Feature Request: Let Piano Roll keys play notes!

2»

Comments

• Another 'aye' vote for auditioning via those keys!

• I for one love a good toggle in a roll.

Yes please.

• edited December 2018

@Blip Interactive said:
    I'm happy to consider this as I agree it would be useful.

There is a trade off as currently that area can be used for scrolling and pinch zooming.

If the majority agree that audition is far more use than scroll/pinch in that area, then you've sold me.

Hey Matt,

(Be proud, be very PROUD!)

———

Definitely audition is needed!

I have it in my iPhone notes (with more requests) from day one.
    I’ll put them all together in one thread eventually.
    (Or maybe email, forums can be so time consuming)

Still exploring, and seeing people requesting stuff I would like, so I'm ticking those off my list.
    (Group collapse in sequencer for example).

———-

NanoStudio(2) is SPECIAL!
    I have a lot more to say, but later..

Later,

King

• @drez said:
    Ableton Live has a little headphones icon where you can toggle that feature on and off. Seems like you could do the same here.

Or maybe the note audition icon has three states: off, piano roll and piano roll + piano keys?

Further, on a string part, they might have a slow attack so you don’t actually hear the note when you move it with the arrows.

Fwiw, you can hold the note handles down to hear it play longer. This would be the same with the piano keys.

• @Will said:
    Or maybe the note audition icon has three states: off, piano roll and piano roll + piano keys?

>

Maybe, but I don’t want to have to toggle between 3 states every time I want to use it. Just tapping it one time is better. I can safely tell you I will be using the hell out of that toggle! Having to double or triple tap just to save real estate would be hurting workflow, IMO.

Fwiw, you can hold the note handles down to hear it play longer. This would be the same with the piano keys.

Did not know that! I can use that as a workaround for now: draw a note use the movement arrows and the note toggle at the same time? Not by my iPad but sounds right?

• edited December 2018

@Will

• same roll-up menu like in grid or zoom on auditioning icon
    • two radio buttons "note drag", "piano keys"
    • double tap on icon will work as switch for "piano roll" button

what do you think ? Most important what @Blip Interactive thinks :-)

• @dendy that would conform to the current UI standard, so makes sense!

@Will a triple tap would work if NS rememberers the last toggle. So if you double or triple tap to switch to keys, then you single toggle back to legacy, the next time you toggle it goes to keys. Same as if you had switched to piano roll. That would be how you defined your mode until you switched it again.

Would have to play with it or have the beta testers give it a go and see what works smoothest. @dendy idea does fit the current UI model, I think. But your idea might be better.
    ¯_(ツ)_/¯

• What @drez said!
    PLUS 1!

Brilliant idea and excellent place for the implementation. I would love to see the toggle in an upcoming update.

• @drez said:

@Will said:

>

Maybe, but I don’t want to have to toggle between 3 states every time I want to use it. Just tapping it one time is better. I can safely tell you I will be using the hell out of that toggle! Having to double or triple tap just to save real estate would be hurting workflow, IMO.

Until we dream up some as-yet-undreamt feature we want to put in that space. :)

For me, with these sorts of buttons that lots of us will basically leave once set, toggling through three states seems reasonable. It's not so much a double or triple tap—it's a tap until it's the one you want.

I like @dendy's consistency idea too though.

• +1 for playing notes

• @AlleycatLA said:

@drez said:
    Ableton Live has a little headphones icon where you can toggle that feature on and off. Seems like you could do the same here.

I like this solution!

+1

• OK I'm sold - I'll put it on the list. Extra button idea seems like a good one. TBH it could probably have the same icon as the button to the left of GRID (speaker + note), as it'll probably be self-explanatory that this one relates to the view above it, just like the existing one does.

• Thanks, Matt! This one is big for me, so =)

• +1 on this feature. And I like the toggle idea as suggested by drez. Too many times I have prodded that keyboard only to be reminded that it doesn't trigger notes. It's a useful feature, especially when trying out chord progressions, without an external keyboard attached.

• Ideally it would be possible to have windows. Proper sized horizontal keys and piano roll both onscreen at once. Generally how people work when there’s a midi keyboard attached to iPad/desktop etc for day to day daw work. Play/Rec notes and tweak piano roll organically if needed. Smooth workflow with no back and forth of views..

The piano roll view keys aren’t very ‘playable’. Though agreed that for quick fix for now it’d be good to be able to use them.

• @flockz said:
    Ideally it would be possible to have windows. Proper sized horizontal keys and piano roll both onscreen at once.

Windows always cover up something below. With something as packed as the NS2 sequencer, I don't see how this would work well. That's my main gripe with them, I don't even like floating plugins on the desktop but then again I don't have to use the windows if they are added. On the other hand, I could go for a Thor-like bottom of the screen super thin keyboard.

• edited December 2018

@Stiksi said:

@flockz said:
    Ideally it would be possible to have windows. Proper sized horizontal keys and piano roll both onscreen at once.

Windows always cover up something below. With something as packed as the NS2 sequencer, I don't see how this would work well. That's my main gripe with them, I don't even like floating plugins on the desktop but then again I don't have to use the windows if they are added. On the other hand, I could go for a Thor-like bottom of the screen super thin keyboard.

Cubasis windows work fine?

Keys + piano roll in that Cubasis style would be smooth workflow..

With minimise buttons etc for both areas.

But yeah. Doesn’t even have to be windows really. Just a ‘keys’ button That would show/hide keys at bottom of screen no matter what part of ns2 you’re on.

• @flockz said:

@Stiksi said:

@flockz said:

I'll have to take your word for it and I'm sure they work well for you. I don't use Cubasis, but I have a suspicion I wouldn't like them simply because I don't like the windows in Ableton, Auria or any other audio app I've used. They're too finicky, I like things that stay in the same place every time so I don't have to look at them to know where to tap or click. If Matt came up with a hardware controller for NS2, I would be first in line for it. :)

• @Stiksi said:

@flockz said:

@Stiksi said:

@flockz said:

I'll have to take your word for it and I'm sure they work well for you. I don't use Cubasis, but I have a suspicion I wouldn't like them simply because I don't like the windows in Ableton, Auria or any other audio app I've used. They're too finicky, I like things that stay in the same place every time so I don't have to look at them to know where to tap or click. If Matt came up with a hardware controller for NS2, I would be first in line for it. :)

I just edited my last post, it wouldn’t need to be a ‘window’ as such. Just a ‘keys’ button to show/hide a playable sized keyboard along bottom of screen. To mimic the normal studio working setup of ‘midi keyboard + daw on screen’, not the kind of irritating iOS gui of having ‘one or the other’ ;) it’s not a requirement at all when you have keys attached, but often I just have my iPad and no midi keys and the workflow can feel a bit slow going back and forth instead of having things just be ‘there’ ;)

• @flockz said:

@Stiksi said:

@flockz said:

@Stiksi said:

@flockz said:

I just edited my last post, it wouldn’t need to be a ‘window’ as such. Just a ‘keys’ button to show/hide a playable sized keyboard along bottom of screen.

I could absolutely get on board that.

• Thank you sir! That’s awesome! Keep up your awesome work!