Alternate takes

I’m sure I read somewhere in a discussion that NS2 has the ability to have alternate takes on a track. Is this true or have I been having weird dreams again?

Comments

• You’ve been eating fermented fruit again :p

• Tap on timeline
    Select record tab on left of page and select midi record mode to create.

• edited December 2018
    • you can have multiple "lanes" - instances of same track / in sequencer, you can then choose into which of them will be recorded notes/automations duting recording (to add lane just set active track, then long hold on "+" in bottom left part if sequencer screen and "add track lane"

• you can put multiple clips (patterns) on SAME track (just try drag n drop one patter to place where already exists other pattern)

• Blimey @dendy I didn’t even realise that you could keep adding lanes like that and I’ve only been using it for ages lol
    I guess different workflows

Finally I do many retakes of the Sensual Sax solos! =)

• edited December 2018

@Fruitbat1919 said:

to mute individual "takes" - select clip you want to mute and double tap on "properties".. it turns grey and is muted..

• @dendy said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

to mute individual "takes" - select clip you want to mute and double tap on "properties".. it turns grey and is muted..

Yep got that figured thanks :)

I think some are missing the power of features such as this, tempo / time sig tracks and groupings.

• Big thumbs up on the comp lanes. Probably the main appeal for using ns2 for me at the moment. Personally I really need to be able to record midi au in to them though to use them how I’d like to, which at present isn’t possible. When that functionality arrives it’ll be very cool.

• @flockz said:
    Big thumbs up on the comp lanes. Probably the main appeal for using ns2 for me at the moment. Personally I really need to be able to record midi au in to them though to use them how I’d like to, which at present isn’t possible. When that functionality arrives it’ll be very cool.

Agree AU midi record is probably my most desired feature too

• @dendy said:

• you can have multiple "lanes" - instances of same track / in sequencer, you can then choose into which of them will be recorded notes/automations duting recording (to add lane just set active track, then long hold on "+" in bottom left part if sequencer screen and "add track lane"

• you can put multiple clips (patterns) on SAME track (just try drag n drop one patter to place where already exists other pattern)

Dam I been looking for this :) cheers dendy

• Is there away to set up multiple recording of takes in a loop ? So looping bars 1-4 I want to record and have it record to separate lanes each time it loops around. I can only set one lane at a time to record...

• Can I ask a dumb question. How would you put multiple track lanes to use?

• edited December 2018

@halftone
    I’m not sure it can be done, I may be wrong.
    One possible solution, as you’re no doubt aware, would be to record 4 consecutive takes over 16 bars, chop them and add to separate lanes. Then you can mute/solo each lane.

• @LeeB said:
    @halftone
    I’m not sure it can be done, I may be wrong.
    One possible solution, as you’re no doubt aware, would be to record 4 consecutive takes over 16 bars, chop them and add to separate lanes. Then you can mute/solo each lane.

That's what I ended up doing.

• edited December 2018

@Eye0sStudios said:
    Can I ask a dumb question. How would you put multiple track lanes to use?

Lots of potential ways. On simple one: Separate out the hats pattern from the rest of a drum track so you can mute, move it around, etc. easily without needing routing or another kit.

Another: have multiple melodies or versions of a melody and swap alternates in and out to see what works best. It’s an organizational and visual convenience, that’s all.

• Or a lane for a cutoff automation, another for a volume automation, and so on...

• @halftone So you do all your automation in lanes? I have been doing bit right in the track itself.

• edited December 2018

@halftone said:
    Or a lane for a cutoff automation, another for a volume automation, and so on...

this is exactly what i do - on main track i have clips with notes, on lanes automations...

• @dendy said:

@halftone said:
    Or a lane for a cutoff automation, another for a volume automation, and so on...

this is exactly what i do - on main track i have clips with notes, on lanes automations...

Same here. The only way to go!

With this, you can quickly change the automation on an otherwise looping musical part. Or multiple different loop lengths for several automation tracks (eat it, effectrix). Or copy the automation from one track to another quickly. Or easily mute the automation to see what the hell you've messed up with your 5th envelope...

• @Will said:

@dendy said:

@halftone said:

Same here. The only way to go!

With this, you can quickly change the automation on an otherwise looping musical part. Or multiple different loop lengths for several automation tracks (eat it, effectrix). Or copy the automation from one track to another quickly. Or easily mute the automation to see what the hell you've messed up with your 5th envelope...

That sounds glorious! I’ve been working on “my first demo song” putting together everything I’m learning and automation was coming up next. Cheers for the perfect timing!

• Multiple lanes - that's big boy stuff! Great feature to have on board. I'd love a desktop style comping feature for recording audio (Messy guitar solos...) - not sure if there is an iOS daw that does that? Still - midi lanes in NS2 is a big big plus.

• So is there any way to rename the lane? I can rename the clip in there but not the track lane.
    Also is there a way to collapse the lanes?

Thanks

• @Eye0sStudios said:
    So is there any way to rename the lane? I can rename the clip in there but not the track lane.
    Also is there a way to collapse the lanes?

Thanks

lane not,, they cannot be named. You can rename just track (in track settintgs tab)

• Most folks have probably sorted this out but reminder that you can select any clip(s) and then double tap on "PROPERTIES" to toggle the clip's mute state.

• @Brattcave said:
    Multiple lanes - that's big boy stuff! Great feature to have on board. I'd love a desktop style comping feature for recording audio (Messy guitar solos...)

This has definitely been discussed as a part of the Audio Tracks update. Not sure if it'll make the cut but it would certainly be handy.