Mozaic script for only playing highest note of chord (mono-R)

Years ago I owned a few Generalmusic / GEM keyboards and synths. These offered not only the possibility of mono and polyphonic tracks as usual, but also so-called mono-R and mono-L. The first one would only play the highest note (most right on the keyboard), the latter the lowest note (most left on the keyboard).
I used the mono-R setting a lot, because it made it possible to play a melody together with a chord of strings, just by playing a single chord. This is useful when you have just a single keyboard - like a digital piano. In the left hand you can play a bass, the right hand combines a chord with the lead sound for the melody.
I know that Yamaha CVP clavinovas can do the same (in fact, they do so automatically if you set the second right-hand voice to mono).
Using Bram Bos' Mozaic midi plugin I have developed a script that does the same. Please let me know if there is interest in this, then I'll post it here. For a demonstration, see https://youtube.com/watch?v=TX8C-HBtR0I.

As a sidenote, I would like to have an option to disable the automatic mapping of the sustain pedal for certain tracks; because I noticed that Nanostudio does not send the midi info for the pedal to the Mozaic plugin, but instead handles it internally.

Comments

• Cool idea. I'd suggest posting it to https://patchstorage.com/platform/mozaic/ for sure.

• I bought Mozaic yesterday in order to write exactly same script, @Devvy! And then ended up on this forum complaining about NanoStudio’s emulation of the sustain pedal :smile:

Mine is https://patchstorage.com/mononotepriority/

• Hi! I thought I was the only one with this particular requirement... looking at your script, I think I made mine a bit too complicated. Doesn't matter, I had a lot of fun writing it anyway.

• Just FYI - Mono-R is exactly how Obsidian plays chords when it is switched to "Mono" mode ;) So if you use obsidian as MIDI notes source and then you add to project another synth (for example any AU synth), you need just set MIDI send from Obsidian track to that AU instrument track (som MIDI notes from Obsidian track are routed also to that second AU instrument track), then if you play on Obsidian, it plays just top right note but AU instrument (of course if it is polyphonic) plays whole chord...

• Hi Dendy,

Are you sure? I just tried it, but the mono behaviour is the same as what I demonstrated in the video (so, playing the last note pressed, not necessarily the highest note of the chord). Or did I misunderstand what you said?

• @Devvy said:
    Hi Dendy,

Are you sure? I just tried it, but the mono behaviour is the same as what I demonstrated in the video (so, playing the last note pressed, not necessarily the highest note of the chord). Or did I misunderstand what you said?

Aaah sorry you're true .. i tried it just by drawing notes in sequencer - when they are already recorded, notes on same position (e.g. chord) are working this way (upper not is played) ...