Don't update to iOS 14 if you can avoid it - RESOLVED

edited September 2020 in Announcements

As of iOS 14, any in-app purchase/install operations made via NanoStudio's Store page will fail to download and will usually crash the app. In some cases they may also crash future app sessions (as the app store may resume a download requested during a previous session).

Unfortunately Apple launched iOS 14 with very little warning to developers, so this issue will be experienced by anyone who updates to iOS 14. I suspect other apps may also be similarly affected, but it does depend upon how an app uses IAP so many may be fine.

All the latest iOS 14 betas have had problems with IAP so this is an issue I've been tracking for some time. I was hoping that they would be fixed before launch, but I also devised a workaround in case they weren't.

Rest assured that I'm on the case and will be submitting an update ASAP. I can't say when it'll be available as it will need to go through approval, but we should be talking days, not weeks.

So to summarize:

• Hold off updating to iOS 14 if you can
  • IAP purchases/installs made in NS2's Store page won't work (and may cause crashes) on iOS 14
  • If you've paid for an IAP and it won't download, don't worry. The download will work in the next version of NS2 (and you'll never be charged twice for IAP)
  • Any IAP you have already installed won't be a problem. This is only related to operations made via NS2's Store page.

Comments

• He liiiiiives! :lol: How've you been mate?

And, I usually hold off on major number updates as long as I possibly can (and usually only update when betatesting the latest version of ProCreate).

• edited September 2020

If there is a real reliance on Apple in something, then in that they always something break in each release.

• @dendy said:
    If there is a real reliance on Apple in something, then in that they always something break in each release.

So true.

• @dendy said:

Exactly this!

• He liiiiiives! :lol: How've you been mate?

Yes I live, and I'm better now I'm no longer a reluctant home school teacher - thanks for asking!

I must say this whole iOS 14 thing's a bit disappointing. Not only has it broken a couple of things (which I think I've managed to fix), but the act of communication has dashed my dreams of a 100 page thread on the AB forums speculating on my thought patterns. LOL ;)

• @Blip Interactive said:
    I must say this whole iOS 14 thing's a bit disappointing. Not only has it broken a couple of things (which I think I've managed to fix), but the act of communication has dashed my dreams of a 100 page thread on the AB forums speculating on my thought patterns. LOL ;)

😂 😂 It’s still doing pretty well, though. As for iOS 14, there’s probably a reason why they surreptitiously turned on auto updates on everyone’s devices in 13.6. Not much incentive to update unless your government has opted for Apple’s native covid exposure alert system.

• edited September 2020

@Blip Interactive said:

He liiiiiives! :lol: How've you been mate?

Yes I live, and I'm better now I'm no longer a reluctant home school teacher - thanks for asking!

I’m glad you see some humor in it.
    I feel like I need a shower after the latest AB forum snark fest. :/

Still, lotsa fans over there too. B)

• edited September 2020

@Blip Interactive
    but the act of communication has dashed my dreams of a 100 page thread on the AB forums speculating on my thought patterns.

:lol: HAhahaha you killed me ... I was hoping you didn't read that thread...

Btw. somebody should test also state saving of AUv3 plugins, i saw mentioned at facebook iPad musician group that this is serious issue in iOS14 (not related to NS2, in general in any host) - i'm refusing to install iOS14 on my devices even through i'm risk being fired from my ns beta testing job

• Still, this got a chuckle out of me 😀

• Hmm probably should be:

Resolved. For Now.

Hmm probably should be:

Resolved. For Now.

I'm pretty sure Apple will again pull you out of bed, year from now, when iOS15 breaks again something ... So update continuity is ensured.

• Getting out of bed's OK. The problem is sobering up.

Getting out of bed's OK. The problem is sobering up.

Hm, carefull with your posts, i can see tomorrow new megatopic on ABForum "Nanostudio is an abandonware, developer is an alcoholic !!!"

• Hm, carefull with your posts, i can see tomorrow new megatopic on ABForum "Nanostudio is an abandonware, developer is an alcoholic !!!"

I haven't lost hope for a 100 page AB thread, but I realize I may have to resort to controversial statements rather than full radio silence to achieve it.

WARNING: controversial statement

Truth is I gave up alcohol fully a few years ago because my body disagrees with it. Instead, I drink cocktails made from crystal meth, opium and a dash of lime.

• So, that's why there are those psychedelic mandalas as new project images. Now it makes sense.

• hm maybe this is not related to NS code, but just to be sure, saw this:

• edited September 2020

This function seems to be new in iOS 14 - up until now I didn't know how to obtain an AU's icon.

I see it's as well documented as most other iOS audio functions. This function does 'no overview available'.

He liiiiiives! :lol: How've you been mate?

Oh man, home schooling? I can only imagine you gotta be a parent with nerves of steel to get through that without going batty. Now it's replaced with iOS 14 breaking things driving you batty. Oh dear.

:lol:@dendy made a good case on that long pointless thread full of drivel on the priorities you've faced over the years. I made a post too stating that I've made several vocal tracks without Audio Tracks being implemented, which got ignored in favour of the hotheads white knighting and bitching and moaning. :lol:

I mean, to be fair, I was hoping for an update on audiotracks myself in a thread here, but everybody remained with cool heads, and the thread ended up with us concerned with how you've been doing. :) Thankfully you're alright mate. Cheers.

This function seems to be new in iOS 14 - up until now I didn't know how to obtain an AU's icon.

I see it's as well documented as most other iOS audio functions. This function does 'no overview available'.

Lol I was about to add a feature request to show AUv3 icons in the plugin lists, I guess you better stay away from that :P

• I've hopefully fixed all the naughty iOS 14 stuff and submitted a new version. No idea how long it's going to take. Typically the review process is 1-2 days max, but Apple gave developers such short notice this time round that I suspect they're unusually busy - ie. mayhem!

This discussion has been closed.