Jinx Padlock - "Apocalypse Ni Hao" - new album!

Written, recorded an arranged in Nanostudio -
I'm dropping it here first due to the massive impact NS had on making this happen.
Thanks Matt for making me make music x

Apple Music
https://music.apple.com/gb/album/apocalypse-ni-hao/1508449646

Apple iTunes Shop
https://music.apple.com/gb/album/apocalypse-ni-hao/1508449646

Spotify
https://open.spotify.com/album/65hYCBCt2GIWh2tDY7vlhS

Deezer
https://www.deezer.com/album/142408702?utm_source=deezer&utm_content=album-142408702&utm_term=3606417662_1587152816&utm_medium=web

Tidal
https://tidal.com/browse/album/137816314

Bandcamp
https://jinx-padlock.bandcamp.com/album/apocalypse-ni-hao

All comments and share most welcome - we came in as a team, we go out as one!

Press release -

Jinx Padlock releases the epic new album "Apocalypse Ni Hao"

Seven years in the making, the album began life as a chronicle of a bizarre 4 month trip to Beijing in 2013.
Written and recorded on an iPad, the senses-bomb of Old Peking developed into a narrative, which in turn morphed into a collection of tunes that summed up the mania of that time.
Life and technology moved on, but ANH failed to go away, it has been mixed and remixed on planes, trains and boats across the world, a seemingly endless and complicated riddle with no solution.
It is with great relief and pleasure that I present “Apocalypse Ni Hao” to the world, when it seems strangely relevant to our current situation.

Jinx Padlock is Richard Perry, a London based producer who likes to keep it mobile - an iPad and and an array of apps processed through more apps. The mobility is a key factor to the creation of his work, commutes were studio time, a stolen hour here and there - this is literally the sound of the underground.
With inspirations from the nonchalant sprawl and sonic evolution of Prog rock to the immediacy of cutting edge Techno, the sound was forged. There are elements of tribal drumming, 60's freak out and heart racing electronics to amuse, confuse and abuse.

Join the journey into the heart of Beijing through the eyes of an idiot and the ears of a musical renegade.

All aboard...

Comments

• Purchased on bandcamp ;-) Great album ! Every song is telling some story - one of top albums for last few years for me, lot lot LOT of interesting stuff there..

It would be nice to hear about your creation process - what apps you did use (apart of Nanostudio - btw it was NS1 or NS2 ?) , how you put things together, stuff like that..

• @dendy

Thanks man, Sorry for the ridiculously late reply, had a few technical problems!
    The album is all Nanostudio 1, and everything I had on the iPad at the time, I used pretty much every synth on the app store!
    Drum Jam and DM1 were responsible for most of the beat tracks, everything went through amp simulations and effects processors, resampled through Audioshare back into Nano.
    The creation process usually comes from a frustration during travelling - Timezoned was writted on the 11 hour flight to Beijing.
    Nanostudio 2 is vast and i've been taking my time to learn it inside out before letting anything out - i disappeared for a little while with a life issues, but am now back making tunes again!
    If I can, I'll do a how-to video for NS2

JP x

• And hes back in business!! The master who Know how to press every last drop of cpu out of nanostudio!!

• Got some new cpus to burn!

• edited May 2020

@Jinx_Padlock said:
    Got some new cpus to burn!

You cannot burn CPU on new devices with Nanostudio..

Watch this screenshot, those are Obsidian instances on my Mini 5, each one using 3 supersaw oscillators, 3 filters (LP, HP, Formant) and 3 FXs (phaser, delay, long plate reverb), each one playing 4 notes.

• Oh yes you can - new iPad and mac book pro - they both gurning

• Forgot to comment on this, I thoroughly loved going through the album, it’s like one of those 70’s rock classics that are a coherent whole, instead of a collection of songs. Great work!

• Thanks Stiksi! Big praise, it’s meant to be a concept album that lives within its own space. I was a bit worried about Never Event, it going full rave, but it did fit in to the story and the story very much included raving!
    It’s been my writers block for 7 years, tried to make it as perfect as possible and then just got frustrated.
    It’s release has released me, so watch out- I’m coming at ya soon with some new noise, new toys and a whole lot of mad stuff to look at x

• @dendy said:

@Jinx_Padlock said:

Watch this screenshot, those are Obsidian instances on my Mini 5, each one using 3 supersaw oscillators, 3 filters (LP, HP, Formant) and 3 FXs (phaser, delay, long plate reverb), each one playing 4 notes.

@dendy said:

@Jinx_Padlock said:

@dendy said:

@Jinx_Padlock said:

Oh, I know, it’s pretty hardcore now, just got the pro 4 and I’m running 72 channels of nasty though it with effects chains everywhere- it’s the brave new world we were looking for in 2010. I do miss the old copy/paste/hope for the best part about iOS. NS2 still has a punky edge to it, which keeps me in there and away from Cubase, or any other software. The Nano way is still the most creative way as far as I’m concerned!
    I’ve only just started to really hammer the slate tracks, which due to my sampling addiction is satisfying- I think that my adventure has just picked up where I left off!

20th June.
    Releases.

There, said it!

X

• I’ve even plugged in the Line 6 keyboard that I won. It’s brilliant fun!

• @Jeppan74 said:
    And hes back in business!! The master who Know how to press every last drop of cpu out of nanostudio!!

New iPad, MBP and iPhone - the smell of heated plastic is strong in JPHQ

• @Jinx_Padlock said:
    I’ve even plugged in the Line 6 keyboard that I won. It’s brilliant fun!

Oh yeah, I forgot the Line 6s work fine with those new iPads' USB-C connectors, even without a hub! Mine is at work, hidden in a cupboard. I use it with Ableton during breaks :D I gave up on connecting it with iOS when everything went lightning.

• @Jinx_Padlock awesome album, heavy! Really digging this one, added to my 🍏 lib.
    Big ups!

• thanks cray23 - the tribal hing is getting heavier! Thanks fpor dropping by!

• This is good. Thanks!

• @drcongo said:
    This is good. Thanks!

Thanks man - would you like to remix it?

• @Stiksi said:

@Jinx_Padlock said:
    I’ve even plugged in the Line 6 keyboard that I won. It’s brilliant fun!

Oh yeah, I forgot the Line 6s work fine with those new iPads' USB-C connectors, even without a hub! Mine is at work, hidden in a cupboard. I use it with Ableton during breaks :D I gave up on connecting it with iOS when everything went lightning.

Just done it again today, the weird "touch"thing about the iPad really is weird once you connect a full midi keyboard to it. And Nano2 is just hilarious when you pipe it all together.
    Its totally to blame for my lack of output, im just sat in a house, piping midi into midi into midi...
    Made a patch in NS2 that is just ridiculous, Its making me anxious, and my mrs a little crazy.
    Winter Solstice is coming, best get building a henge...