Oscillator phase reset on note on (retriger) in Obsidian

Hi, short question. Is oscillator phase reset with every new note? Is there any setting to switch such behavior on/off?

Best,
Jakub

Comments

• edited July 16

Yes, by default scillator is phase synced (eg every new voice starts with same phase) ..

You cannot disable oscillator phase "reset" (i guess you want to get continuous running oscillators like on old analog synths), but you can get basically same effect, if you force oscillator to start with random phase instead of phase synced.

To get random phase at start, you need to do little trick with mod matrix - just set mod source Key > Rand 1 and target Osc > Phase .. now every new note (or better every nev VOICE - so for example also if you enable unison that it is applied for every unison voice) starts with random phase ...

• @dendy said:
    To get random phase at start, you need to do little trick with mod matrix - just set mod source Key > Rand 1 and target Osc > Phase .. now every new note (or better every nev VOICE - so for example also if you enable unison that it is applied for every unison voice) starts with random phase ...

I have this routing in my default Obsidian patch, so it’s automatically on when I create a new Obsidian track. Super useful.

• Than you for your answer Dandy. I really like this approach. Cheers!

• In fact I wanted to try doing something just opposite - generic psytrance bass precisely tuned with the kick. I am not a keen of KBBB pattern, but i treat it as an exercise.

• ha psytrance, that's my area :-)

for this you actually need oscillator in it's default stage - phase synced.. use just single oscillstor - saw, 12LPA filter with a bit overdrive, apply filter envelope with low sstsin and short decay
    phase synced oscillator is better for basses, unsynced oscillators are better for leads and pads...

Additionally if you want something like "Zyce" bass which is more percussive, use for oscillator Wavetable > Complex > Hum with position knob all way to left (i made this waverable specially for this kind of bass, it's hidden gem for progressive psytrance bass :))

In factory check pathes "Bass Foundation" - that is classic fullon bass build with saw and "Bass Barista" which is zyce-like progressive percussive bass build with hum wavetable

• Thanks for the great tips!

• edited July 21

I am basing my kick od Psy kick 1, but can't figure out why every hit in tact sounds different, like not every control signal is resetting with the new note. In attachments "song" and exported kick patch if you Dendy have a moment to look at it, as I have no clue what is "animating" the kick, as every one instance should be the same.

Best!

• edited July 21

hard to explain.. this is deeper technical issue related to optimalisations .. it's caused by very short attack in combination with long buffer size..

Best way is to mixdown one hit and then load it as sample into Slate...

Btw i think when you mixdown sequence, it should be OK too, or at least there should be significanlty less instabilities in kick envelope.. anyway micdown one hit -> put it as sample to slate is always best way how to deal with percussive, and especially sharp kick sounds synthestised in Obsidian.

Another advantage is that in Slate you can again apply pitch envelope on that sample and shape it even more .. or load it back to Obsidian into sample oscillator and apply more pitch shaping there + layer it with sine on low octave for more low end..

That is how i actually created kick drums in "Trance 1" and "Trance 2" factory Slate drumkits - they are result of multiple resampling ;)

• Thanks for explanation