FR - Route tracks to Slate sampling

edited December 2018 in General chat

Discussed in another thread but giving it a solid feature request as I think it’s potentially quite a biggie for certain types of producers.

Being able to choose track/s or master bus as sampling source for a Slate pad.

Ideally with sync sampling start/stop and length options.

Slate and the whole app would be a lot more organic for certain production styles with these kind of fast and flexible routing options for resampling and juggling audio around the different tools inside ns2.

Comments

• Hello,

What is the best way to record sounds from another app into a Slate pad? I am trying to work with Amarillo synth. I loaded it as an AU track and sent audio to the Slate track but couldn’t record. Is there a better way, or do I have to record in AudioShare and just load the wanted to avoid having samples in two places.

Thanks, Michael

• Just use mixdown functionality and then open mixdown file from slate. You can solo track you want resample, eventually set song loop.. then go to Settings > Project > Mixdown

choose type "soloed tracks", region "song loop" then hit "Start". It creates mixdown file with same name as your project name in "mixdowns directory" (if there already is such file, adds nuber to name)

From that screen you can immediately see this file (tap on previous st left side), rename file (icon Aa on top) and eventually move that file anywhere you want.

Then go to Slate and load that file to pad ;)

• @dendy thanks for the instructions. Is there a technical or design reason the Slate pad record cannot use another track as a source? That might streamline the workflow.

• @HOLMES_Mark_IV said:
    @dendy thanks for the instructions. Is there a technical or design reason the Slate pad record cannot use another track as a source? That might streamline the workflow.

Surely resampling tracks to pads will be added. Ideally with source/sync/rec length options available.

• @HOLMES_Mark_IV said:
    @dendy thanks for the instructions. Is there a technical or design reason the Slate pad record cannot use another track as a source? That might streamline the workflow.

mostly time pressure because of release date reason :-)

in future for sure some more intuitive faster ways of resampling will ve added, especially if lot people will ask for it... i would appreciate it too :-)

• edited December 2018

Yep agree. Being able to sample directly off a track to a pad or even the synth would be very helpful.

Yeah it’s ok making samples via the export option, but sometimes tracks directly as a track is playing would be such a great feature, especially as we can’t record automation from AU fx

• edited December 2018

To make this simple, or more generalized - basically posibility to add any sequencer track as recording input in audio recorder (it is same in Slate and Obsidian sampler) would solve everything, wouldn't ? Because rest is already there ...

I agree that this would vastly increase useability and simplify workflow of resampling.

UI proposal:

Imagine that popup where you can choose input channel for recording will be changed this way

• static txt “input channel” will be changed to switch “input channel l mixer channel”
    • if “mixer channel” will be selected at left side, then :
    • right switch will change to “pre fx / post fx”
    • list of hw input channels will change to list of all mixer channels (number. name) scrollable from left to right

What do you think ?

• @dendy said:
    To make this simple, or more generalized - basically posibility to add any sequencer track as recording input in audio recorder (it is same in Slate and Obsidian sampler) would solve everything, wouldn't ? Because rest is already there ...

I agree that this would vastly increase useability and simplify workflow of resampling.

Yes that would do the trick for a single input option (which is the most needed option). Also if the dev does end up allowing AudioBus audio input, here would be a good place to record direct from AB

• :+1: ok lets see what will Matt say :-)

• Fingers crossed :)

• Or, maybe the current Record dialog just needs a shortcut to the current 'Mixdown' dialog that would autoload the mix down into the slate pad/obsidian oscillator from which the Record dialog was triggered? That has the benefit of including all of the fixed length recording options already.

My guess is Matt has already sorted this out in his brain and time just won the battle. But not the war!