When You Sing To Me - Indie Ballad

Created with my usual workflow: composed and arranged in NS2 and then vocal tracking and mixing in Auria:

Comments

• This remains me of death stranding soundtracks. I love it!

• @richardyot Another nice tune with your signature sound;) great work!;)

• Dream pop indeed! Love that guitar. I could get lost in that sound forever.

• Thanks! The guitar is from Beathawk (the Nylon Guitar in the Baroque IAP pack), but I'm tempted to record a real guitar part for it, to add a couple of slides in there and give it a more guitar-like phrasing.

• Really nice easy listening track and a full sounding mix.
    Nice bass and drums, well mixed too.
    I like the vocal sound you’re getting on the choruses. Are you doubling up or using some type of vocal effect?

• @LeeB said:
    Really nice easy listening track and a full sounding mix.
    Nice bass and drums, well mixed too.
    I like the vocal sound you’re getting on the choruses. Are you doubling up or using some type of vocal effect?

Thanks! On the choruses I'm singing a harmony part, pitched lower than the main vocal and mixed just below it. You can achieve something like this with various plugins (Eventide QVox for example) or even just by duplicating the vocal and pitching it down, but it never sounds as good as actually singing it.

All the vocals are also double-tracked, so there's two vocal tracks for the verse (but the double is mixed very low), two for the main chorus part and two for the harmony part.

The vocals are a ton of work, especially if there is a harmony, I need to record a lot of takes to get something useable. Typically I record around 12 takes for each section, and select the best sounding ones.

• Thanks for the info. A lot of work, but worth it for the overall sound.