Change sample rate on iPhone

Hello, this is my first post!

I looked in the manual and cannot find any info on how to change the sample rate in settings. I am using an iPhone 7 Plus and when I go to the settings section it says my sample rate is 48.0khz. I can’t seem to click on it so I can change it. I would like to change it to 44.1khz so it matches my settings on my iPad. Does anyone know how to change the sample rate on iPhones?

Thanks for your time!

Comments

• edited September 2020

@Treysonik said:
    Hello, this is my first post!

I looked in the manual and cannot find any info on how to change the sample rate in settings. I am using an iPhone 7 Plus and when I go to the settings section it says my sample rate is 48.0khz. I can’t seem to click on it so I can change it. I would like to change it to 44.1khz so it matches my settings on my iPad. Does anyone know how to change the sample rate on iPhones?

Thanks for your time!

I'm not sure you can change that setting in NS2 directly. I notice that if I plug in Lightning earbuds it changes to 44.1kHz. When I unplug them it changes back to 48K. In AUM, with the earbuds unplugged I'm unable to set 44.1kHz.

iPhone 7s. Same on iPad Air 2.

• @number37 said:

>

I'm not sure you can change that setting in NS2 directly. I notice that if I plug in Lightning earbuds it changes to 44.1kHz. When I unplug them it changes back to 48K. In AUM, with the earbuds unplugged I'm unable to set 44.1kHz.

iPhone 7s. Same on iPad Air 2.

Very interesting. I’ll try that out myself when I am able to plug in my earbuds.

I wonder if anyone else here has an explanation for this occurring.

Thanks for the input! @number37

• this is how iOS devices with headphone jack works since iPhone6 i think... if there is no connected cable to jack connector, device sample rate is 48khz, in case you connect headphones with microphone (eg for example
    apple earbuds) device switches to 44khz sample rate...

DAw in theory can use any internal
    sample rate for all
    ot's processing, even 96khz, it just needs at the end before audio is sent to output, resample it to device sample rate (to match D/A converter rate)

This is how NS2 was working after first release - because this is actually how DAW should work, and how most of desktop DAWs are working. NS used always internally 44khz (with preparation in future allowing also 48/88/96, like it is available for mixdown, for higher processing quality on future powerful cpus)

Unfortunately, back then there was a huge amount of plugins with incorrect sample
    rate handling implementation - instead of following rate set by host, they were locked to device sample rate - which caused lot of various troubles with those plugins in NS. Because basically all other iOS DAWs are locked to device sample rate too, those plugins were buggy just in NS which obviously caused lot of users complains about NS improperly handling those plugins - ironically even through actually NS was only app in this ecosystem which was handling it correctly :-))

So NS2 was changed to adapt to weird twisted way how things works on iOS and now it's in realtime mode locked to device sample rate.

During mixdown it's different, sample
    rate you choose for mixdown is really used internally for all processing - which causes still some issues with poorly coded plugins.

• Thank you so much @dendy !! You answered everything I wanted to know. Very interesting stuff. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain everything.

Thanks again and have a good one,
    -Treysonik

• Thanks for the info already, I have a question which follows this thread : I just bought a Focusrite 4i4 audio USB interface and it has the option of selecting sample rate, with the proposal in the manual that 48kHz is 'recommended'.
    Since I have a 2018 iPad Pro ( the one without headphone jack, only USB-C), can I assume that NS2 will work at 48kHz because that is the native rate for the device, and therefore I should set my Focusrite to 48kHz as well ( it's currently on 44.1 out of the box).
    I ask as a total newbie on 'why this matters' because it seems to be working just fine already...! ... just want to future-proof any projects if it makes more sense to match the smaple rate on the USB interface and the device
    Thanks in advance!

• If it works fine, the sample rate is matching in both devices. I would just switch the interface into 48 and see if it changes anything. If it still works without crackling or other glitches, that means that sample rates still match in both devices. If I recall correctly, it should basically ”just work” with either sample rate.

But I wouldn’t worry about projects not matching, audio sample rate is converted by either iPad/iOS or Nanostudio and it works fine, it’s just the AUv3 plugins that cause issues when the sample rate switches, especially mid session, which means either when you connect the audio interface or when you do a mixdown in a different rate.