Windows 10: NS1 Not Working

edited January 2020 in NS1

I've recently made the switch from Windows 7 (and 8.1) on multiple computers, and fresh-reinstalled Nanostudio 1 v. 1.42 through the links on the official website. On windows 7 and 8.1, up to current day, NS1 still runs flawlessly. On Windows 10, for some reason, everything works normally, and is even scaled correctly in compatibility mode for Windows 7, however has a problem where the application doesn't display anything in real time. Clicking, pressing keys, etc. does their exact functions, however you must move the application window for anything to register (this is visual only, all audio is working as intended.)

Unsure how many people still care about Nanostudio on Windows, but it's been one of my sole go-to DAW's for the past 2 or 3 years: would love to know if it's potentially a problem on my end with video / graphics drivers or something, or NS1 being outdated or something. Been driving me crazy looking for fixes.

Comments

• I've recently made the switch from Windows 7 (and 8.1) on multiple computers, and fresh-reinstalled Nanostudio 1 v. 1.42 through the links on the official website. On windows 7 and 8.1, up to current day, NS1 still runs flawlessly. On Windows 10, for some reason, everything works normally, and is even scaled correctly in compatibility mode for Windows 7, however has a problem where the application doesn't display anything in real time. Clicking, pressing keys, etc. does their exact functions, however you must move the application window for anything to register (this is visual only, all audio is working as intended.)

Unsure how many people still care about Nanostudio on Windows, but it's been one of my sole go-to DAW's for the past 2 or 3 years: would love to know if it's potentially a problem on my end with video / graphics drivers or something, or NS1 being outdated or something. Been driving me crazy looking for fixes.

• Hi, @DJ_Frigid_Fire ! I merged the two threads, this is the correct category for all NS1 related stuff. NS1 is not in development anymore and official support for NS1 has ended. But there are still people on the forum who are using NS1 and someone might know a solution to your problem.

Do you mean that you have to move the application window each time you do something in the app? That sounds pretty awful.

• Hello @Stiksi, sorry for the duplicate posts. I hope I wasn't too confusing in my description: the problem is indeed visual freezing, for every action done in NS1. In both fullscreen and minimized application windows, the only way I can have anything displayed correctly (opening the program, using keys, clicking on panels, basically everything in the program) is to move the window around a little. All audio is completely fine: pressing the play button, pressing keys / buttons with the TRG pad and Eden synths all work as per normal, minus their visual components.

• Well, it certainly sounds like a video driver thing, but I’m guessing updating that was the first thing you tried. I hope we have some windows users who can try NS1 out. My last Windows machine was put out to pasture a couple months ago, so unfortunately I’m not much help with that.

• I see, I see. RIP your old setup.

My two computers I've run NS1 on were both Dell machines, one pc originally running Windows 7 (the newest make of the two, ironically) and the other running windows 8.1. The Windows 7 machine was the one upgraded to Windows 10. You're right: when I was finished moving and backing up personal files, and went through the process of fully setting up Windows 10, one of the first things I did updated my AMD graphics drivers, among other things. Perhaps this problem requires tweaking around the prioritized / used video card (standard intel, aftermarket AMD) or clocking? Most if not all of my other applications appear to work without dealing with graphics/video tweaking, though: confusing. Will keep this thread posted / always still open to fix suggestions.

• I have a HP Envy that’s at least 5 years old running WIN 10. NS1 works fine. Graphics, functions, timing, etc. are all as expected, but the audio is glitchy. I suspect it is something wrong with my audio driver. Probably needs an update. But NS1 works as expected.

• Huh, weird. I have visual problems, you have audio problems...

My Dell is only about 3 years old with Windows 10, did your machine come with it pre-installed / was it the original OS?? Or, was it upgraded from previous / was clean-installed?

• My laptop came with WIN 10. I had a horrible experience once with upgrading WIN OS and vowed to never do that again.

• Still works like a trooper for me. I was playing on it just the other day for old times sake. Reminded me of how much you can get from Eden.
    My PC is an old i7, upgraded from Win7. No video card any more, it died so I'm using the one integrated into the motherboard. It does sound like video drivers, imo.

• @SlapHappy I can feel that, I remember with 8.1 there was a horrible OS update glitch that stuck me (and others) in an infinite update loop that consistently failed, update never ended up working so I ended up leaving my computer running it in it's current state and not touching much lol.

@Trigger_the_Monkey This is definitely sounding a lot more like a video card / drivers thing, so far with the things I've tried I've had sadly no significant changes to my issue. Guess I'll try and draw from this and look more into that side of things rather than potential issues on the part of NS1 itself, lol, thanks all.

• NS1 for PC/Mac hasn’t changed in many years, so I think the issues would certainly be with your laptop/desktop. I don’t have any experience with video cards & drivers to know what to adjust. I think I’d check with manufacturer’s websites/forums and WIN updates. I hope you can get is solved (and remember to update us here). NS1 is really nice to have on a PC or Mac as a safeguard against losing NS1 files or the app itself to the 32 bit graveyard.

• FINALLY, back from the dead.

I'm certainly late to updating this thread, but I ended up figuring out a surprisingly simple fix utilizing the win10 ui's 'classic app' graphics tool.

Going into options and changing the mode of operation to 'High Performance' fixes the display issue I was having, everything functions the same once more. Hate to admit that I was overthinking it to hell and back, but now I've been successfully back to making strange remixes and originals with NS1.

Thanks again to everyone who helped here and lent their time / expertise! Will have to start putting some of the stuff that I'm not entirely ashamed of making somewhere in these forums later on down the line.

• Cool, looking forward to it!