Sending Midi to Drum Session

Guys just exported a midi file to NS2 from Drum Session. I now want that midi file to trigger the Drum Session app via midi but does anyone know what I need to do to have Drum Session play as a sound module only?

Thanks!

Comments

• I don't know Drum Session but general steps would be something like:

1. Create a MIDI Instrument track to host the MIDI File
    2. If Drum Session has a virtual port, point the NS track at that port on the Setup page. You can set a specific channel here too
    3. Make sure Drum Session is listening on the correct MIDI channel
    4. Make sure background audio is on in Drum Session
    5. Cross fingers, hit play
  • It worked. Thanks Will!

At first it crashed Drum Session but that was because the channel sending the mid to DS was also receiving so it was Mayhem!

Once I disabled the midi input in NS2 it worked great!

I like this setup cause it allows me to hear different premise drum loops in DS like fills etc and build as I go and it’s so much easier to edit parts in NS2. Thanks !

@Will said:
    I don't know Drum Session but general steps would be something like:

1. Create a MIDI Instrument track to host the MIDI File
    2. If Drum Session has a virtual port, point the NS track at that port on the Setup page. You can set a specific channel here too
    3. Make sure Drum Session is listening on the correct MIDI channel
    4. Make sure background audio is on in Drum Session
    5. Cross fingers, hit play
  • One thing that I did notice though is that by playing an external midi app then I lose the mixer control to that app. I wonder if maybe I’m doing something wrong in the settings.

• @Tones4Christ said:
    One thing that I did notice though is that by playing an external midi app then I lose the mixer control to that app. I wonder if maybe I’m doing something wrong in the settings.

That’s to be expected (for any app, not just NS2). The mixer controls NS2’s audio only. There is no way it can control the volume of an app that is running outside it. Your options are to use the drum session volume controls or to load it in another host like AudioBus or AUM and use that host’s volume control. If you load NS2 in that host as well, then you can adjust relative volume between the two.

• @number37 said:

@Tones4Christ said:
    One thing that I did notice though is that by playing an external midi app then I lose the mixer control to that app. I wonder if maybe I’m doing something wrong in the settings.

That’s to be expected (for any app, not just NS2). The mixer controls NS2’s audio only. There is no way it can control the volume of an app that is running outside it. Your options are to use the drum session volume controls or to load it in another host like AudioBus or AUM and use that host’s volume control. If you load NS2 in that host as well, then you can adjust relative volume between the two.

Yep.

If Drum Session allows MIDI control over the in-app mixer, you could set up the Macros on the MIDI instrument track to control it via MIDI CCs. Or add a second MIDI Instrument track to control it if you're already using the Macros for other MIDI control tasks. Details here: https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/nanostudio2/user-manual/ExtMIDIInstrument.html#macro-tools