Using sustain pedal with nanostudio

13»

Comments

• NS doesn’t see the sustain pedal - only has to process note on and note off. Second script does the sustaining by holding the notes.

• edited May 2020

@AndyHoneybone

What IDE are you using for editing Mozaic scripts ? Looks like you have syntax higlight there (i'm refferening on screenshot)

• @AndyHoneybone said:
    NS doesn’t see the sustain pedal - only has to process note on and note off. Second script does the sustaining by holding the notes.

That's odd, sustain pedal support was added in the last update, so it should at least do something.

• Hey @dendy, Textastic with -ki's Mozaic Support for Code Text Editors is great for Mozaic scripts and for all iOS code editing. There's an inexpensive Mac version as well. With iCloud integration, it's a super useful combination.

-ki's stuff can be used with Sublime 3 too.

• @Stiksi said:

@AndyHoneybone said:
    NS doesn’t see the sustain pedal - only has to process note on and note off. Second script does the sustaining by holding the notes.

That's odd, sustain pedal support was added in the last update, so it should at least do something.

Hi @stiksi, I meant my scripts do not require NS to see (handle) the sustain pedal MIDI CC#64 controller message. Yes, NS does handle the sustain pedal but records the effect of the pedal (extended notes) rather than the controller messages themselves. You cannot (as far as I can see) record sustain pedal alone by merging in a loop for example.

There is a fairly lengthy write up of how to use the scripts and all the credits in the YouTube description.

@dendy, @number37, yes I use -ki’s Textastic script editor MOZAIC language support. It was a game changer for me. It prompts syntax, highlights bugs, makes version management easier and coding more fun.

• @AndyHoneybone said:

@Stiksi said:

@AndyHoneybone said:

Hi @stiksi, I meant my scripts do not require NS to see (handle) the sustain pedal MIDI CC#64 controller message. Yes, NS does handle the sustain pedal but records the effect of the pedal (extended notes) rather than the controller messages themselves. You cannot (as far as I can see) record sustain pedal alone by merging in a loop for example.

There is a fairly lengthy write up of how to use the scripts and all the credits in the YouTube description.

@dendy, @number37, yes I use -ki’s Textastic script editor MOZAIC language support. It was a game changer for me. It prompts syntax, highlights bugs, makes version management easier and coding more fun.

Ah, now I get it, thanks for spelling it out :grin:

• Hi there! Just today I purchased Mozaic, wrote my first script and then complained to the author that his helpful handling of sustain pedal is actually not helpful. And now, about an hour later I learned, that in fact it is a misfeature of NanoStudio and Mozaic is way to get around it! :lol:

Is the actual solution now in sight, one year after the current one has been implemented? There’s really no way around it than to actually record and pass MIDI CC value for sustain. Please note, that some pedal/controller combinations will produce more than just 0 and 127 as value.

Other than that I am really enjoying NanoStudio’s workflow and user interface!

• Hi, @AndyHoneybone! I'm a newbie in NS2 and music production. And I've got stuck with piano workflow support in NS2 to :cry:

Can your solution be applied without AUM? For example, using Mozaic as MIDI effect or something like this?

• @Laoladis said:
    For example, using Mozaic as MIDI effect or something like this?

You need to do first step outside of Nanostudio, as sustain is filtered before it hits MIDI FX.