Working with samples in NS2

I'm a bm3 user but am looking at other options. From what I've seen ns2 has a super clean layout and is stable. The thing is the music I make is heavily sample based. I do a lot of sample chopping and time stretching. Is this possible in NS2?

Comments

• edited June 2020

unfortunately, this is exactly area where NS is behind BM ... not possible... there areworkarounds involving third party apps (reslice for slicing, blocs wave for timestretching), but you know, those are just workarounds, not everybody accepts them ....

• What would be the easiest way to incorporate the two? I think I want to use bm3 like you would traditionally use an mpc for drums and chopping samples. Then bring that into something else to finish it. I'm looking at ns2 and cubasis. Haven't really made my mind up yet. I'm thinking just export the stems unless there's a better way. I'm not one of those people that's scared to print to audio lol

• Hey John,
    I am a samplebased musician too. I do my chopping in audacity on a pc, the rest in nano on the Ipad since 2012. First version 1, now 2 (still have 1 running on an old Ipad). The 2 things I mostly miss in nanostudio, are audiotracks and timestretching. But to me, the total package nanostudio offers is supernice and makes me behave like a biased groupie. Nanostudio is already great for making samplebased music, but it could use some more upgrading to forfill the needs & wants of the samplebased-market.

• @johnblaze205 said:
    I'm a bm3 user but am looking at other options. From what I've seen ns2 has a super clean layout and is stable. The thing is the music I make is heavily sample based. I do a lot of sample chopping and time stretching. Is this possible in NS2?

What about BM3 is making you flirt with other options?

• @johnblaze205 said:
    What would be the easiest way to incorporate the two? I think I want to use bm3 like you would traditionally use an mpc for drums and chopping samples. Then bring that into something else to finish it. I'm looking at ns2 and cubasis. Haven't really made my mind up yet. I'm thinking just export the stems unless there's a better way. I'm not one of those people that's scared to print to audio lol

If you want to print song-length stems and just mix them, Cubasis is probably the better option. NS can totally handle long stems (like, crazy long) but it doesn't have a way to start playback from within the sample. Meaning, you can't start playback in your chorus at minute 2, for instance.

If you want to print sections of shorter length (say, 1 to 16 bar loops) and string them together to create the final mix/edit, NS is a beast. IMO, you'll have a much better time mixing in NS though, tbh, I haven't tried Cubasis 3 yet.

4Pockets MultiTrack https://apps.apple.com/app/id1483833410 might be an option for hosting long stems in NS but I'm not sure if that allows for separate outputs which is probably what you'd want for mixing. There are a few posts about it here on the forum that might have more info.

• I know on Nano studio 1 you could sample wavs that you uploaded