Note Repeat / Arp

I have bought NS2 some month ago.
And while i still think its the best iOS DAW one thing i havent understood yet, is the lack of a simple Note Repeat / Arp functionality..
I would call NS2 a loop / midi clip based and workflow optimized DAW due to its lack auf Audiotracks (which i am not missing). In terms of the UI of the DAW and the FX NS2 its a dream. But, i see one big problem/ design flaw:
The most Producers of electronic music use some kind of Note Repeat or Arps for making a quick groove without programming. On a mac/ PC based DAW it is either a midi insert, integrated in the VST synth or comes with a controller like, push / maschine or in recent times even with cheap small 25 keys Keyboards.

The traditional musicians, need audiotracks in any case..
So its not DAW for those people but also not suited for the typical workflow of electronic music producers..
The Midi Clip Editor comes also not with much features optimized foor quick jamming, like a real step sequencer..
Maybe its either a DAW for traditional musicians, switching to clip based electronic music and are able to playing safe 16th note HATs on Drumpads or it is a DAW for programmers which like to draw every note with a pen tool.. I am writing here, beacuse every other DAW on iOS is either limited with the sampler (Cubasis) or have big UI flaws like BM3 or are perfect for jamming but the the possibilities are over soon (iMaschine). For me iOS music production in general, is still in a toy stadium but if i would have to decide for one App now i would choose NS2..

Comments

• edited September 2020

I would suggest you Rozetta plugins - there is nice simple arpeggiator (and other midi generating plugins like simple stepmsequencer, various random note generators and so on), you just load it into MIDIfx insert effects slot .. it works like a breeze.. and for more comples arpeggios and sequences there is StepPolyArp AU midi fx - works also perfectky in NS - using both a lot..

• Yeah, i heard about. But i need the controls close to the drumpads to switch between 16th and 8th notes etc. fast while switching between pads etc. for a Arpeggio with a synth this is a nice solution. For me its one of the most important things for an mobile device to stay in flow and stay in a playing state more than in programming.
    While in all other Areas NS2 hits the sweetspot between playability and complexity, without needles stuff, in Terms of getting Beats into the DAW the most other Apps do this in an nice and integrated way, even Cubasis with its very limited Sampler... I love NS2 for its nice UI, the workflow and focus on the right selection of well made plugins, but in Terms of playing and getting beats fast into the Software, iMaschine has still the edge, while its just a idea Sketchbook..

• @NIELS_ON said:
    Yeah, i heard about. But i need the controls close to the drumpads to switch between 16th and 8th notes etc. fast while switching between pads etc. for a Arpeggio with a synth this is a nice solution.

Agreed. Live switching note-repeat on/off—as well as adjusting the interval in real time—is sort of critical for certain styles of drum programming.

I get around this in what probably sounds like a cumbersome process but it works ok for me. First, copy the pad to multiple pads. Then, record each pad as if autobeat were on and each pad represents a different interval (like one is 8, one is 16th, one 32nd, one 16T...). Then, go make it so in the sequencer. Again, sounds like a stretch but works pretty well in practice.

• Or you can use the sample editor with beat grid turned on and chop the sample into the beat division lengths you want to use. Then set the pads to loop. They also work live.

But yeah, it’s a lot of work.

• +1
    Yes, please! Latch function for notes. Something like in BM3 or MPC hardware.

Arpeggiator inside of Obsidian would also be VERY welcome. Nothing fancy, perhaps something based on the UI and functionality of what’s inside AudioKit synth’s.

Thanks for your work.