ICloud Files Sync

Now that we have iPhone support, I find myself having some trouble to move drafts to the iPad...

Comments

• edited November 2019

@rcarmo said:
    Now that we have iPhone support, I find myself having some trouble to move drafts to the iPad...

Can you be more specific what you are trying to do and how it is not working?

The easiest way to move projects around is to use the Project -> Archive command and then airdrop the resulting .NSA file to the other device.

• Yes, I would like NanoStudio to automatically sync projects across iOS devices using iCloud, just like GarageBand. Moving stuff about manually doesn't make much sense these days.

• @rcarmo said:
    Yes, I would like NanoStudio to automatically sync projects across iOS devices using iCloud, just like GarageBand. Moving stuff about manually doesn't make much sense these days.

The problem with this is that NS projects use links to samples, patches and kits. The files are only collected into the project folder during project export.

If NS collected all samples, kits and patches into the project folder for each project, NS’s disk space footprint would quickly balloon into truly magnificent numbers.

So, in short, this is necessary for space saving reasons.

• @Stiksi said:

@rcarmo said:
    Yes, I would like NanoStudio to automatically sync projects across iOS devices using iCloud, just like GarageBand. Moving stuff about manually doesn't make much sense these days.

The problem with this is that NS projects use links to samples, patches and kits. The files are only collected into the project folder during project export.

If NS collected all samples, kits and patches into the project folder for each project, NS’s disk space footprint would quickly balloon into truly magnificent numbers.

The user could optionally sync the Library folder across both devices though.

• @Will said:

@Stiksi said:

@rcarmo said:

The problem with that is iCloud is unpredictable about what it keeps locally and what it decides to keep only in the cloud. Get stuck without an Internet connection and you can find that files you need aren't available. There's no way to flag a file to be always on-device, and Apple is completely opaque about how and when it decides you don't care if that file is on your device or in the cloud.

AudioLayer implements iCloud storage, but really to use it practically for anything but small sample sets, and with an always available Internet connection, you need to opt for local storage only.

• You would need a project to be self-contained in order to do that effectively. > @number37 said:

@Will said:

@Stiksi said:

@rcarmo said:

The problem with that is iCloud is unpredictable about what it keeps locally and what it decides to keep only in the cloud. Get stuck without an Internet connection and you can find that files you need aren't available. There's no way to flag a file to be always on-device, and Apple is completely opaque about how and when it decides you don't care if that file is on your device or in the cloud.

AudioLayer implements iCloud storage, but really to use it practically for anything but small sample sets, and with an always available Internet connection, you need to opt for local storage only.

I don’t think it’s unpredictable at all. It depends on the app. If you go into settings you can set different destinations. But I believe apps don’t always support certain locations. For instance Pure Acid is set to iCloud on my iPad but only accesses On My iPad. The dev said his app doesn’t support iCloud storage. So the confusing thing is why is iCloud a choice if the app doesn’t support it and it won’t save there anyway? You’d think it would be grayed out. Most of my apps created their own folder in On My iPad but a handful use iCloud. I only use my iPad on wi-fi so not an issue for me either way.

• edited January 2020

@anickt said:
    You would need a project to be self-contained in order to do that effectively. > @number37 said:

@Will said:

@Stiksi said:

@rcarmo said:

If NS collected all samples, kits and patches into the project folder for each project, NS’s disk space footprint would ;) quickly balloon into truly magnificent numbers.

I don’t think it’s unpredictable at all. It depends on the app. If you go into settings you can set different destinations. But I believe apps don’t always support certain locations. For instance Pure Acid is set to iCloud on my iPad but only accesses On My iPad. The dev said his app doesn’t support iCloud storage. So the confusing thing is why is iCloud a choice if the app doesn’t support it and it won’t save there anyway? You’d think it would be grayed out. Most of my apps created their own folder in On My iPad but a handful use iCloud. I only use my iPad on wi-fi so not an issue for me either way.

Yes, you can set iCloud as the storage location for any app, but the app itself has to support using iCloud storage for that to do anything.

But that’s not what I was referring to. When an app does support iCloud storage, and files are stored there, there’s no control over whether those files remain present on the device while also in the cloud, or if they get shunted to the cloud only. Thus, you can end up with no local file and be required to download it before it’s available. If you don’t have an internet connection you can end up not having access to your samples until you do.

This is true for other apps as well. Books, for instance. I had planned on reading a few books on a camping trip, only to find that somewhere along the line Apple decided I would like to save the space on my device and would be happy to snag them from the cloud instead. The same was true for some of the AudioLayer and Gadget projects I checked out. I did spend a lot more time enjoying the outdoors that trip though. ;)

• @number37 said:

@anickt said:
    You would need a project to be self-contained in order to do that effectively. > @number37 said:

@Will said:

@Stiksi said:

@rcarmo said:

If NS collected all samples, kits and patches into the project folder for each project, NS’s disk space footprint would ;) quickly balloon into truly magnificent numbers.

Yes, you can set iCloud as the storage location for any app, but the app itself has to support using iCloud storage for that to do anything.

But that’s not what I was referring to. When an app does support iCloud storage, and files are stored there, there’s no control over whether those files remain present on the device while also in the cloud, or if they get shunted to the cloud only. Thus, you can end up with no local file and be required to download it before it’s available. If you don’t have an internet connection you can end up not having access to your samples until you do.

This is true for other apps as well. Books, for instance. I had planned on reading a few books on a camping trip, only to find that somewhere along the line Apple decided I would like to save the space on my device and would be happy to snag them from the cloud instead. The same was true for some of the AudioLayer and Gadget projects I checked out. I did spend a lot more time enjoying the outdoors that trip though. ;)

😎👍🏼

• This would be huge. In terms of the ability to sync projects, maybe a way to “collect and save” like Ableton which copies all the used samples and such into the project folder which is synced.
    Also, the ability to syncing Obsidian & FX presets would be nice too

• @paulm12 said:
    This would be huge. In terms of the ability to sync projects, maybe a way to “collect and save” like Ableton which copies all the used samples and such into the project folder which is synced.
    Also, the ability to syncing Obsidian & FX presets would be nice too

You're in luck, because that is exactly what the Export feature does. Then you can Airdrop the project to another device and pick up right where you left off!

• Possibly dumb question, however I'm new to iPad production. iCloud is currently backing up the NanoStudio app (apart from the user folders that can be seen in "My iPad" in files). This is taking about about 3+gig of my iCloud storage. Is there any point in this? Does this backup any useful files separate from those in "My iPad" which seem to cover new/custom samples, projects etc?

Thanks for any thoughts/help!