhere near the same experience. I had a MonoPoly. Awesome synth as hardware. As an iOS synth it’s meh. Odyssey and several others the same.

You don’t access them the same way so you don’t get the same results and they’re just not as much fun. IMHO a synth built for specifically for iOS typically is a better experience.

The synths in Caustic are great. Obsidian folds pretty much all of those types of synths into one package that’s easy to use and sounds great.

Most sounds you hear from just about any iOS synth can be created in Obsidian.

• edited August 10

@SlapHappy said:
    @dendy

@Stiksi said:
    The bigger ones that are gadgetized from separate apps might be much deeper, I haven’t bought them so I don’t know.

uhm, sorry i need to read properly :-))

but also other synths which are gadget-only are quite good... Wolfsburg - 2 oscillators, 2lfos, 2envelopes, 4 slot modmatrix ... or Phoenix which is silently OBXd clone.. you can do a lot of sound design with most of them.. many analogue synths are not better equiped in terms of modulation capacity than most of Gadget synths ..

• edited August 10

@anickt said:
    The thing with any synth on iOS that’s a recreation of hardware is it’s NOT HARDWARE. So it’s nowhere near the same experience. I had a MonoPoly. Awesome synth as hardware. As an iOS synth it’s meh. Odyssey and several others the same.

You don’t access them the same way so you don’t get the same results and they’re just not as much fun. IMHO a synth built for specifically for iOS typically is a better experience.

The synths in Caustic are great. Obsidian folds pretty much all of those types of synths into one package that’s easy to use and sounds great.

Thanks for this post, I was foolishly debating whether to get the other 6 sound pack in app purchases that I don’t have for Obsidian while getting caught up in the latest thread on Audiobus forum about Gadget. I have more than enough of that and I immediately went back to Nanostudio to take advantage of the great sale!! Can’t wait to dive in and check out everything( I’m tired from grocery shopping right now so later looks good)
    Cheers🎹🎧👍

• @Arpseechord said:

@anickt said:
    The thing with any synth on iOS that’s a recreation of hardware is it’s NOT HARDWARE. So it’s nowhere near the same experience. I had a MonoPoly. Awesome synth as hardware. As an iOS synth it’s meh. Odyssey and several others the same.

Thanks for this post, I was foolishly debating whether to get the other 6 sound pack in app purchases that I don’t have for Obsidian while getting caught up in the latest thread on Audiobus forum about Gadget. I have more than enough of that and I immediately went back to Nanostudio to take advantage of the great sale!! Can’t wait to dive in and check out everything( I’m tired from grocery shopping right now so later looks good)
    Cheers🎹🎧👍

B)

• I’ve been making music on iOS for 6 years but never found a linear DAW I really liked—until NS2. I credit the streamlined UI and its wealth of creative shortcuts for presenting a fast and easy workflow like no other. I also appreciate having both great built-in devices AND auv3 support. NS2 has doubled my productivity, and I expect adding audio tracks will double it yet again.

• @le_filou Hey brother, glad to see you here! Always dig your jams with the OP-1 and Digitakt, really looking forward to hearing your iOS creations!

The first Nanostudio really clicked with me in 2010. The TRG was the perfect pocket drum machine and Eden was like a mini EPS16. The combination made for an extremely handy groovebox/workstation that could run on a 3rd gen iPod touch!

Nothing else has clicked with me quite like NS2 on iPad, however Group The Loop offers another type of workflow that scratches an itch too. I used NS2 heavily for Jamuary this year, which yielded an 11 track release. In February I recorded another 11 track release using it as well, this time incorporating more KQ Dixie. Currently I'm using NS2 as a groovebox essentially, making loops in GTL and occasionally making stems for use in MultitrackDAW or Cubasis2.
    Once NS2 has audio tracks things should get really interesting!